Sign in to follow this  
Craig

One Rig, 2-Man Crew... What's your avg. gross?

Operating a one-rig, two-man crew... what is your average gross per month?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Operating a one-rig, two-man crew... what is your average gross per month?

• $1,000-$5,000
    • $5,000-$10,000
    • $10,000-$15,000
    • $15,000+

Question

101 answers to this question

Jamie, I hate to break it to you but we are small cakes in this industry. There are pressure washing companies that are making $millions$. Most of those type of guys don't even know of BBS like this at all. I have met pressure washing business owners of million dollar companies that has never heard of our industry trade associations related to this industry (which blows me away). Their focus is to manage and run their business with out getting caught up in the industry politics.

There are an estimate of 40,000 pressure washing companies in the U.S. alone and that number is probally low since I heard that stat about two years ago.

Feel free to come and visit any time after April (thats when we start back up) I will help any way I can to help you see the vision I do. I'll pay for you hotel stay too!

Good Luck!

This is one reason why limit my INTERNET presents and do little posting anymore. I guess I'm a bit to open and honest about to much personnel information about my businesses.

I should not be spending my time defending myself of a remark that someone does not believe what I post.

Or call me out on the amount of decks we do in a season. This starts all the drama on the bbs's and I'm here for good solid information from true professionals. I don't need the drama I have three little girls in my life and that is enough drama. LOL

I have learned to step back a bit, because when some of us here on the BBS help out it sometimes comes back and bites you back in the future.

I will pop in and check postings for industry information and that is going to be it for this guy any more. Focus my time on Family and Business.

This is the only BBS I visit at all I don't have the Time to visit all other BBSes, one is enough !

The pressure washing business has been great in the last yrs as we grow and learn each and every year. I want to help this industry but to many things that destroy your efforts and time donated of what can help the industry earns to much negativity of positive and proven facts.

I've been at it for about ten years, and usually finish right around 100K per year. As a fleet washer for the first seven years I used myself plus one helper, sometimes two and was able to keep labor cost at aobut 20 % including wages, taxes, and worker's comp. This was usually running one machine, sometimes two when I had two workers.

Over the last two years, I have switched from fleets to residential and commercial and have been able to do about 100K doing 90 percent of the work without help. It is pysically demanding, especially in the south Louisisna heat, but I much prefer keeping more of the income for myself without the headaches employees cause. I have rarely been able to hire a reliable, efficient employee.

The challenge for me is that 100k is about the max I can do alone in one year, and I do want to grow my business by having efficient, reliable employees. At this stage of my businesses I essentially have given up on trying to hire, and I am more inclined to keep working the way I am and waiting for the "right" hiring opportunity to present itself. I have wasted a lot of money, time, and effort over the ten years trying to hire good help.

TerraClean has 6 trucks and we did 1.4 mil last year. That is a $19,444.44 average per truck.

In the old Mallard days we has 18 service trucks and did over 5 mil one year. That was a $23,148.14 / truck average.

We had a $450.00 ave per job and that was about 11,000 roofs in one year.

Glad Im not that big now. Make better money too now. Fish more:)

AC

Seems like hiring good employees is a difficult task. We struggle with that as well. However there is room to grow your business and personal income without hiring employees or increasing your exposure.

1. Come to work for us!

2. Sell us your commercial projects that are too big for your business or require insurance or workers comp you dont have.

3. Become a consultant for the industry.

Anyones head dizzy yet????

AC

Last year I spent over $10K in advertising. It was basically money in the toilet. I don't know about you guys, but people where I live do not take pressure washing seriously. It's a joke business apparently. I have customers(commercial and residential) that owe me money from early Aug. They feel that they can pay whenever they feel like it. I have a parking garage that owes me $6400 from 2 months ago. I don't feel, I KNOW, that if I spent $50,000 next year on advertising and went out every day and sold work I would't even come close to breaking $100,000 in SALES!! and I am a good salesman, I have a background in sales! people don't buy. IE...I sent post cards with a before and after siding photo to a 200 house neighborhood where every single house on the block had dirty green siding on 1 side of the house.......not 1 single phone call. Tony, I'm not calling you a liar, but I find that very hard to believe.

Id hire a collections company. Did you get a contract? Also become a member of Duns and Bradstreet its like a credit score for companies. Then you can file bad marks against non paying commercial customers credit.

AC

Looking back at this topic and seeing the results you can only assume there are alot of part timers in the votes. To have 69 votes in the $1K to $5K a month range is financial suicide. You would be better off with a 9 to 5 job with benefits. Onaverage as a full time business our trucks need to be billing a $1000 a day in work when they are out. As a single operator with a helper even $15K a month should be pretty easy if your bidding the jobs right.

Last year (our first) we grossed just over $80k for the year (or about $6700/month). That was with me and my wife (no payroll). That was w/ $0 for advertising (save for our website, yard signs, and truck decals).

This year, so far we are on track to double that (at least) and we have 2 employees. 1 full time, 1 part time...

If anyone says you cant make enough money to live on, that person is not trying or their personal expenses are too high.

for me with two guys on my rig i avg about 10,000 to 15,000 a month last year

I believe these polls would be more accurate if the names of the people who voted for each option were listed beside it. I think the PWNA board did that for one of their polls(or maybe it was here). People are more likely to tell the truth when someone can hold them responsible. If you don't want your name on there then don't vote. I am not saying anything that has posted is untrue either.

My $.02

You can do over 100,000.00 in 1 month in Residential if you do it right. We are having a great year and may even make my goal this year.

post-2545-13777234134_thumb.jpg

Chris and I can pull down $3k per day in filter/coils cleaning.

