Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Vehicle Registration

Question

:topic: This post is off the cleaning topic but...

We recently bought a new vehicle. The way the state of Indiana charges for vehicle registration is by the value and year of your vehicle. The more its worth and the newer it is, the more your registration is going to cost starting from a couple hundred dollars to many hundred dollars. It's almost like your being punished for not trying a rust bucket that kills the ozone with its black smoke every mile down the road.

I was talking to a friend in Illinois that told me the his registration for a new vehicle only ran him $50.00 (several hundered less then I had to pay) and he told me it was that way down south as well ...I just assumed all these years that everyone paid as much as we do for vehicle registration, so my long winded question would be, how much does vehicle registration average in your state? Does it matter if your vehicle is new or used or is it the same price for all?

10 answers to this question

Our registration is not much either, less than 50.00, BUT where Missouri gets you is in that you have to pay personal property tax on it evey year and when you buy a vehicle new or used, you have to pay the sales tax directly to the Department of Revenue at the time you get your plates or you don't get your plates. You can't finance the sales tax in this state either like you can in others.

If you get a new BIG truck, you better save some $$$ for the sales tax.

Reed

ps, in IL, when you need new plates, watch out, they will cost you plenty.

Join the crowd, CA charges that way too but worst all pickups, even the mini's are classified commercial vehicles and charged as such.

Now Oregon charges a flat rate of I believe $35 every two years regardless of if it is a car or motorhome. Not sure about those monster trucks.

It is one way states steal our money, keep an older car here in CA and you have to have it smog tested and fixed before you can renew and most of those smog stations always find something to fix even if there is nothing really wrong.

I pay around $550 a year right now but it was like close to $700 the first year for my 2002 F250 Super Duty.

Georgia also has an Ad Valorem (value) tax.

It is based on vehicle value AND on which county you live in.

For example; if you have a new shiny new, top end, Mercedes and live in the white flight north Fulton County district, you could easily expect to pay three to four thousand dollars per year for your tag.

If you have a beat up 69 Chevy pickup and live in oh, say...Plains Georgia where they have many peanuts, much cotton, a lot of dirt roads, and not much else you could expect to pay about twelve dollars per year (state minimum).

My brother lives in upstate NY and they charge a penny per pound of vehicle weight for the tags..

Ct is the tax state-Each town has their own car tax and property tax. I pay about 3000k a year for 2 vans and a mini van. Plus about 6000k for house. Add all the other stuff insur. medical ect.................................. It sucks in a fun way I think ?

here in Chicago, the truck plate registration is about $95 per year, the trailer is $78.......we get hit with the "city sticker" every year which is another $95 per year, for each vehicle........and if you have a pick up of any kind or commercial plates, there are MANY roads your not allowed to drive on. Plus if your not actively working, we cant park a p/u on ANY street.....