Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Van or Trailer

Does anyone operate from a Van?

I am weighing the pros and cons of a used van vs. a trailer.

I need to expand to a less wear and tear situation.

I go the trailer route because I can use my trucks for other things. When I first started washing I only had one vehicle my truck I took care to make sure it stayed clean inside and drove it everywhere.

I started with an "open" trailer but changed over to vans after a few months. The trailer worked fine, and it was cheap to buy. It created a "low investment" image and little visibilty, which is where a closed trailer or van really shines.

A van is a rolling billboard that will get you more jobs.

I have an E-350 and pull an open 5x10 trailer. Works great because I can keep the chems cool and lock up things inside. The rest sits on the trailer (unit, h20 tank, hose reels, generator and recovery.)

They both have their advantages.

Both seem easy to operate out of.

I would not mind getting an older solid used van with air conditioning, that is completely gutted in the back.

I've got a trailer and three vans with small units mounted in them including hose reels. I've been thinking about getting a step van, sprinter or a box truck I just haven't decided which one. I know Beth and others love the sprinters but, well, they just seem strange to me.. Some kinda hybrid box/van thing. I'm just tired of backing up a trailer or trying to figure out how to park one in a townhouse complex without blocking traffic or parking spaces. I could unhook it but I'm sick of that.

I'm thinking box truck, maybe a 12' one but I'll let you know when I decide.

I've been on an open trailer for 2 years now. I already find my 7x10 & 6x12 trailer too small and many things live in the truck bed which looks dumpy. Because of that a van's size would be a big negative for me. Weather protection and the ability to lock it and go would be a big plus.

One big negative of a trailer is that truck and trailer are almost 40ft long and can be a bear to manuver in many locations. On the positive side, the one of the crew can unhitch the truck and run for lunch, gas, etc. w/o rolling up.

All that said, my ideal vehicle would be a box truck with a box footprint of about 7x16. Actually, a box truck with roll up sides would be perfect. However, that may be greener grass since I have never worked out of one.

The biggest problem I see with a box van would be the high load height. Most are a good three feet up, and thats a pretty good step up, or even pretty high to lift things in and out of. Perhaps someone who has one would chime in on this.

Aplus---Dead-on about the box van height-no fun. I think this question breaks down better if you define what work you do, and how you do it. I think for a PW only company (commercial/trucks/flat) a large box van with two skids would be a great solution, whereas a cargo van would be too small. If you do decks/residental, a cargo van works well. Another consideration is your size. Owner/op?? Then you only can have one vehicle, and I'd say a large enclosed trailer is the best bet, becuase you need room for EVERYTHING (or a cargo pulling an open trailer). And I think that is a good place to start out, and then add cargo/sprinter vans as you grow with employees. My experience--employees driving anything is scary, much less pulling a trailer or driving something the size of a school bus (speaking of, you can buy school busses EXTREMELY cheap!)