On the other hand if Chris or I go out with another worker it slows us down to about $2300/day.

Because we use the lift, and we have not yet made the decision to hire a full time manager one of us always has to be onsite to supervise. I theorize that we will only be hitting about $1800 per day once we stay in the office and put crews to work by themselves.

Does that sound like an accurate prediction based on what you guys have done in the past?

Tony How many crews do you think it will take to make it worth while? Thats something that Ive been curious about. Whats the magic number 2,3,4?

Through 6 months this year we are averaging 16k a month. Weve done good and made money but it could be better. We live an hour from our service area. Thats 2 hours a day 10 hours a week driving to and from work. Thats a fact that Im facing and its something that Im going to do something about. Being a young company we also spend an outrageous amount advertising. Having said that..... If I had an extra 2 hours to work in the day and good customer base in place I think me and a helper could average 25k a month. I feel like more than that would be tough.

Chris, that's a question only you can answer. Do you want to keep doing the physical end of the work? What type of lifestyle do you want?

If you are averaging 16k per month it might be time to go ahead and look into getting one good guy who lives in the service area and setting him up with a truck. There are a lot of good people out of work right now.

This "crew" of three has $12400 in regular filter changes/cleaning and a little bit of quarterly coil cleaning to do this week. (we will use two of the temps two days this week)

Servicing filters produces a big appetite. After weekly lunch expenses we will net about 500 bucks. :)

100814_123559.jpg

Tony How many crews do you think it will take to make it worth while? Thats something that Ive been curious about. Whats the magic number 2,3,4?

Through 6 months this year we are averaging 16k a month. Weve done good and made money but it could be better. We live an hour from our service area. Thats 2 hours a day 10 hours a week driving to and from work. Thats a fact that Im facing and its something that Im going to do something about. Being a young company we also spend an outrageous amount advertising. Having said that..... If I had an extra 2 hours to work in the day and good customer base in place I think me and a helper could average 25k a month. I feel like more than that would be tough.

35k is attainable with 2 single man operated rigs per month. Scheduling is your best friend and making sure you have a schedule panned out right will aid in increasing your production rates. Always something to think about is distance between stops and ensuring your not going back to the same parts daily when you can get them all done in one trip. I say this because fuel has gotten very costly for us this year up to about 5k per month just to run the rigs and get them from site to site.

This "crew" of three has $12400 in regular filter changes/cleaning and a little bit of quarterly coil cleaning to do this week. (we will use two of the temps two days this week)

Servicing filters produces a big appetite. After weekly lunch expenses we will net about 500 bucks. :)

100814_123559.jpg

Tony is that meal....... part of p90x work out ?....yukyuk

Edited by dollarspa

This is a great thread.

We are about to solve our driving problem by packing up and leaving our hometown and moving to our service area. Ive lived in this small town since I was 3 years old im not itching to get out personaly but business wise it excites me to think of what we can accomplish with an extra 40 hours a month. Not to mention the saved fuel/wear and tear costs of driving that much.

I could see one rig doing 35k IF I can get them busy enough... Or if we can eventually really get in doing resi commercial work.

Tony, its been to hot lately for big lunches but I make sure I make up for it when I get home.

There is another side to the story too. Yesterday Chris and I went alone to finish up the last of the stuff we put off for the Tampa RT. We worked our butts off filtering a variety of old units that required bending/squatting/pulling/pushing/lifting AND quite a bit of thinking because the filters were not matched right to the unit numbers (my fault- took shortcut)

It was 4 hrs - 105 degrees - high humidity paper filters so no spraydown relief from the pressure washer and we net less than $500.

That's what happens when you misbid and take shortcuts.

It sure does feel good to be caught up though!

Low (initial) capital investment does two things. One, it allows non-business people to enter the market and drive down pricing. On the other hand it lowers amortized equipment costs. Also keep in mind a two-man crew can do 2-3 jobs per day bringing overhead percentages down.

Here is an example of a typical deck job 500 s/f of floor measurement. Cost to customer $1,100:

Billable man hours: 14 (Seven hours total project time)

Labor cost per hr with workman's comp, disability insurance, health insurance and comp time: $23 (x 14= $322)

Fuel: $5

Chemical: $35

Sealer: $150

Expenses such as legal, accounting, liability insurance, marketing etc: $75 per job

Equipment depreciation: $15 per job

Total costs: $602.00

Now take into consideration there are guys on this board will charge $600 total for that job. They don't have the labor tab I do. They also will still be a one-man show ten years from now owning a job versus owning a business. No thank you.

Worse yet are lowballers who might charge $400 for that job. Their expenses are $5 worth of bleach and $110 in sealer.. no insurance, splash and dash. If they do seven jobs per month they make a couple grand. Not bad for working 14 half days with no education and total investment of maybe $700 for a Home Cheapo machine, some brushes and a pump up sprayer. Meanwhile customer gets a half assed job and by the time word gets out that this guy is an idiot he has already moved on to his next hair brained adventure. The following year I get that customer and have to explain to him why my cost is nearly TRIPLE what the last guy charged. Nevermind that his work looked like crap and he is nowhere to be found.

Now for any homeowner reading this and thinking.. $500 "profit" for a day isn't bad. With rain days and winter weather one may do 115 of these per year. Woohoo, a pre-tax profit of $57,500. Call the travel agent! If I couldn't blend my margins with higher priced work I would be out of this business in a minute.

VERY WELL PUT MY BROTHA! Lots of fly by nighters this year. I guess people have lost jobs and think its easy to do what we do. Awsome year to date !!! Call me in the winter Ken.