Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

A poll for lurkers...

Why do you choose to read but not post?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you choose to read but not post?

• Afraid of public criticism
    • Learning - new and studying
    • Prefer to be anonymous
    • Not sure I have something to share, but will when I feel I can
    • No time to post. Barely have time to read.
    • Other (post in thread, or just check box)

Question

There are many people who read and never post. Some are new, some are not. In the spirit of continuous improvement, we would like to know why you lurk and don't post. Is there something that can be done to encourage participation?

Please take a moment to vote on this poll.

Beth & Rod :lurker:

27 answers to this question

Reading the questions sort of makes me wonder about those that lurk and more so for those that reply.

Do not be afraid of public critisim as no one intentionally puts you down, we only want to help and the reason you feel your being critisized is because you probably did not know the answer to what your seeking, hench you feel foolish. Remember the is no dumb question so ask and learn.

Learning, new and studying: Then ask questions or if you feel embarassed send someone Email and ask privately but ASK, we all have been down that road.

Anonymous: In other words you feel foolish to show your face because you did not shave of if female have facial hair. Or you're SPYING for another BBS.

Try being in my shoes, born 65% deaf, speak funny, sort of going blind and still I am here so what is your excuse?

What do you mean you are not sure if you have something to share, everyone has something to share and if you don't share it others will not read it and ask questions to learn more about what you just shared. SO SHARE it!

No time to post and barely time to read, then how come your are reading this? Those that answer this question have way to much time on their hands and should be out selling or working, sleeping, cutting the lawn, painting the house, helping the better half do the laundry and dishes and more so don't dare tell me you BARELY have any time on your hands. I bet what ever your hobby is you find all the time in the world to enjoy it so spare some of that time here and POST.

"Other" Now I can barely wait to read some of the OTHER EXCUSES here.

Did I do ok for a mostly deaf part blind forced into retirement pressure washer?

Figured you would say I did so you can too so put those fingers to work and post.

I would probably be considered a "true lurker", but I rarely post messages, for a couple of reasons. First, I often am not as knowledgeable as others on some subjects (my primary biz does not currently match with others on board are doing), so my input would not be as valuable. Second, I don't like repeating information, so if a question has been asked & answered, I figure everyone benefits when I don't recycle info. Third, there is the time element - usually I fire through messages, reading only those of "high priority".

Ditto on some of the other reasons, but another reason why my be that some people either can't type, or they may be lacking in quality writing skills and/or articulating there thoughts on paper.

I for one can type, and I also post somewhat frequently, but happen to be a horrible wriiter and have always had a difficult time expressing or conveying my thoughts through writing. therefore, if I know that my post will take more than just a simple explanation than I don't even bother adding my 2 cents.

P.S. When I took my English Comp classes in college, it would take me hours to write papers that others could bang out in there sleep. Also, knowing how to type does'nt do you much good if it takes you forever to figure out what to write.

Hmm, I will be nice here but people can always read the post, open MS Word or Word Perfect, type out what you want to say, run spell check, copy and paste.

As for English, my English teacher in college made it clear I would fail if I did not pay more attention and stop sleeping!

As for repeat questions that has long been the norm on every board around and those that have shut down.

One reason is many either don't use the "search" or they might enter a wrong word not knowing exactly what word to use. Some truly do not know that search can bring up tons of information on a specific subject here.

I can understand how many would feel asking questions when they are new or in a slightly different line of work but I have never looked down on anyone asking questions.

And for laughs just think about all those that only want to buy a little Home depot pressure washer for their house! Oh yes we get those questions all the time and a lot of them think they can make big bucks using it professionally too.

And many Pro's did indeed start out with them, really.

Hmm, I will be nice here but people can always read the post, open MS Word or Word Perfect, type out what you want to say, run spell check, copy and paste.

Sorry, but wrong. There's a lot more to quality inteligent writing then spellcheck.

CCPC I was not referring to being a professional writer by using a spell check, just that for those that feel they have poor English or spelling it can help with the right word, sometimes, not always.

There are a few whose spelling is bad yet we understand what they are trying to say and that is the main thing here.

Are you picking on me because I can read good yet?:lgkeyboar

I have been "lurking" for quite some time now. (About 6 months) I actually did a lot of studying on this board prior to starting up. When I come in and read the posts, I find that there are much more experienced people that can answer the questions that I cannot. They usually do and I learn a little more.

I will share if anyone wants to know. I started my biz in July of 2004. I live in Southern California, so most of my work is flatwork. Have done some house washes....ahhhh not a real fan of that, but do it just the same. I started completely residential and worked myself into some commercial accounts. I have some steady commercial accounts and have done fair for being in business for just a short time.

My equipment set up is pretty nice. I have a 14' trailer with a Landa PGHW-5-3500, two 210 Gallon tanks. One reclaim, one fresh water, generator lights, filtration system...the works

Thanks to everyone here for letting me lurk (or learn as I see it) for so long.....

