Sign in to follow this  
Craig

One Rig, 2-Man Crew... What's your avg. gross?

Operating a one-rig, two-man crew... what is your average gross per month?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Operating a one-rig, two-man crew... what is your average gross per month?

• $1,000-$5,000
    • $5,000-$10,000
    • $10,000-$15,000
    • $15,000+

Question

101 answers to this question

I believe these polls would be more accurate if the names of the people who voted for each option were listed beside it. I think the PWNA board did that for one of their polls(or maybe it was here). People are more likely to tell the truth when someone can hold them responsible. If you don't want your name on there then don't vote. I am not saying anything that has posted is untrue either.

My $.02

I don't do the same type of washing as you probably do, but i would guess that your question leaves room for many variables. But, if you had two guys that were costing you 3K each a month out of the gross, 2K for fuel and biz expenses, then taxes, etc., I'd say you'd need to be around 15K for you to make 2-3K a month off of your employees. These are rough numbers, but reasonably close I'd say. Also, if you have money borrowed on the truck and rig, that could easily be another 1K a month expense.

Actually I posted the poll. I want to compare different geographical locations and generally how most people who post on the board are doing in their venture.

Henry, is that with one unit or more? I am asking not for gross income as a business but for one rig with two people running it. At what time in your business did you start expanding and buy another rig?

That figure is based on one guy working on an 8gpm rig.. It's set up for two guys but I usually only send out one guy with it..

One guy can usually do 3 decent sized decks a day or 5 houses if there isn't a lot of travel time involved. That rig usually does around 1,000 a day gross and I also have at least two other guys out doing gutter cleaning, power washing or other stuff...

Some weeks and days are slower than others and some are much better but that 15,000 gross figure a month really isn't that much when you consider overhead costs like fuel, labor, taxes and advertising but it all depends on your overhead and how much you want to work!

That's not an unreasonable figure actually - Roger has that booked during the first two weeks of May alone. We're wrapping up a $5K job this week, booked another $6500 one today.....If we could do it 12 months a year we'd be set but at this point, I'm very proud of what he's accomplishing in our time in business. Henry is right on the money about what you have to factor in. Our overhead is pretty low all things considered and Roger certainly works hard.

Celeste

Yep, working hard is the only thing that comes easy in this business. 16 hour days are very common! Another reason I posted this is to check out how I am doing compared to some of the rest of you. With one rig after 6 months Full-Time power washing, we're generating $10,000 to 15,000/month. If we land a couple of really good jobs we can do as much as $24,000/month. I guess I'm looking at what's a max on rigs across the nation and when it is time to expand. There comes a point when you're losing money if your doing around $15,000/month. Time to really get my butt in gear and roll. There's a lot to do these days, not to mention starting a coatings business!

Craig and Henry

Great job with the business that is wonderful. If you dont mind me asking what is your monthly advertising costs. I am working hard to get where you guys are.

Hey Wesley, My advertising is usually around 1,400 a month.

The monthly gross thing might be broken down a bit better if you run it per day. Most guys can make about 500-750 per day per vehicle after all expenses if you have experience and your a quick mover. Some days are better than others of course, I just got finished doing a 2,500 house ect. wash! Total on job expenses $165 including labor. I don't run accross jobs like that every day but I did just bid on some buildings that we should be able to knock out in three days with a lift.. That one's going to pay really nicely. Man, I love powerwashing! I don't miss being out in the field though, I'm beat.

If there's anyone in maryland that does awning cleaning, please let me know I have a complex that wants them done and i'm not touching it.

I don't do the same type of washing as you probably do, but i would guess that your question leaves room for many variables. But, if you had two guys that were costing you 3K each a month out of the gross, 2K for fuel and biz expenses, then taxes, etc., I'd say you'd need to be around 15K for you to make 2-3K a month off of your employees. These are rough numbers, but reasonably close I'd say. Also, if you have money borrowed on the truck and rig, that could easily be another 1K a month expense.

What kind of pressure cleaning do you do?

Washaway,

I mainly work on log home refinishing and repairs, but do other stuff to fill in gaps sometimes or if it comes along (mostly just decks)

jon

our avg. cost per month is about $2000 but we bring in about $30,000 to 40,000 a month pressure wash has been good to us so far!

<sarcasm off>

Mike,

May I come and stand next to you next week? Perhaps some ofthat will rub off! :) I'm doing abour 1800-2k/week with a 1 man crew.

</sarcasm off>

I use one rig (well it's my pickup loaded up) and one guy (me) and I average between 1k and 5k each month. I did however have a good month last month where I scored an apartment complex with 30 buildings that took me 3 weeks (weather issues and other scheduled work slowed me a bit) and that was a $12,000 job. I don't spend any money on advertising though, I just get work by word of mouth or pursuing the job and it's just me so 1k-2k is all I need to get by but those 12k jobs make a month look real good.

That's great Matthew - I remember you just starting out last year....if you're making what you need to make and not killing yourself doing it, you're right there. Start making too much and next person you'll have calling you will be the IRS!!!!!

Celeste

<sarcasm off>

Mike,

May I come and stand next to you next week? Perhaps some ofthat will rub off! :) I'm doing abour 1800-2k/week with a 1 man crew.

</sarcasm off>

That's doing pretty well for a one man crew...It's hard to compare a guy in a northern area where the work is seasonal to a guy in GA or FL where the work is year-round and where there is a lot more lower priced competition.

I just hired a guy part time (3 days/week) at the beginning of April, and it has been a great decision thus far. Prior to that, I was grossing between $3k and $5k/month. The past two months were both $8k months (that's AFTER I pay him), and June is looking just as good. It has also freed me up to spend more time on marketing, doing estimates, etc.

He's a great guy, conscientious, willing to work hard, and willing to work long days if necessary.

I'm not in this business to get rich, or to build it up so fast that I can sell out or retire in 10 years...I don't WANT to work 12 hours days 5 or 6 days a week...I want to make enough money to pay my bills, to put enough away for the future, and still have time to enjoy my family and my life.

I just hired a guy part time (3 days/week) at the beginning of April, and it has been a great decision thus far. Prior to that, I was grossing between $3k and $5k/month. The past two months were both $8k months (that's AFTER I pay him), and June is looking just as good. It has also freed me up to spend more time on marketing, doing estimates, etc.

He's a great guy, conscientious, willing to work hard, and willing to work long days if necessary.

Ditto for me. But I'm making about 2k/week before I pay him. Expenses run about 35% before taxes. Anyway, he's been getting faster/better and I could see $5-600/day on the radar. That is, until he gave notice today... :(

I'll definitely hire again. I'm making almost exactly what I was alone and not working as hard. Hard physically that is, I'm doing 10hr days with quotes and biz mgmt.

our avg. cost per month is about $2000 but we bring in about $30,000 to 40,000 a month pressure wash has been good to us so far!

Your overhead is $2k/month, to generate $30-40k???

What kind of washing do you do???

Sorry, just GOTTA call B.S. on this one....In Feb you were posting "I'm a newbie please help", and now you're making between $360,000 and $480,000.00/year, with $24k in expenses????

Riiigggghhhhht...

IF that's the case, hire someone to fix your website...it's pretty, but non-functional...

I try to do between 400-600 a day, but often fall short of that. Because I primarly do residential work, the best jobs, for me, are the one location all day jobs. Go to a decent size house first thing in the morning, clean the gutters, roof, exterior, drive, cool deck etc. collect you check and go home.

Also, somtimes its neccasary for me to schedule a no "on the job" work day just to catch up on book work and run around and do the things I can't do when I'm out getting physical.