Sign in to follow this  
tropical wave

redwood double porch

Question

this redwood porch is 10 years old and has been neglected since it was built and never sealed...its attched to a two flat with rental tenants and it is used as the primary entrance/exit for the people and 4 dogs......it had the nastiest mildew and ground in dirt............cleaned it today, will seal as soon as we can..

post-721-137772143228_thumb.jpeg

16 answers to this question

What are you going to use to seal it? That wood is so beautiful just the way it is...too bad someone can't make a clear with a really awesome UV in it to take care of wood like that.

Thanks for the feedback everyone....... Its going to get Ready Seal, color yet to be determined, the owner has left it up to me for the most part, so I'm open to suggestions about the color to be applied.....I would like a little darker color than the light brown (as would she) so maybe the natural cedar or the medium red.....maybe we'll take a vote and the I'll go with the most popular...LOL

as far as cleaning went, I started using the TimberStrip at 1/2 strength and it was still too strong, I swear the rails strarted fuzzing as I applied the chems with the shurflo !!!! let it dwell a bit, hit it with 600 psi and FUZZZZZZZZ....backed the stripper ratio way back and worked nicely, trial and error....at the very very top I tried the Jim F and Pierce F (Ready Seal way with the bleach and soap) as I just couldnt make it all the way with the stripper I had made up.....it cleaned really well, just didnt turn the wood black like the stripper does......the wood (except for the very top) turned blacker than I have ever seen any wood turn, so the Oxalic (TimberBright) was applied pretty heavy (I had quite a bit made up) and was left on as I packed up the trailer with everything except the hose and wand, rinsed with a dump tip (soap tip) from top down.......some boards remained pretty black and I was concerned about that, but we ran back over later in the evening before we went out to eat and checked it out......when it dried, everything was brightened nicely.....it looks a bit "washed out", obviously not as red as when it was wet, but it looks pretty good, but how can it not compared to how it looked before......I think a fire would have improved its appearance...

believe it or not, this structure is up to code......in Chicago, most everywhere all wire service (electric, tx, cable) enters from the alleys and run everywhere...... one of my main problems with this structure was the main electrical service enters from the rear and is attached to the main 6x6 support at the top....25 feet up.....that was a bit spooky with a metal wand and water streams......but was very careful and didnt even get too close up there.....

got a bit of defelting done on this redwood porch (in between thunderstorms).............. the homeowner is thrilled thus far with the transformation......gonna get it sealed pretty soon as she is having other work done to the building, inside and out.....

still undetermined on the ready seal color.....

post-721-137772143904_thumb.jpeg

sealed this thing a while back, but it was too dark outside for the pics to look good.......went by today and took a few pictures in better light....

its Ready Seal Nat Cedar on redwood........ and doing the underside was a real PITA :cool:

post-721-137772144785_thumb.jpeg

post-721-137772144789_thumb.jpeg

post-721-137772144794_thumb.jpeg

jon, I used the regular RS formula based on the age of the redwood, the special redwood only wasnt required....

beth, this was the first redwood project Ive done, dont find it too much here that Ive found.......very nice looking wood, as long as its taken care of. I was looking at some of the "before" pics, and this thing was nasty :cool:

Thanks Carlos.....the owner was pleased, tossed me a little xtra cash..... then, after I have everything all wrapped up and we're BS'n, she goes "that was a lot of work, you should charge more".......she got some bids that were way up there, she told me that NOBODY wanted to do the underside......(neither did I)

she was having all kinds of work done, the porch, garage getting rebuilt, new paver driveway......it was contractor fest every day....

take care and be safe my man !!