Sign in to follow this  
MeiersEnterprises

Morality/Honesty Test at Lowes

Question

My buddy just interviewed at Lowes home improvement and they gave him a multiple choice honesty/morality test. They called it a "Survey" but we know the truth.

In addition to a lot of drug related and theft questions, here was one that was interesting:

Q: If a catalogue company accidentally sent you an item worth $1.00, would you send that item back to the company at your own expense?

A: YES or NO

Now im assuming they want you to answer YES but come on... There's NO WAY I would use my own money to correct some company's mistake when it's only a buck.

How would you guys answer??? I mean they are almost asking for you to lie which may be the whole point behind the question. Im not sure... He answered it honestly and said NO.

16 answers to this question

The "corrrect" answer is no. We used the same test at Tweeter. It's put in there to guage if you are being honest or are just answering as you think you should answer. The data to back it up is one thousand people were sent a $1 retail item from one of the big shipping houses. Out of that thousand, something like 85 people returned the item. The conclusion is that most people assume it promotional and never give it a second thought.

No here as well. Sounds like something that happened to me a number of months ago. I ordered a wand from Envirospec along with some other stuff. I recieved the order only to find that the wand had the wrong tip (wanted fan tip, got circular pattern). Anyways, I preceded to call them and tell them the situation, and after waiting on hold off and on for 15 minutes, while the phone lady consulted with someone, They said they would be glad to send the right tip, but wanted me to send the other one back. After thinking about it for a second, I asked them if it was completely neccessary for me to send back a plastic tip worth maybe .50. The lady put me on hold again and then John Allison got on the phone and asked me if I could send it back. I started to say somthing and I got a stearn YES or NO! at that point I was pretty ticked off. I told him no and he said in his "trying to be big shot" voice I'll remember that. I said whatever and that was that.

Needless to say I don't think I've ever felt so unappreciated as a paying customer in my life. a couple of months later I got over it enough to try them again and the jerk had suspended my account, but apperantly he got over it as well because they were happy to fill my order. Needless to say, someones getting a little to big for their breeches and I got news for um, I'm not the only one that thinks their customer service is one the worst out their.

I second E-specs lousy customer service. They prove the point that cutting cost still can cost you. I placed an order they filled it, billed me, then just addd another $50 to my order the next day, no explaination given.

I don't care for their "shipping and handling" crap. I bought a pound of their acid de etch. Charge for "S&H" was $9.50. I ship FedEx and 1 lb. to anywhere in the continental US is $4.00 or less. I'm less than 500 miles away. Can't afford a box 'cause the margin is too tight.

E-Spec has had issues for years. I stopped using them about 3 or 4 years ago. I ordered one type of hose, and they sent me the seprentine crap that they try to pawn off as being superior. I called them on it, and told them it was unacceptable, and they basically said tough noogies. I told them that I would be buying hose in a month to replace it because itwould be junk. In 2 weeks, all four hundred feet was toast. I now buy from somewhere else, for everything. Their loss. I may not be a big fish, but if someone is hungry they will work with me.

Scott Stone

Hey Scott I used to buy thier hose as well but in no time, like 2 months all and I mean all the swivels on them start to leak. I bought some hose from the local LANDA dealer called TUFF SKIN (I believe) and so far it is working great, its not cheap but if it lasts then its worth it. Where are you getting your hose from?

Richard

Hey Scott I used to buy thier hose as well but in no time, like 2 months all and I mean all the swivels on them start to leak. I bought some hose from the local LANDA dealer called TUFF SKIN (I believe) and so far it is working great, its not cheap but if it lasts then its worth it. Where are you getting your hose from?

Richard

I get all kinds of small stuff from espec, like plugs, QD's etc etc.....never bought hose from them, I get hose from www.pwmall.com ........the prices are good and for me their somewhat local, so shipping is saved...

espec hosed me on a few things that were very minor and no great issues and I'll keep buying my small stuff from them......I dont believe the prices can really be beat and the catalog is pretty big..... any other companies have good catalogs? I like to keep them around ..........

I get all kinds of small stuff from espec, like plugs, QD's etc etc.....never bought hose from them, I get hose from www.pwmall.com ........the prices are good and for me their somewhat local, so shipping is saved...

espec hosed me on a few things that were very minor and no great issues and I'll keep buying my small stuff from them......I dont believe the prices can really be beat and the catalog is pretty big..... any other companies have good catalogs? I like to keep them around ..........

Try Grainger.......they have a great catalog.

Espec's is famous for saying they have the best parts and prices yet ship wrong items that are not worthy of use.

I too have had my share of them but oh their attitude is so good for all their competitors, what I cannot figure out is why John A. has never understood the word CUSTOMER is always right.

Espec's has been raked over the coals for years yet they survive with the new guys who learn the hard way.

As to Lowe's question NO is my answer too. Now look at recieving anything sent to you that you did not order regardless of cost you get to keep free. You do not even have to notify the company. The law says if a business sends you things regardless of the cost of it if you did not order it you are allowed to keep it and do not have to notify them they sent it. The first time they bill you for it ask for proof you ordered it, when they cannot provide it tell them to stop billing you since you never ordered it to start with.

Law offices of Jon. :)

I find it is important to be able to get answers to your technical questions that would help you make a sound business purchase or solve a problem in the field. If your current vendor isnt meeting your expectations, there are many others out there who work hard to earn your business.

I for one share in others feelings and experiences about espec and choose to buy from other sources who appreciate our business and who I will send referrals and new business to in return.

One hand washes the other.

Rod~

Yes but I don't come cheap! And while I am working for you who is going to list my books, pull those sold, box them and ship them? Hmm, my degree in law is from TJ, Mexico but that should not matter.

OFFEND nothing, this forum is for fun and you posted in fun.

Speaking of degree's just where did "Rev" Jackson send his 5 bucks to get his from?

So what would happen at Lowe's to those 85 people that answered YES honestly? OK, maybe their stupid but NOT liars.

A company I worked for a while back was giving (for sake of not remembering it's real name) an intelligent test to all the employees by an independent company.

They scrapped the program after they discovered that the hierarchy's score was much lower than the peons under them.