Sign in to follow this  
KC Deck

before/after cleaning pics

Question

18 answers to this question

First I power washed with a mild bleach/water mixture, to kill the mold and mildew. Then I applied Gemini Cedar and Redwood cleaner/brightner, let it dwell for about 10 minutes, then scrubbed gently with a soft bristled brush. Then power washed again, and waa-laa. I was really satisfied with the outcome. It is still kinda cool here in KC so I havent seen it completely dry yet. I'll post those pics before I apply my stain. Im using Penofin Western Red Cedar and will apply it on Monday, will show pics of that also.

Hey Kc,

It looks pretty good but I would suggest removing the wand marks before you stain it they will show up a lot more after it's stained. I'd also suggest using ready seal, but that's just my opinion. Give me a call if you have any questions.

KC Deck,

Thanks for posting your pics here. Its a very good result.

As you have asked what we think, I take it you are open to hearing some feedback in whatever way can be most constructive.

From what I can see, the result is very good, but as Henry had posted, there are wand stroke marks and what I call fade stroke marks that will detract from the overall appearance when you apply a toner or semi transparent sealer over it.

i.e. it will stand out.

Your options at this point are to sand it, use a defurring pad, or re wash it with a mild percarb solution and rebrighten afterwards.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Rod~

Oh yes, I am very open for feedback be it positive or negative. Constructive criticism has never hurt me in the past. I just want to make sure Im doing it right, and be happy with my project when it gets completed. Looks like I have alot of sanding to do.

do they make defurring pads for hook and loop random orbit sanders? just wondering because i have never used one. I have a boat dock that i will be trying my wood techniques on soon and its old wood so i am sure i will be needing one. Also how good will sand paper work just in case and if so what grit is recomended?

do they make defurring pads for hook and loop random orbit sanders? just wondering because i have never used one. I have a boat dock that i will be trying my wood techniques on soon and its old wood so i am sure i will be needing one. Also how good will sand paper work just in case and if so what grit is recomended?

Not yet...

Rod~

Alright

long story short. Didnt like the way the deck looked after I sanded it. Cleaned the deck again, this time with Wolmans. Pw'ed, let it dry and this is how it looked, I think it looks MUCH better than the first time. If at first you dont succeed, try try again.

post-973-137772141697_thumb.jpg

Alright

long story short. Didnt like the way the deck looked after I sanded it. Cleaned the deck again, this time with Wolmans. Pw'ed, let it dry and this is how it looked, I think it looks MUCH better than the first time. If at first you dont succeed, try try again.

Now you're talkin'. That looks perfect. Do yourself a favor and don't make the same mistakes I did initially. Do a search on the deck cleaning and stripping chemicals. The consumer products like Wolman's will eat all your profits. Make sure you stay under 800 psi on cedar, too. I commend you for gettting your process correct before you venture out to start collecting money from customers.

Ok KC,

you are ready to mask and apply the stain.

Good job!

Remember the ratios you mixed for certain situations and apply them to others that call for the same amount of work. I think that if you went a little stronger on the first attempt, or made a second application you would have gotten pretty much the same results as in the last pic you posted. (exception being the need to defur or sand the deck.) Cedar is a very pickey wood once it has been washed and often requires defurring especially over the knots to get rid of the silver look.

Rod~

Big improvement from the first cleaning to the second cleaning. I've used wolmans myself before and got a good result. I guess the secret is low pressure and proper chemicals will do it right everytime.