Sign in to follow this  
tidyjet

Websites

I'd like to get some feedback from you guys using websites.

I think this is one of the most effective marketing tools for the market segment I'm targeting. I would prefer trainable and educated customers. They'll expect a URL on my business card so as to get more information about my services if they would chose to.

eg. a buddy of mine w/a photography business finds that 80% of his hits are during business hours and w/broadband connections. This tells him that he can go heavy with graphics and flash on his site amongst other things. Most of his customers are shopping the web not the yellow pages.

For the market segment I'm targeting, I think a website will be very effective. I'd like to be able to optimize my site so that the guy who's looking/searching/googling for information about pressure washing, or about buying a pressure washer would come across my service on the 1st page search and perhaps opt to simply have me perform the service for him. At least he'll be able to get an education on power/pressure washing on the site. Most importantly, it'll help me in qualifying my customer.

My question to those of you with websites is how effective a tool in your box is it? And how are you using it?

paul

My opinion is the most important things you can have in order of importance are these:

(not inculding equipment and stuff, just for marketing your company)

1 website

2 magnetic business cards

3 client database with regular contact.

Take a look at my site if you like, it does pretty well to inform my clients and give examples of our work.

I don't agree with the large files though, for photography it makes sense but for power washing, a few pictures are acceptable. Expecially roll overs like I use, it gives that WOW effect.

Give me a call if you have any questions or just post them here.

Is the web design software that is sold at electronic/computer stores worthwhile? Instead of struggling thru that, maybe a pro in the field of web design would be beneficial in achieving a professional website as opposed to me trying to do it myself...??? What could I expect to pay for a website to be designed, maintained etc...? I understand that it depends on things as how elaborate the site is etc, just looking for a ballpark figure... I don't know if they cost $100 or $10,000........

You can host a site including your domain name registration for around a 100 dollars a year with Ipowerweb.com. They are a one of the best hosting services that I have found and they also have free resources available on their site like: how to market and promote your site, and website free website submission to 50 of the top search engines.

My opinion is the most important things you can have in order of importance are these:

(not inculding equipment and stuff, just for marketing your company)

1 website

2 magnetic business cards

3 client database with regular contact.

This is along the lines of the way I'm thinking Henry. There's also no question about the WOW effect w/regard to webpages. Everyone here has done a great job on their web page productions

I'm working towards getting the above lined up and doing business as an LLC. I'm actually less concerned about the equipment (for the moment) which I don't have yet. I to am experiencing the same frustrations Lou vented about in that respect. And why are folks trying to get nearly what they paid for their used stuff? Com'on let's get real! ....oops, sorry that should be in the "venting" thread.

If I do get jobs before being operational equipment wise; I'm certain someone will be happy to contract with me to take care of those jobs.

Beth,

I've noted your good web work. Hopefully I'll have my logo/illustration ready to show you Roundtable time. Once I have that I can create the uniformity between business card, website, and illustration on truck and/or trailer.

I believe the going rate for web sites is anywhere between 50-100 dollars a page, it all depends on how much information or text you have to place on them. If someone had to write all that for you it would be more expensive.

I've created quite a few websites myself but I've usually done it for non profit groups or for free to a couple buddies. If you have any questions or want some help, let me know.

Here are a couple of sites that I've done in the past.

www.henryshousework.com

www.thegermantowngems.com

Paul...before spending money on a website make sure that your market is really going to be there. I am sure you have done your research but alot of people are under the misconception that if I have a website then my customers will log on and things will be great!

I am a firm believer that a successful "active" website is a direct result of your company's creditability in the area, customer loyalty and good old fashion selling. You would really want your business momentum to PUSH you into the direction of creating and maintaining a website for your business vs. thinking you need to have this to attract customers. If your company does good work and you have a positive reputation then your customer will overlook the fact that one does not have a website.

Carlos does have a point, make sure there's a market for your services in your area. If your expecting a website to get your name out there to possible cleints, your in for a suprise. They can help you close a sale and show pictures of your work and give information about your services and the company but not much more. I use my site for cross marketing, all my ads say see my website for discounts and other services. This way one add can draw leads for other services we provide without having to run an ad for every service we provide.

Here is where you definitely get what you pay for. I have seen all the websites of various pressure washing companies around the net. Some of them look very good and are quite impressive. With that being said and cutting to the chase, most do not look as good as one done by a professional design company. I'm talking about something that goes for at least 3-5 grand though. Most would not deem that worthwhile in terms of the outlay. But I am getting more and more convinced that a properly designed website with easy navigation, a ton of pictures and nice custom artwork and logos is the key to winning someone over and letting them know you are a true exterior cleaning contractor, not a hack with a pressure washer.