Oh yeah...my name is Rick

I am here because I want to make a living doing this. I've always wanted to own my own business, it fits my personality. I'm sick of being a wage slave. I lurked a while because of the amount of information that is available through the search engine. There was no reason to sign up and just start running my mouth like I own the board. I've just recently started posting a few questions and was involved in my first chat the other night. Everyone has been very willing to help. I don't think there is anything wrong with testing the waters a little bit before diving in. I feel like I've known some of you for a while just from reading so many of your posts. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you at the convention. This board and others is all my business is so far, besides the name I chose. So I have a lot to learn, and I will post more in the future.

I am here because I want to make a living doing this. I've always wanted to own my own business, it fits my personality. I'm sick of being a wage slave. I lurked a while because of the amount of information that is available through the search engine. There was no reason to sign up and just start running my mouth like I own the board. I've just recently started posting a few questions and was involved in my first chat the other night. Everyone has been very willing to help. I don't think there is anything wrong with testing the waters a little bit before diving in. I feel like I've known some of you for a while just from reading so many of your posts. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you at the convention. This board and others is all my business is so far, besides the name I chose. So I have a lot to learn, and I will post more in the future.

JB, nice to meet a fellow hoosier. Welcome to the Grime Scene.

Hi Rick, Bill3752, and any others who have yet to post in this thread.

Great to see you contributing here and we all look forward to more.

The one thing I would like to point out to all who are new to this industry is this:

We all come from different walks of life and have had different experiences which helps us to approach things in a different way. Not everyone does everything the same way all the time. Keeping this in mind, your contributions are valuable here to all. And for those who have a few years under your belts, please keep an open mind concerning differences. They exemplify who we are and the community we all can share here. This also helps us gain an understanding of other points of view. Its a very diverse place here on TGS. We are proud of it!

For anyone who cares to contribute to the poll or this thread,

Please, be our guest! :) We welcome your response.

Rod~

I lurk most of the time and I have posted a few times. I am abig listener when it comes to learning. God gave me two ears(two eyes) and one mouth. I enjoy the site very much. I have read alot of the old posts and have found good info. If I need a question answered I wont hesitate to post. Once again this is a great source of info I really enjoy it.

Beth, I think something that helps a "lurker" keep on lurking is the ability to view all forums as a guest and not having to register to view them. I dont know if this is a good idea, but how about just having the Newbie Forum open to guest and the others locked out to registered members.

Put a sticky note on top of the newbie Forum letting others know if they register they can view all the other forums. Once they are registered that might encourage them to participate more in the forums and threads as they wont have to register just to make a reply, (because they already have) just click and type. I think this would help out alot. After all isent the idea behind the BBS for everyone to participate? You can also have the FAQ area unlocked to guest if you'd like. Just an idea.

Well I wouldnt think it would cut it out totally, but it would help? There are somedays I come here and just view and dont post because I dont have much to contribute, but when I do have something I might want to add, its alot easier because I'm a member, this was just an idea I thought I would toss into the mix.

"guest" lurkers can't view much other than say the Club House, and get a message encouraging them to join. The forums can be seen but not read by non-members.

Members can read or post. Hope this helps. :)

Beth

I'm not so sure about that. I can log out and view messages in many different forums if not all of them. It shows a lock in the icon, but I can click and view them all. Anyways this was just an idea, even if it wasent a good one :idea:

Mike :)

08:43 AM Guest Viewing Thread

What makes people buy goods or services?

08:44 AM Guest Viewing Archives

Detergent

08:38 AM Guest Viewing Forum

Bargain Basement

08:32 AM Guest Viewing Index

The Grime Scene

Beth, as a guest you can not respond to post, but you can read all of them. I didnt mean to open a can of worms, I was just responding to the "lurkers" thread, maybe if we didnt allow guest to view the threads, meaning they would need to sign up as a member to view them, they wouldnt lurk. As a member they would be able to respond to threads also raising the participation. The way it is now a guest can view all forums as much as they want, they cant respond, but they can view and that adds to the "lurking" issue that started this thread.

Mike,

Please don't apologize. We appreciate the input and that you brought this up. You should be able to see some forums. But others should not be there. Can you email me and let me know which you see as guest and which you don't? And THANK YOU for bringing this up. If we need to tweak something, we can't tweak it if we don't know it needs tweaking...

Beth :groovy:

What's wrong with lurking? It's not a crime now is it? I don't get on line as often of most of you all. When I do the topics that interest me have been bandied about 15 different ways to Sunday, by the same 8 people usually, I might add. The fact is as long as I am not breaking the law, I will continue reading when I can and responding when I feel the urge. Thanks.

I am a firm believer that anyone can contribute knowledge of this industry...no matter how long you have been doing it. You can be a newbie or someone that has been around the block a few times.

When a newbie post a suggestion...I take it as serious advice. When a veteran post a suggestion...I also take it as serious advice.