Sign in to follow this  
mdspowerwashing

Which to buy, X-JET or M-JET Nozzle???

Question

Hi, I'm just getting into the power washing business. I have a 5gpm, 3000 psi unit. I'm looking at either buying a X-jet or M-jet nozzle. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each? Will the m-jet still shoot the chemicals up high like the x-jet? Which one do most you guys prefer? Or should I buy both?

Thanks, Matt

56 answers to this question

I have both the x-jet and the M-5, like Henry I found the M-5 to be about 6 to 8 ft shorter than the x-jet. So if I need to get high on the Gable ends its the x-jet, if its a low reach then the M-5. Just my preference. If I was going to buy 1 I would go with the x-jet with the close nozzle, better to be able to reach high places. When your close just screw the close nozzle on. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Either way you can't lose, they're great pieces of equipment to have.

M-5 user here...It is my most versitile tool in the box. Drops my pressure to 500PSI so I also us it for wood, if I do wood. If height is a problem attach a wand or stand on a step ladder. It is great for rinsing down flat work after using a surface cleaner and misting plants when washing down. If I had to screw in a nozzle every time I needed a fan shape/lower output I'd go nuts. M-5 a must have for residential cleaning.

I bought the origanal x-jet about a year ago. I used to down stream everything (acids, house wash,etc.), then I got into the x-jet craze and used it for everything. Well now my x-jet sits in the tool box never getting used and I am back to downstreaming and much happier, I guess the old adage if it aint broke dont fix it comes into play with me here.

I bought the origanal x-jet about a year ago. I used to down stream everything (acids, house wash,etc.), then I got into the x-jet craze and used it for everything. Well now my x-jet sits in the tool box never getting used and I am back to downstreaming and much happier, I guess the old adage if it aint broke dont fix it comes into play with me here.

Amen to that. I started out with the original Xjet, mainly because it came with my rig (bought used). I was very happy with it, and am now on my 2nd M5. However, Mel from Vero Under Pressure got me to seriously consider downstreaming, and since I have tried it, I'm very happy with it.

The Xjet still has it's place, like cleaning heavily mildewed aluminum screen enclosure supports, and other things like that where I need a little boost to the chlorine. For most uses, however, downstreaming works just fine and saves me a good bit of time and hassle.

X-Jet, M-5 version, hands down.

More versitile tool.

Beth

I don't like all the extra stuff that has to go along with the x-jet.I use in my opinion a better solution.

Tropical Wave,

I use a 20% downstreamer from e-spec. There are pretty cheap. I use the adjustable ones with a ceramic ball this is one of the few things that I like from e-spec.

I don't like all the extra stuff that has to go along with the x-jet.I use in my opinion a better solution.

Mel,

How much is the downstreamer you are using?How about a pic of it and how it's installed on your rig.

Tropical Wave,

I use a 20% downstreamer from e-spec. There are pretty cheap. I use the adjustable ones with a ceramic ball this is one of the few things that I like from e-spec.

I use the same one Mel uses (got it from him). Not sure the ratio, but it works, that's what matters. One day when I have the time and think about it, I'll test the ratio on my machine and see how it compares to the Xjet.

I use the same one Mel uses (got it from him). Not sure the ratio, but it works, that's what matters. One day when I have the time and think about it, I'll test the ratio on my machine and see how it compares to the Xjet.

Mike I checked mine the other day.I run 9.3 gpm and it took a little less than 2 minutes to suck down a gallon.That might not sound like much but it cleans exteriors very well.

Used mine today to put sodium hydroxide on a restaurant drive-thru........Sweet!

Thanks for the injector, Mel!

Well finally some feedback from Orlando, LOL Your quite welcome.

cost?

The xjet is great but one less hose and bucket to mess with would be great.There is an adjustable downstreamer on the skid but it's never been used.It's between the pump and coil I think and I'm not sure what % it draws.

cost?

The xjet is great but one less hose and bucket to mess with would be great.There is an adjustable downstreamer on the skid but it's never been used.It's between the pump and coil I think and I'm not sure what % it draws.

I'm not sure on the cost.How much would it be worth to you on a 95 degree 90% humidity,to not have to screw around with 2 hoses some sort of bucket or cart to hall the chemical all the way around the house with. Scott you can pay me with the sweat you'll use dragging that extra stuff around.lolicon12.gif

I just changed my M-5 from a #13 orifice to a #16 oriffic which has made an incredible difference in the cleanness of the spray pattern, and it has seemed to increase the distance. I did this because when I switched from a 4gpm machine to a 5.5gpm I didn't like the increase in pressure while applying chem with my M-5. Now the pressure seems to be a bit more gentle, and the misty overspray effect is not near as bad.

As for the age old x-jet vs. downstreaming debate, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the x-jet is to much trouble, inconvenient, complicated, your simply just not doing it right. If you have the right set up for it (no carrying buckets etc.) it is faster, and far more versitale than downstreaming. The only time I can see downstreaming being a better choice, is when doing a very small job where the extra couple of minutes of set up required with the X-jet would hender the speed of such a small area to be cleaned. I used to downstream for over a year before Mike and a few others convinced me to try the x-jet and I finally did and I don't regret it in the least. I will say that if your doing the bucket method, then its no wonder one would get tired of using it and go back to downstreaming, but if you have a cart mounted 20g drum with 50' of hose all fitted with QC, and a specially made ramp on the back of the trailer to wheel it off, its just to easy.

Ok....I guess that means I'll have to find one and set myself free of the extra burden.

CCPC,

We did the cart thing for while,that is until the hose reel mounted on top sliced open my right bicep.Missed one of my tattoos by an inch.Not to mention it was hard to handle on yards with less than perfect terrain.

The cart sits in the shop and the hose reel is now used for extention cords on the rig.

Our xjet has been a great asset to us and will continue to be,but if I can add another useful tool to the arsenal why not?

My question is why would you want to wheel a cart and 50ft of hose off a specially built ramp if you didn't have to.... 20gl x 8.5lbs per gl = 170lbs plus the specially made cart.I wouldn't care if it was a small job or a big job.The tips I use can reach 3+ stories without having to replace orifaces and all that misting and overspray.

CCPC please explain to me how it is more versatile and faster than downstreaming.I tried using it, I even set up a shurflo with 200 ft of hose to keep from dragging the buckets/cart around on uneven terrain.I had the right set-up and wasted 159.00 and used it once.Give me your address and I'll send it to you it has the #16 oriface in it already.

My question is why would you want to wheel a cart and 50ft of hose off a specially built ramp if you didn't have to.... 20gl x 8.5lbs per gl = 170lbs plus the specially made cart.I wouldn't care if it was a small job or a big job.The tips I use can reach 3+ stories without having to replace orifaces and all that misting and overspray.

because its faster.

My tank only has pure chemical in it till I postion it in its first spot on the property and fill the appropriate amout of water with the end of my wand. By the time I have to move it, it may have 10 g. in it, if that. Keep in mind, I rarely have to fill tank to the full 20 g. and I usually only have to reposition the tank maybe 3 times on an average 2,500 sqft house.