Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

What's your minimum to turn the key?

Question

14 answers to this question

For what it's worth, if I am sub contracting, my min. is 100.00 and for individuals 50.00. Not that i'm booming right now, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

I don't like to pull out the equipment for less than about $275, but I will occasionally go out for a $100 driveway or something that can be done in about an hour. I absolutely despise the calls I get where the customer says something along the lines of "I already did this and that and just need to have this other little thing cleaned. It isn't much." Implicitly they are telling you that they don't want to spend more than $20 or $30 on it (geography depending).

My minimum is $65, but thats only if I'm already on the road and in the area, and If I'm not, I'll try to schedule it for a time when I know I will be in their area. To get my stuff together and make a specific trip to a job site, $150.00.

If I'm slow and it's residential, $65 minimum. If it's commercial and I'm subbing for/with others, it's $600/day for me, truck, trailer and all equipment. Those are the days. No chasing down jobs, just showing up and going at it!

Within a ten mile radius it's $60. Will not get on a ladder for less than $105 and the minimum will increase based on distance if you leave that 10 mile radius.

If a neighbor catches me when I'm next door and wants his driveway or sidewalk cleaned...............well that's a different story.

Typically, $60 but I avoid those like the plague. I do have a $20 patio and a $20 front entrance booked, but they are within hose distance of a $150 job.

FWIW, I did 4 white rocking chairs today. The neighbor came over after we had rolled up and wanted them done and an estimate done on the house. I said $20 with the house job or $60 now. She wanted them done today so she could paint them this weekend. 30 minutes later I pocketed $60 cash. She balked on the house (a good deal at $240). I expect she never wanted it done anyway.

Typically, $60 but I avoid those like the plague. I do have a $20 patio and a $20 front entrance booked, but they are within hose distance of a $150 job.

FWIW, I did 4 white rocking chairs today. The neighbor came over after we had rolled up and wanted them done and an estimate done on the house. I said $20 with the house job or $60 now. She wanted them done today so she could paint them this weekend. 30 minutes later I pocketed $60 cash. She balked on the house (a good deal at $240). I expect she never wanted it done anyway.

You'll be suprised when in a month she ends up calling you.

It's happened to me on more than one occasion.

I absolutely despise the calls I get where the customer says something along the lines of "I already did this and that and just need to have this other little thing cleaned. It isn't much." Implicitly they are telling you that they don't want to spend more than $20 or $30 on it (geography depending).

Oh yeah, had one of those yesterday...Called for a roof cleaning, but when I got to talking to her, she really only wants the chimney done. She already did the house, but can't reach the chimney and it is green. I told her I have a minimum of $100.00. Said she'd call back later.

Oh yeah, had one of those yesterday...Called for a roof cleaning, but when I got to talking to her, she really only wants the chimney done. She already did the house, but can't reach the chimney and it is green. I told her I have a minimum of $100.00. Said she'd call back later.

Rather then not getting the work, what really bothers me is that most people don't posess enough principals to come out and say 'I'm sorry but I don't wish to spend that much'.

I have no respect for those that feel the need to lie in ordert to back out of a situation.

My minimum is $125.00. If a customer catches me while I'm doing another job and I can do theirs in succession, it's $85 min. This includes (if they ask) up to an hour of washing. If they have a small oil spot or something I know will only take 30 minutes or so, and they also have a problem with the $125 minimum I'll tell them to find a couple of other things to wash to get their full 1 hours worth.

$100 min if I am out. commercial brick cleaning $600-$1000 depending on how much travel. I once cleaned a car engine for $10. A guy at one of my fleet accounts wanted a Suzuki Car engine of some sort cleaned, pulled it up behind my trailer and I hit it for about 1 minute, no big deal for me, would have done it for free but he asked what I would charge him. like some of you others said it depends on if you are there already.

I vascillate between $125 and $150 for absolute minimum depending on what side of the bed I fall out of, what type of work it is and how far we're booked. For deck refinishing the minimum is $350. For Insurance work my minimum is $250 otherwise they will nickel & dime you to death.

I know we say "free estimates" but you would think people would use their head a bit and not ask you to drive 25 miles to give one where they only expect to pay $30. I try to screen them on the phone, but every now and then one sneaks by me.

In the past week I've had at least a dozen calls asking for estimates

where my minimum was much more than they expected to pay. Here are few examples:

- Clean 12' x 15' concrete pad

- Clean 15' x 15' wood deck - no railing

- Clean and stain a 4' x 6' potting table

- (3 calls) Wash 1 side of a house - (30' and 60' of vinyl siding)

- Wash 2 car garage floor

- Wash basement floor

- Wash 3' x 50' brick paver walkway

Sunday I washed my first house, your average 2000 sq ft 2 story home. Anyway when I got done the homeowner said his neighbor behind him wanted an estimate on one side of his house. So I went over to talk, he said they were moving and just wanted the north side done, it was slightly green. So I told him it would be $75, he said go for it. Before I even wrote up the proposal for him to sign he came back out, handed me a wad of cash and said we're going to the hardware store. I was packed up and gone before they got back, I left a reciept with a business magnet on the door. That was well worth the effort to me.

Sunday I washed my first house, your average 2000 sq ft 2 story home. Anyway when I got done the homeowner said his neighbor behind him wanted an estimate on one side of his house. So I went over to talk, he said they were moving and just wanted the north side done, it was slightly green. So I told him it would be $75, he said go for it. Before I even wrote up the proposal for him to sign he came back out, handed me a wad of cash and said we're going to the hardware store. I was packed up and gone before they got back, I left a reciept with a business magnet on the door. That was well worth the effort to me.

Absolutely...It's really not any different than an add-on service, since you're already there...I get those from time to time...Guy next door or across the street wants his driveway done, or something small...I'll do it if I'm not way behind that day...He gets a cheaper price, I get a few extra bucks for a few extra minutes. Everyone's happy. That's the real benchmark...are you and the customer happy? If so, you're doing great.