Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Pumps, which do you use most?

Best specs for shurflo or flojet pump (gpm,psi, ac or dc)  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Best specs for shurflo or flojet pump (gpm,psi, ac or dc)

• GPM: .75-1
    • GPM: 1.2-1.6
    • GPM: 1.8-2.4
    • PSI:40-60
    • PSI:60-100
    • PSI:100-150
    • PSI:150-200
    • PSI:200+
    • 12 Volt DC
    • 115 Volt AC

Of the 2 popular pumps on the market, which do you rely on the most and what are its specs.

GPM=

PSI=

Valves= (viton, epdm, buna etc.)

Diaphram= (santoprene,viton,epdm etc.)

Bypass valve or no Bypass valve.

12v or 115v,

amps=

If you could also include a short note why the specs are important to the work you use it for.

Rod~

I've been using a 1.8 gpm 60 psi shur flo set up for years for all my chems and staining.Oh 12 volt of course which is needed for some jobs where no electricity is available.All viton Valves and Diaphram in all pumps.

Until recent i tried a more expensive flo jet to see the difference in the 2.I found out the flo jet being a 2 stage pump compared to the 3 stage shur flo.The FLo jet is not good a pump as the shurflo.

Does someone know if the FLo jet has a pressure switch on it?

I looked allover and didn't see one.

12 volt, 3.6 gpm, 60 psi Shurflo. Viton valves and seals. Pressure switched. With 200 feet of 1/2" line I get decent flow and pressure with no pulsing.

I also use a 12 volt, 1.8 gpm to feed my X-Jet. Its a quick change bewteen pumps depending on application with a dedicated 800 cca marine battery.

Depend on application. I have a 150 psi Shur Flo with viton rings, etc. because I handle strong acids. I use the largest pump that uses the design with no screw in the chemical path (corrosion issue).

I use a 3 gpm shurflo primarily for roof applications and a 1.8 gpm shurflo for concrete and wood applicatfions. Its hard to believe somthing so small can be such a work horse. I run those things to death and they just keep on going.

I've been using a 1.8 gpm 60 psi shur flo set up for years for all my chems and staining.Oh 12 volt of course which is needed for some jobs where no electricity is available.All viton Valves and Diaphram in all pumps.

Ditto for me.

I've only used ShurFlos, and have had very good performance from them. Chemicals have no effect on pump operation at all.

A large marine battery allows me to work all week on a single charge. It's heavy, but suits me well. Too many sites don't have 110v available. Many outside receptacles are switched, and even though I mention to them to leave the switch on, at least half the time they forget.

I plan on installing a 12v pigtail connector in the trailer, so I can plug into it during transit times. That should keep the battery full charged all the time.

Tony,

Charging the battery with your trucks electrical system is a great idea.I have seen it dione in the past.However,if you don't allow the battery to discharge almost complete and continuosly peak the charge you will make your run times shorter and shorter.Battery cells build up a memory after repeated peak charges,so a battery that you would normally run all week can turn into a battery you can use for 1 day or less.

Tony,

Charging the battery with your trucks electrical system is a great idea.I have seen it dione in the past.However,if you don't allow the battery to discharge almost complete and continuosly peak the charge you will make your run times shorter and shorter.Battery cells build up a memory after repeated peak charges,so a battery that you would normally run all week can turn into a battery you can use for 1 day or less.

Why not run the pump off the truck's electrical system? As long as you have a decent battery, you're not going to run it down enough to matter.

I run my pump off the battery on my washer. I've run it for several hours without running the battery too low to start the machine.

Tony,

I don't think this is an accurate statement. If the battery were Nickle Cadmium, then yes. A lead acid plated battery, no.

Running down nearly complete and recharging is not a good idea with a deep cycle marine battery. In fact, the best idea is to keep it on a trickle charger if it has to be stored for extended periods, to keep it at full charge.

Thank you all for the responses to this thread and the poll.

The results are pretty specific for the most part at this point.

1.2-1.6 & 1.8-2.4 gpm pumps are the most common.

60-100 psi is the preferred pressure (no pun intended there Alan :lgwave: )

and DC power has taken the lead!

My pump is 1.2 gpm, 60psi, 12vdc and is used for applying chems.

We will keep it open in the event someone else would like to contribute.

:seeya: Rod~

Mike,

Thank you for letting me know that. Good info.

Anyone else use large volume pumps? What do you use them for?

Also, what other brand of pumps do you use? Why?

Rod~

why are you asking, if you dont mind me asking...lol

how much gpm would you consider to be large volume...

i use a hypro gas powered pump for chemical

application and rinsing, or for washing anything

where high pressure isnt required. most of the time

i just use the garden hose with flow rates between 5 and 10 gpm and psi betwen 60 and 150.

I've used a 3.8gpm shurflo for years. Correction: For years I've used the 3.8gpms shurflos.

I got my first 5.3gpm Flojet last week in the mail. Can't wait to test it out. (trailer is still being outfitted)