Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Mixing Powdered Chemicals

Hello,

I was wondering what different ways everyone uses to mix chemicals. I am going to mix some powdered chemicals and was looking for something inexpensive like an attachment for the end of a drill if that will work. I am going to mix a few 55gallon barrels and would like to find a way that is efficient and inexpensive. Thanks for any help.

Chris,

I put a swivel on the end of a lance with a "T" and 2 nozzle tips positioned to spin (think of the letter Z) . I add the powder while under pressure. The lance stays put because of the way the nozzles point, although i periodically grab the lance and move it around the bottom of the drum. Also I used hot water when mixing.

Andy

The only other thing I would like to add would be PPE...

Andy has pointed out a way that many mix in a 55 gallon drum using a powerwasher.

Generally, you will start with about 5 gallons or more in the drum and then use their power washer lance to agitate the mix as they add hot water to it until full.

Alan has another good way in that he is making sure that the product has not precipitated out of solution before adding it to his main batch.

One thing to remember is that there is a saturation point. This means that the water cannot hold anything more in solution and the rest will precipitate out and form a sediment at the bottom of the container. Cold water has a lower saturation point than hot water.

Andy, you have a few of us curious...

Rod~

Also, to help agitation, don't mix at a 90 degree angle...mixers work better when the shaft is inclined to about 60 degrees. If you have access to a welder you can easily make an extension shaft out of rebar...you might want to paint first if using a caustic.

I would suggest that for those that are not familiar with the procedure/ratios of mixing that you start off with 5 gallons. If you have enough powder for 55 gallons then still do 5 gallons at a time until you reach a comfort level to tack a 55 gallon mixf.

Nothing worse than taking powder that you spend good money on and messing up the ratio for a 55 gallon mix. If you mess up at 5 gallon's then all is not lost ~ you still have 50 gallons to play with :). Just some advice.

We do 5 gallon's at a time. I do not store 55 gallon drums on our site.

Seymore,

Depends on the chem itself. Most have a stable shelflife and others dont...

Percarbs are the most common off the top of my head that have a short life once hydrated.

We have been told by some of our HD-80 customers that it does fine when they mix up a 55gal drum.

Rod~