Sign in to follow this  
Patrick Rhea

HD-80 over SH? When?

Question

I just wanted to know when is it better to use one over the other when stripping finishes off? We don't do a lot of decks unless a customer insists so we are looking at the best way to Strip, neutralize, then seal with a good commercial stain like-Wood Tux.

2000 sq ft deck with railing

Three years since stained

Unknown stain used some peeling

Very dry wood on one side of the house-

Signature wont post from ipad? sorry....working on it

www.fastfinishor.com

Edited by Patrick Rhea
signature

11 answers to this question

Sodium Hydroxide based strippers are used to remove oil-based finishes. If you use Bleach (sodium hypochlorite), being that it is a caustic, it too will pull out oil-based sealers, though not as effectively as Sodium Hydroxide. When removing water-based finishes, acylics, or other finishes, sodium hydroxide-based cleaners are not effective. There are many different strippers available and there is most deffinetly products available to remove any finish. For the non-oil-based finishes, these strippers can get more costly, hazardous, and time consuming. Yet they do work and will make the removal easier than not using them. Your supplier should be able to give you choices for the specific job you are doing. They should also be able to help you understand exactly how to use them for best result. If you need any help in this area please feel free to contact us.

I am having a difficult time determining what finish was used for some projects.. Is there a specific test that you can do to figure out if it was a water based or acrylic finish?

Sent from my iPhone

I am having a difficult time determining what finish was used for some projects.. Is there a specific test that you can do to figure out if it was a water based or acrylic finish?

Patrick,

Mix up a quart or so of sodium hydroxide based wood stripper. Use an equivalent strength of say 8 to 10 oz. per gal. of water. Put in a spray bottle for testing. It has a long shelf life.

If the stain starts to emulsify within a few minutes, it is probably an oil. Caveat, there are some water based finishes that can be removed with strong, hot mix sodium hydroxide strippers, especially if additives such as surfactant and "boosters" are used.

Patrick,

Mix up a quart or so of sodium hydroxide based wood stripper. Use an equivalent strength of say 8 to 10 oz. per gal. of water. Put in a spray bottle for testing. It has a long shelf life.

If the stain starts to emulsify within a few minutes, it is probably an oil. Caveat, there are some water based finishes that can be removed with strong, hot mix sodium hydroxide strippers, especially if additives such as surfactant and "boosters" are used.

Great idea- I have test bottles I use for our other cleaning jobs.

What is the preferred method for acrylic removal?..... Besides running away? Can regular acrylic floor strippers work w/o damaging the wood at all?

Sent from my iPhone

Great idea- I have test bottles I use for our other cleaning jobs.

What is the preferred method for acrylic removal?..... Besides running away? Can regular acrylic floor strippers work w/o damaging the wood at all?

Patrick,

I have no idea what "regular acrylic floor strippers" are. We only work on exterior wood.

We primarily use 3 different products for exterior acrylic stripping. 2 out of the 3 are more benign (gentle) to the wood than hot sodium hydroxide mixes. The most costly is north of $60/gallon and you can wash your hands in it. Does no damage to the wood. Or your skin.

Edited by RPetry

Patrick,

I have no idea what "regular acrylic floor strippers" are. We only work on exterior wood.

We primarily use 3 different products for exterior acrylic stripping. 2 out of the 3 are more benign (gentle) to the wood than hot sodium hydroxide mixes. The most costly is north of $60/gallon and you can wash your hands in it. Does no damage to the wood. Or your skin.

What are all three if you can tell me? or PM me with the names/ labels if that is more appropriate. Floor strippers are high alkaline and usually contain or resemble a strong ammonia?

1. BTN BFSII. Originally a Back to Nature product, sold to Sunnyside Corp. a few years ago.

2. PPG Duraprep 220

3. Eaco Chem Stripper Cream. Highly caustic, will strip flesh to the bone.

I found a good test for acrylic coatings- basically alcohol on a clean cloth will remove color not dirt if it is acrylic. Now I have my tester kit when I go out on deck bids from now on.

This is a great site, and thanks for all the input.

Sent from the Fast Finish IPad

www.fastfinishor.com

You do this long enough you can just look at the finish and see its acrylic.When you see a shine to the coating I think is a good give away.Most homeowners will mostly buy from the big box stores and its usually the Behr Acrylic "7 yr warranty" yeah right?

Go walk down the Depot or Lowes isles and look at all the stains and you will see what you will be stripping. Now Sherwin Williams you either get veggie oil or water base. You will get some Waterbase stains being a PITA to strip also. Now how long some coatings since have been applied makes a big difference on how easy they strip especially verticals. I test with stripper since that's what I'll be using. I know of guys using Easy off oven cleaner to do test areas also I'm not sure how much sodium hydroxide is in it but should be enough to work.

If you look at all the pics I've posted sodium hydroxide is all I've ever used to strip and I've stripped my share of acrylic decks. You have to be patient to dwell and be prepared to strip multiple time in some cases.Some sanding might be needed also.

They are never fun so don't sell yourself short on pricing these difficult jobs!