Sign in to follow this  
GymRat

Tennis Ball ?

I have one of those wippy noodle extention wands from northern, and have heard mention of someone using a tennis ball in the gun to help free your trigger hand up. Was I hearing this right, or just hearing things ( you know like the wife saying I wasn't listening to her). Wanted to know of any tricks to take the strain of the old body so I can still lift a beer at the end of the day.

Thanks

Certainly it is possible to use a tennis ball as you mentioned. I would not recommend that. Serious injury or property damage can occur very fast using high pressure water. If a person became unable, for whatever reason, to release the gun.....that is bad.

There is a product available called "The Third Hand", which is a small rubber shim with a wristband attached to it. The premise is, that if you drop the gun, it will release.

Belt harnesses are available, and admittedly they are not real comfortable to wear, but they do help redistribute the forces across your body, so the strain is not directly on your back, or arms.

The best bet when working with extension poles is to use the lowest psi that will get the job done. Switching to a flow actuated unloader helps a lot too, it doesn't kick like typical pressure actuated unloaders. And finally, a good quality gun usually has a lower squeeze force required to actuate the gun, making it easier to operate.

I have the third hand and I like it alot. Alot of times when doing flatwork I use my dual bypass wand Q/C to an open gun then Q/C to a ball valve. It is much nicer on the operator. When you set it down you can either shut the ball valve off or open your wand all the way and just set it down.

Richard

I have used the tennis ball trick to rest the hand on a few occasions...It works. If you drop the gun the ball pops out and cuts the gun off. However I defer to Aplus...probably not the best method nor the safest...

bg

I agreewith Bob. I also carry a tennis ball with me. But no matter what you use whether it be the tennis ball, the harness etc. They all suck. There's no easy way to use the "Heavy Duty" extension wands without the use of plain old muscle.

I'm looking into the Coress wand as we speak.

My solution: Take a tennis ball and embed a T shaped wire into it with a loop on the protruding end and attach a string/strap line etc. to it with enough extra length so that the ball can fall free when bumped out and not get away from you. It just dangles below the gun until you reseat it to hold the trigger open.

This helps to reduce operator fatigue but offers quick control of the trigger when needed. The ball pops out easily. I think it is a safer way than the plastic trigger ones they have for sale now, but that is just my humble opinion and personal preference.

Rod~

Hey, Here is where my (newbiness, ), if that is a word, comes in.

I have and implemented the Tennis ball method.

1.It really frees up your hand grip on the wand, decreasing hand cramps,

2. I have had my helper Pull on the hose when I was not looking and the wand fell out of my hand and the tennis ball pop out and cut of the water follow.

3. Cost Effective also.

4. I have them on four guns and my Surface cleaner.

DeGraffreed

I will recommend the tennis balls on a small string.

Ive used a tennis ball since i started. Drilled a hole through and tied a lanyard to the ball. then looped it with a slip knot that I wear around my wrist. My hands Kill me when I dont have it with me! I just got a third hand and used it less than 30 minutes before chucking it back in the trailer. just wont stay in properly, especially in the surface cleaner.

I have used the rubber third hand with no real problems while operating a regular gun.......The tennis ball sounds like a neat idea, as long as it has the lanyard attatched.....I just dont think I could steal a tennis ball away from the dog...

I picked up tennis ball at pet store that already had a bungee cord in it that fit around my wrist. I know a guy at a machine shop and I have been thinking about getting him to make me something to put gun on an angle or build a gun for me because after eight hours of using an xtension wand I don't care what kind of wand you have your hand is going to be a bit sore. I currently use a coress. What I have found most guns are straight with wand. I am curious if a gun coming off of wand at a 90 or 45 degree angle would be any more comfortable without losing any control.

I picked up tennis ball at pet store that already had a bungee cord in it that fit around my wrist. I know a guy at a machine shop and I have been thinking about getting him to make me something to put gun on an angle or build a gun for me because after eight hours of using an xtension wand I don't care what kind of wand you have your hand is going to be a bit sore. I currently use a coress. What I have found most guns are straight with wand. I am curious if a gun coming off of wand at a 90 or 45 degree angle would be any more comfortable without losing any control.

All of my wands have a bent tip. I don't own one that does not (this includes my 3/4/8 foot wands and my 27 foot extension pole). Why would you want to put the gun on an angle to the wand if the same exist except at the other end?

Also, all of my wands are insulated. Not only does it insulate (obviously) but it helps with grip.

Just one more! I purchased twist connects (no, not quick connects). In otherwords I can switch all of my wands to the same gun. This method also helps when you want that bent tip, at the end of the wand, to shoot upwards as opposed to straight out or down. (simply loosen the twist connect....turn the wand to desired direction and retighten).

In some very akward positions or places it helps to have the wand tip shoot off in a direction in order to easy the wear and tear of your muscles.

Ive used a tennis ball since i started. Drilled a hole through and tied a lanyard to the ball. then looped it with a slip knot that I wear around my wrist. My hands Kill me when I dont have it with me! I just got a third hand and used it less than 30 minutes before chucking it back in the trailer. just wont stay in properly, especially in the surface cleaner.

I've never used a tennis ball with a gun.....I've just simply gotten used to the way the cookie crumbles.

On my surface cleaners however I use a clamp (bought at Home depot) to squeeze the trigger and I've also attached a ball valve to the end of every hose on the trailer. The ball valves are the best way to turn things off, and I never use the trigger to stop water flow.

(inadvertantly I've found that because the triggers on the hover covers are always being pulled - by the clamps - they drain on their own and the spray tips never get clogged with rust from hot water)