Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Ipe, cedar and PT...

Question

Here's a deck we did the other day. The floor, handrail caps and post caps are ipe. THe rail posts, spindals, and lattice is cedar. The PT lumber is on the outside...

This was done in two tones.

Beth :groovy: :groovy2: :groovy3:

post-1-137772142182_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772142185_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772142189_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

Whats up with the dead patch of grass next to the deck? Did you all have a chem spill in the yard :whoops:

Just kidding, Looks great as usual.

Yes, rails and verticals first, then the horizontals.

We use small brushes for the detail work and a sprayer and pads for the rest. (sprayer is necessary between the dual kickrails at the bottom of the spindles, then the small brush to even it out)

Rod~

I just had my first Ipe estimate and I'm pretty sure I've got the job, it needs a strip from a 1 yr old semi and a new finish. Is there any thing different that should be done with Ipe as far as cleaning?

The problem with ipe- is first you can't put any product on it for about 6 months- if you do you'll have trouble for ever- If a product was put on right after it was built and has to be stripped, I would strip it and let it sit a couple of months and go back wash it and seal it. Letting it sit a couple months lets the wood open up and evens out absorbtion of product.

Jim,

This deck was built in November 04' and sat over the winter.

We gave it a percarb wash and citralic to brighten and remove any planner glaze from the cedar.

Used a defurring pad on the Ipe and some spots on the cedar (new growth)

We are in the schedule with these and other Ipe deck owners to maintain them once a year.

Best maintanence practice is to wash with a percarb on all surfaces, then recoat the horizontals. Verticals every other year unless touch ups are needed.

Have not had any of the problems you spoke of Jim, the wash prep is the important step and helps to open up the wood as much as it will ever open up. After that, we maintain that the sealers integrity be kept intact as much as possible. We even offer to do mid year touch ups for those that may need it. That wood is so dense.

Rod~