Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Fat Snake.

Question

14 answers to this question

Nice snake. Damn shame she couldn't leave well enough alone and go back into the woods to live a long healthy life....

Celeste, they aren't that bad. Just a few months ago I saw my neighbors pool boys hovering over a snake. From the way they were ducking and weaving, you would have thought it was a king cobra. I walked over to take look and almost died laughing. These two guys were trying to put the "deadly" king snake into a 5 gal bucket with a pole. They had already put the bucket over it, but couldn't figure out how to get the bucket upright with the snake in it.... I gave him a few minutes to calm down and then picked him up and carried him into my woods where he can live in peace.

Chicken with more bones than fish and about as much meat than a squirrel! We have annual roundups here that serve rattler. It's not bad eating, but alot of work for a little food (like crawfish).

Nabbed? Hooked? What were you doing, fishing for it? Ugh, I have the willies now - I hate snakes.

Celeste

I have a 10 foot piece of emt pipe that has a braided cable running thru it. Pull the end of the cable and it is like a noose for the snake. I guess we will go with nabbed. Either way when they come around with 300 kids at play and keep coming back after appearing to be scared off, they need to taken out.

I am not into the eating part, but I did save the skin and rattle. The skin measures over 5 inches in the widest part when laid flat.

Nice snake. Damn shame she couldn't leave well enough alone and go back into the woods to live a long healthy life....

Celeste, they aren't that bad. Just a few months ago I saw my neighbors pool boys hovering over a snake. From the way they were ducking and weaving, you would have thought it was a king cobra. I walked over to take look and almost died laughing. These two guys were trying to put the "deadly" king snake into a 5 gal bucket with a pole. They had already put the bucket over it, but couldn't figure out how to get the bucket upright with the snake in it.... I gave him a few minutes to calm down and then picked him up and carried him into my woods where he can live in peace.

My wife gets mad when I pick up snakes, but I grew up in Kentucky and that's just one of the things we did as kids. The only poisonous ones I've ever picked up are the pygmy rattlers. They're smaller but somewhat aggressive. Usually about a foot in length. They're all over FL. I've seen Eastern Diamondbacks as road kill, but none in the wild yet. Water Moccasins in the conservation behind the house too.

Just monday one of my guys was trying to put a baby cottonmouth into a gatoraid bottle, He was wrapped tight around the hose, and striking at the lip of the bottle. Needless to say he wasnt going to go in. So I grabbed a peice of metal, put it on his head and grabbed him around the neck. Nice little sucker. Was happy to put him back where he belonged.

Snakes dont bother me at all. But show me a spider and the willies will start immediatly.

Just monday one of my guys was trying to put a baby cottonmouth into a gatoraid bottle, He was wrapped tight around the hose, and striking at the lip of the bottle. Needless to say he wasnt going to go in. So I grabbed a peice of metal, put it on his head and grabbed him around the neck. Nice little sucker. Was happy to put him back where he belonged.

Snakes dont bother me at all. But show me a spider and the willies will start immediatly.

As a rule I don't kill anything living unless a) it *richly* deserves it or b) it looks tasty to me. Typically humans fall in category A and animals in category B. Execeptions are rare since god's creatures seek only to be left alone and humans are not very tender and somewhat difficult to debone.

Water Moccasins in the conservation behind the house too.

I've killed two moccasins in the past week within 5 feet of the house. With all the rain this year, the lake is just about up in the yard, and the snakes are a lot more active...haven't seen any in about 5 years, up until this week.

I agree, leave them alone if possible, but with two dogs and a cat sharing that part of the yard, I had to opt for safety.