Sign in to follow this  
prince083

Advice on power washing wood home

Question

I would like to power wash my wood home, which is painted. I have a 2500 psi power wacher and since i didnt clean it for a couple of years i have this black (could be mold, could just be dirt or whatever) on my window siding especially and the overhang of my house. When i use straight water pressure shooting right at it, it may get some of it but still looks dirty, like its stained. Could you all please tell me what i can use to get that cleaned?

Do i use bleach?

Do i use a chemical or cleaning solution? if so which one.

Or what else could i use? I do thank you for your help and advice.

God Bless

22 answers to this question

Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself if you don't have any experiance with wood restoration/stripping/cleaning. You could do a lot of damage to your home if you get water under the siding and it could end up looking worse and costing more time and money to fix. Save money and hire a pro.

To be honest, im not sure, just came accross this site through a web search. Dont mean to step on anyones toes, just wanted some simple advice from one human being to another. When did we all get so involved in money and business that we cant give out simple free advice to someone that want to try doing it. Im in the computer field and i get asked questions and advice every single day and not once have i turned anyone down, what kind of society are we turning into? Lets help each other and help you fellow man. God will appreciate that.

God bless

Certainly this site is here to help whoever has questions....so ask away. I understand what you are trying to do as it relates in getting information relating to what you want to have done to yur house.

I must side with Gavin and recommend that you hire someone that has experience in this field. Power washing wood is a carefully orchestrated process that requires in depth knowledge on this particular subject. The Q & A is one of many steps that us contractors took when when we first entered into the power washing industry. Actual work and experience (trial and error) is another step that all of us took to hone in on our strengths and weakeness.

I guess what I am trying to say is that by asking questions on the BBS is a good start but will not get you all the way in cleaning the house....

I think he did say the siding was painted.As long as the paint is in good condition there is no reason this should be treated any different than a regular housewash.Low pressure and chems(some kind of chlorine/bleach and soap) should do the trick.

I'm hard-headed when it comes to doing things myself, so I can kind of see where you are coming from. So, let's say you don't take the advice of others and still want to do it yourself (which, depending upon the size and scope of the project, may leave you regretting it in the end). Nonetheless, you have the equipment, you have the desire, and you have the problem of a dirty house.

First, realize that you can see a pressure washing machine as one of two things (of primary use, anyway):

1. You can use it as a way of delivering a high amount of force to remove dirt, paint, concrete, wasp nests, etc.

2. You can use it as a mass-delivery system for water and chemicals...as opposed to using a water hose or garden sprayer.

Since you are cleaning wood and not concrete, purpose #1 would not be the route to take. Instead, go with #2. Realize that you are not going to clean your house by blasting every inch with high pressure water. Use your washer to wet the entire structure in a short amount of time, downstream (via the port at your pump exit that goes into your high pressure stream) a chemical, in your case most likely bleach (draw straight from a 6% container, don't dilute), soap (dish soap usually works best), and some Greased Lightning. You can mix this stuff together in a bucket and spray your entire house down (but do one wall at a time). Let it sit, then rinse it off. Don't rinse it off with high pressure close up to the wall, back away. You are *RINSING* here, not blasting the surface off. If this does not successfully clean your siding, you will most likely have to resort to using a brush on an extension pole, reapply the chemicals, and rinse again. Just don't, at any point, try to "blast" the dirt off....it's never a good idea and simply will not work. People have used the "dirty plate" analogy....you can scrub a plate and put lots of force on it with water, but letting it soak in soapy water for awhile will be much more effective.

The reason for hiring a contractor is that they will have access to better chemicals than you would find in any retail store, they will have better tools to work with (a pressure washer unit is only a small fraction of the tools necessary to do a quality job in a short time), and they will have the experience to know not to risk damaging paint, wood, or shattering glass by applying too much pressure. And in the time and aggravation you spend on doing it yourself, you may find it worthwhile to hire someone who has the tools. But, give it a shot. You may enjoy it. You may even learn enough to want to do some neighbors houses, buy more equipment, get more experience, and start your own company (I'm guessing that's how some of the naysayers started out in the wee beginnings). Just understand that fixing a problem can be expensive, so if you do damage something and call a pro out to "fix" it, they won't be easy on ya. ;)

And if you do it yourself, start early in the morning, drink lots of water, and have a barbecue that evening with a cold beer because you'll need it!

Thank you, all thats what i was looking for and believe me i wanted to hire someone but if anyone has a wife like mine its like "You can get out there and do it" and most of us know you can not argue with a woman and win :-) (i mean that in a good way ladies).

I can attest that shooting high pressure water on it didnt clean it as i tested it in a small area (even practiced with distance and nozzels and learned real quick which one and what pressure takes the paint off) but shooting full pressure on it even close enough not to take the paint off didnt clean this stuff off, its almost like it looks stained and that i need to take a brush to it. But i was hoping there was maybe some kind of chemical or cleaning solution that would prevent me from having to brush this house. I will try the bleach solution on a small area to see if that will work. If anyone has any other ideas or tips/hints they are greatly appriciated and im very thankfull for people like you all that are willing to share some small things with the rest of us who are not the professionals in that field. Your kindness is appreciated.