If you are just starting out, you can get a decent design for about $750 bucks. It will be better than having nothing at all. The WYSIWYG editors like Frontpage, Coffee Cup, and Dreamweaver are all very good programs. You can actually design a nice site yourself but be prepared to spend alot of hours to make something look good. There is a learning curve with all of them. --Ken

Ken does have a point but most service based companies don't use or need a website that costs that much. You can make your own if you like there are a lot of programs out there that make it easy. BUT, you also have to know how to set them up for search engines and local ranking. If your providing numerous services like I do it's more complicated than just working with one like deck cleaning. The more services you want to highlight the more information you have to have and the proper layout for each service gets more difficult.

I'm not a high paid website designer by any means but I've had to learn a lot over the years and it seems the more you learn you realize how little you really know...

:lgbounces Beth is a great web designer! There are terrific servers out there that are not overly priced and have wonderful customer service.

We're doing our own right now due to cold weather slow down but frankly, if I was too busy to do one I know who I'd be calling.

Celeste

The likely hood of someone "finding" your business on the net is almost nil. I have had my site up and running for over 4 years and the number of customers who "find" me would not have justified the expense.

My main purpose in creating a web presence was so that I could advertise the url locally - on business cards, signs and my phone book listings. On the site, I wanted to tell my story and show some examples of my work. I believe that having a nice site improves your credibility to prospective customers. I consider my website a great success.

Oh yeah, I paid $69 for the software - CuteSite Builder.

I use my website as a reference resource for my customers. I use it in all of my advertising and on my vehicles. When I give a quote to people, I let them know that they can see my work on the web. I have gotten brocure request and job quote request through my website. For the 100.00 a year I pay for licensing and hosting, It has been well worth it.

I use front page for my website and coffee cup for my animated picture shows.

John and Mathew your right and that's exactly what I was saying earlier, websites are something you should promote on all your marketing stuff. Expecting people to find you in a web search then hire you is unlikely. Even if you do get top rankings in the search engines someone else will always come along and do better. If that doesn't happen the search engines will just change their algorithems or something and then you have to work with them all over again. I've found a few ways to get my rankings up there but my placements change every few days. I don't care, as I said before, that's not why I have it anyway.

You guys are right on target. In and of itself, without promotion, a website will do donkey. Nothing. But go to a home show, put up an eight foot banner with just your web address, put it on your trucks, your business cards, your brochures etc. Advertise it in the paper, on a cable TV commercial, postcards for direct mail..the list goes on and on. Whenever I see an advertisement for something that interests me I immediately look for a URL. Having a company website is almost as commonly expected as having a phone number these days. With that being said, I better get my butt in gear and get mine up and running.

If you need help let me know, I'd also chat with Beth if I were you, I'm sure she's done more sites than I have. I just like doing it, but she probably keeps up to date on more of the changes than I do.

Websites don't have to be expensive or use a lot of flash and fancy stuff to use them the way were all talking about. So don't let one of those online expensive designers talk you into spending a thousand dollars on it. If you work at it, anyone can create the same site, I know I could and for half the price.

Like many have said, and its the same for us, I'd just like to have a site to put on the truck, cards, flyers etc.... I wouldnt expect business popping up from folks "googling" for a housewash....just be nice to have a place for homeowners to go while looking at my direct mailer or from seeing the truck working in the neighborhood...without ever talking to them, they already have seen the work you do from a nicely laid out site.....something we'll be considering, thanx all

You would be surprised what a web site can do. Personally, I enjoy building them. Also since I spent 14 years in the software industry I guess there is a part of me that will always be into this type of stuff. To me it is fun. If you have never done it, it can be frustrating...well, if you are hand coding anyway. Personally, I think if you are going to build one you need to know the basic tags so you can fix something if you break it accidently. There are only a few basics to learn and there are online tutors to help you.

Beth

This guy came up on google. Some decent looking sites if you click on testimonials there are direct links to his designs. There is also a package for about $550 bucks that would seem to be good for our business.

http://www.a1co.com/webdesign/

I am not into flash or pizzazz as it just loads down the browser. What do you guys/gals think?

I think if you have something slow on your site, warn the people.

Overall, images can be optimized to load relatively fast. Text should be fast - it's text, not pixles. There is something to be said for pizzaz. People do like bells and whistles, you just want to choose them wisely and not have too many of them.

Beth

Some sites are just a pain in the a$$ to view..(none in this industry though)

I mean if Im looking for something I don't really need cartoon fireworks exploding all over the page, or animated zoo animals on parade as the page loads. Every site that I go to, if there is the option to "skip flash", 100% of the time I'M SKIPPING IT........ just an opinion (after a crappy day)

I agree a 100%. Look at Goggle or Ebay, sometimes simple is better. The most important aspects to a good website is the layout and ease of navigation. I can't name how many times I've skipped a site because of its intro crap and all of the unneccesary filler. Save that for childrens websites because most adults don't care, they are looking for functional and effecient.