Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

What would you charge?

Question

This is a deck that we are bidding on for stripping & staining. We have a price in mind to charge but at this point have not factored in additional for the "no access" upper level. We'll be bidding the house wash as well (this one has a brick front that was never properly pressure washed so can drastically improve there), driveway & sidewalk will probably be bonus if we get job.

Thanks for opinions -

Celeste

22 answers to this question

Celeste,

Ignore my reply on the pwna bbs. I didnt know you were looking to have the undersides done as well. With the SqFt given,

B.P. = 3600.00 - 3800.00 strip and seal using WT.

Hope this helps.

Rod~

Celeste,

Do you figure out the sqft of all the 2x12's or 2x8's whichever is underneath the upper deck?

How much Lft of railing is that 100 -150?

Are you including the railing at the sqft?

Doing the upper deck by hand...spraying?

I would try to mask the house with plastic. So higher $$ when i have to use plastic.

I would charge a little more sqft wise for the upper deck.$1-1.50

Oh and that looks like vynal siding?

I hate working around that stuff!!

That upper section and underneath i wouldn't look forward to doing but the lower deck you should be able to fly thru it :)

I would say $2500-$3000

With all rails, posts, joists, supports, treads, and risers I am guessing by phto that you have about 3500 sf. The upper deck alone is close to 1000 sf of surface wood if not a little more, not to mention the aggravation factor of working over your head with caustic stripper. To be safe, I would estimate 30 gallons of stain. Here is how I break it down.

For a job this size I would discount to $.90/sf + materials. I would then add another $250 for the height and difficulty of top tier.

Strip, Ph balance and light sanding $1,550.00

Seal (rails hand rubbed, full prep w/plastic) $1,600.00

Materials $900.00

Extra cost $250

Final cost to customer $4,300. Job would be broken down into 4 days.

If you spray and backbrush, which I think you will on a deck this size, you definitely want to cover the majority of the back of the house with plastic, to be safe. Some say overkill, I say it's necessary. 10x10's on a roll at Walmart are easy to handle for one person or 2 and are cheap. 2 hours max with 2 people will save you a world of hurt or lawsuits.

Oh yeah, don't leave out the bench on the lower level, they add a good amount of work and I've been burn't in the past over looking them.

After all sq. feet including railings etc, are added up, for God's sake don't go below $1.00 a square minimum!! For precarb cleaning, brightening and staining with Wood Tux.

Here's a horror story from a few months ago to back up plastic. I brushed a 1700 square foot deck by hand with wood tux because it was too windy for even plastic to stay on that week. I didn't think I would need plastic, but even with brushing the wind blew it all over the vinyl, I noticed later. It was a devil getting it off. My sixth sense told me to, but my need for speed stopped me. Word to the wise, use plastic and masking tape!!

Celeste,

I take it that you don't do the linear measurement stuff right? As I recall your excel and mine are basically one in the same. So there is no linear measurements, it's all SF'd.

This job would be in the neighborhood of just under 4k. And that's factoring in about 250.00 for the "ladder work" you will need for the upper deck. Got to hate those don't ya?????

What was the excel total?

Reed

Reed,

I ballparked it in the spreadsheet that I modified from yours and came in around $4000. could go either way about $300 based on my PFA numbers.

BTW, I sent you an updated copy with s.f. fixed costs..I hope you got it..if not lemme know and I'll ship it over pronto. I sent a copy to Celeste too, so unless she changed it, it should be the same one as you have.

Cujo

Could you send it to me one more time please? In fact I would like to see if others have made modifications and how they work.

I thought the price would be near 4K.

Reed

Reed, I don't know if Roger used the spread sheet or just scribbled down how you measured and figured it that way. If we ever bump into each other again this week I'll ask him.

Cujo, I didn't get an email from you :( Will you try again?

Thanks,

Celeste

Cujo,

Can i get a copy of that spreadsheet?

I would like to see if i can make my life a little easier.

I've been adding all my numbers the old fashion way.I even figure the sqft per boards of the 2x8's or 2x12 on my arbors.I try not sell myself short anywhere on the sqft of a job.

seymore1024@gmail.com

I'm new here to TGS, but this will be my 8th year in business - all part time as I a am a teacher year round. I would love to see these pricing spread sheets that everyone is talking about. Would someone be so kind as to send one my way? My emai is caseclean@yahoo.com

If anyone is apprehensive sharing this with an unkown, I understand. Please feel free to test me. Ask me a question that I should know the answer to and if I respond adquately, and if you so choose, you could share this information with me.

Thank You!

Duane

Hey Duane,

Test you? I think your regular day job may be shining through a bit..lol

I'd send you a spread sheet on pricing but we generally price a job by the job so it wouldn't mean anything you to. Plus pricing could be completly different even 30 miles from where I live.

Duane Case,

Welcome, I love your attitude. We all share here. Please check out my site http://www.pressurewashinginstitute.com/board/upload/

TGS & *** are the best places to share info. Beth has taken the Number one spot know for years.

This site is great and is number one, its of the edge of greatness.

The effort to make TGS the best is all beth and her posters.

Welcome to TGS

Thanks for all your help... and support. I will check out these leads. I want to get a better grasp on pricing because I generally get every deck job I bid and all the work has been by repeat or referal for the last two years without advertising anywhere. I'm not an economics major, but I suspect I am not charging a competitive price (too low), so I would like to get a grasp on pricing for new customers while gradually bringing up prices to reflect closer market value for repeat customers.

I gathered that this is a top-notch site. Kudos to Beth - must be a lot of time and care to organize such a well structured site. Also, I am interested in many of the products you cary in your store.

Duane