So what i was looking for i think some of you answered above, a mixture of bleach and the stuff above, that should do the trick right?

Sounds like you are getting great advice, and I'm willing to help also. You can give me a call, my cell and home phone are listed below. Looks like you live within a half hour from me, so give me a call.

You can call us also if you want advice. I'll be glad to answer some questions...

I will also say this is a forum for contractors, and we make our livings doing this and support our families and our employees families doing this. With very rare exception, it has been my expereince that a homeowner will do more harm than good on their own property, because they lack the expertise and experience a professional has.

If you tackle your own job, chances are the next time you will want to hire someone, and it will cost more because a pro will have to undo your mistakes from this time.

In any case, good luck. Wood care can be fun.

Beth

As Scott stated, if its painted wood siding you should be able to treat it as a regular house wash, but we need more information.

Is the paint in good condition

what kind of wood exterior is

what are the soffits made of

do you have a chemical delivery system such as a downstream injector

what kind of windows do you have, double pane insulated, or single

I'm thinking that maybe you should have your wife read the replies you received from people who do this for a living. Maybe then she will realize this job may be more than you can handle. Not that you wouldn't try hard, but rather not having the right tools to do the job.

Ryan gave some good advice, hope it works out.

Thank you, all thats what i was looking for and believe me i wanted to hire someone but if anyone has a wife like mine its like "You can get out there and do it" and most of us know you can not argue with a woman and win :-) (i mean that in a good way ladies).

Prince,

I know that it sounds like everyone here just wants to have you call them instead of DIY, but they are telling you the truth. Pressure washing is a learned skill, and requires more than just a pressure washer. Many of learned at the expense of our first customers (often our own home).

That said: Store bleach comes at 5%, you need about 1% to be effective. Your home store washer will dilute it to between 0.25% - 0.5% which will be minimally effective. To do this yourself put aside the pressure washer and get a 5 gallon bucket. Add 1 gal bleach, 4 gallons water, 1 cup dawn. Apply to the house with a pump up sprayer. Wait 5 minutes and reapply/brush tough areas with a 2.5" bristle soft brush where neccessary. Once that is all done, use the pressure washer or a garden hose to rinse throughly.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Purchase and use a respirator designed for use with organic acid vapors. If you don't you could wind up in the hospital with burned lungs. Also, read this: http://www.odordestroyer.com/5_reasons.doc

Prince,

I too, feel the need to jump on the band wagon. The tech info you've received above is all correct and very helpful....however....trust me, someone who's been in the Pressure Cleaning business for years now, call a pro. Even I don't attempt to clean wood. I don't know enough about it, have no experience with it, and therefore I leave it for those who know what they're doing.

Not trying to take anyones job away or make anyone lose money, I just wanted to try something by myself thats all.

To those that have given me advice i do really appreciate your kindness. I may still get a professional to do it but may do it myself, i have to work within the means i have and it that means me doing it, so be it.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but how much can i expect to pay for a tri-level painted wood home to have it just cleaned. Is about 1800 square feet i think.

John i may still give you a call for you to come check. I can do the steps and walkway, did my back cement porch and i amazed myself, it looks like it was just put in hahaha. But may call you on monday if i decide to get someone to do it. Just want it washed, nothing else. Gonna repaint it in the next 2 years and when i do that then im gonig to have it doen right, stripped and all that, but for now, just washed.

So what days and times can i call you?

You can email me at coldthunder@comcast.net

To give you an update i bought some lomax this weekend and mixed 3 quarts water, 2 cups bleach and 3/4 cup lomax and low pressure sprayed it on some spots, let it sit for 5 minutes and tried to low pressure wash it off but wouldnt come off under low pressure. As a test i got the wand closer and used a higher pressure and that cleaned it off. Still i thought i should be able to wash it off with low pressure letting the mix to all the work. So the mix may not be the right amounts or the right type. I will keep trying different mixes. Did get some ideas from a friend will try that mix tonight.

Now that you're on a website that we can give you real chemical mixtures without the fear of having a post deleted....if you want a bang up job, call Steve Rowlett or go to www.rowlettpressure.com Steve's citracleen with some 15% bleach will clean your house NO PROBLEM. Lowe's or Home Depot cleaners are for homeowners to learn to aggravate themselves :) Pros use commercial grade products that allow us to use the low pressure you are looking to use. As far as the Jomax & bleach mixture, it will work - you either need to mix it stronger or let it dwell longer. Something else to keep in mind, the bleach you buy at the store starts at 6%...by the time it rides on the truck, sits in the warehouse, gets on the store shelf, sits another couple weeks or months, you might have 3% bleach. We use 15-18% fresh sodium hypochlorite - makes a huge difference.

Celeste