Sign in to follow this  
Joe Chadwick

Maintaining Behr Deck Plus?????????

Question

I seem to be getting a lot of calls this year from people that have put "Behr Deck Plus" on there decks and are looking for someone to maintain these decks. My question is this Can Behr Deck Plus be washed and recoated (what will it look like) or "DOES It need to be stripped? What will convince the customer that I do not speak with fork tongue when I inform them of what needs to be done? Thanks in advance for any help I may receive on these questions. Joe

12 answers to this question

1st, take a look at each of them...is there mildew growing up higher than 8-10 inches on the pickets?

Is the mildew widespread or patchey?

If there is a mildew problem present on their decks, recommend them away from Behr to another product that will not be so problematic. Also note, once Behr is on a deck, it will not really ever look good again. Certain ingredients in their formulation stays in the wood and does not come out with strippers on the market today. Color results are usually darker than on other decks with alternate products. This has been our experience.

Rod~

Joe,

Cant say too much because the wear is often uneven and would not blend well for recoating.

Stripppp with HD-80 8oz/gal, dwell 30-45 minutes until completly dark then rinse and neutralize!

Ta Da!

Rod~

Thanks Rod If there is not a mildew problem can the deck just be recoated with the same product and color? How will it blend with the old stain? Joe

Joe,

I don't think many on this board could provide first hand advice on recoating with Behr products.

Most of us use professional grade stains. Behr is a very poor choice in any case.

If the label says you can recoat, then you should be able to wash and recoat.

Whether it looks good or not....who knows?

The problem then becomes that now there are two coats of Behr which eventually will have to be removed. Multiple coats of Behr can be disastrous, difficult to remove. Remove it now and refinish the deck the right way, and apply a quality stain.

Thanks for the advice. Aplus, Ken and Rod I agree with you all too! Yeah Behr bites I did not put the Behr on the deck, it is of course a homeowner special. They did it in the past and don't ever want to do the work again. The other Behr decks I have seen in the woods I do bid strip and recoat. Of course for the price I quote most people will always ask if it can just be recoated. I did look on the can and it says nothing on the maintenance of the product soooo... I thought I could get some help here and I did. Joe