Sign in to follow this  
Douglas Hicks

Interior lights

Winter is coming, and with winter comes more dark, less light. I need to install ceiling lights in my trailer. I have used flouresent tube lights in the past, but they hang down and get hit with stuff. I have LED lights in my Spinter, but would rather not pay $40.00 per light. The trailer is 12 x 7 wide, I think I need about 10 lights, so LEDs would be $400.00.

I need to replace the battery for the lights. Is the really expensive Optima battery worth the extra money? I will connect the aux battery to the tow vehicle, not the PW battery.

What has worked for others?

Edited by Douglas Hicks

Winter is coming, and with winter comes more dark, less light. I need to install ceiling lights in my trailer. I have used flouresent tube lights in the past, but they hang down and get hit with stuff. I have LED lights in my Spinter, but would rather not pay $40.00 per light. The trailer is 12 x 7 wide, I think I need about 10 lights, so LEDs would be $400.00.

I need to replace the battery for the lights. Is the really expensive Optima battery worth the extra money? I will connect the aux battery to the tow vehicle, not the PW battery.

What has worked for others?

Try northern tool they sell LED lights for 29 a unit . put 2 on the side door of the van and 2 at the rear doors of the van. If you spend a few minutes planning the mounting out you can mount them so they can be swung in or outside the van for interior or area light. We have had them on for 4 hrs on jobs and did not kill the battery.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200512422_200512422

Edited by Alexy

I clean hood so I have access to power. I use 6 halogen lights mounted on the top of my trailer. Each side is wired to it own switch so that I am only running what is needed. Inside the trailer I have 2 4' florescent lights. I have used the LED rope lights in the bed of my truck before. The LED rope lights work great and use very light power. They do not put off a lot of light if your needing them to work under, but are great to light an area so that you can see what you need.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/aluminum-light-bars/wlf-series-high-power-led-waterproof-light-bar-fixture/680/

Waterproof, prewired on both sides, 360 lumens, have two magnets attached.

I hang two above rear doors of the van and the whole cargo area is lit up.

Edited by Andrew Bandarovich

If the lights keep on getting hit and damaged. U can build a cage with thin wire welded.

Optima batteries are great. Just got to be careful how you charge them.

Since led lights dont use a lot of power the pw charging unit may have enough power to run the burner and the lights at the same time.

Hi guys, 

First post, but nowhere to introduce myself. From the UK, 

As for the lighting, i used some of these in my van 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181214607198?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

You have to run some wires, and buy a switch, but they are cheap, LED so wont run your battery down at all and they give off great light. I put 8 in my van at various spots, and with the lights, wire, a switch and an inline fuse all in it cost me about £30 (not sure in USD)

there should be something similar available over there, but i know these came from china, so im assuming you could order some direct from the same place as i got them. 

Very pleased with the light given off. 

2013-10-12184134450x253_zps2b9076b5.jpg

Edited by Precise UK

Please stay away from optima batteries. They used to be good 10 years ago, but they have changed their manufacturing and materials, and now they fail rapidly.

A group of us are into off-roading and have heavily modified and even custom vehicles with winches and tend to be hard on batteries.  Optimas used to be the standard, but now we have a pile of 'em sitting in the corner, and several of them have been swapped out under warranty.  They just don't last much past 2 years.  We have used red and yellow tops. 

Look into Odyssey  Batteries, If your going to spend the $$ on a good one theses are about the best at the moment. Sears Platinum batteries are rebadged Odyssey.