Sign in to follow this  
Neil_Asheville

Should it smell like bleach?

Question

First post. TGS seems to be full of great guys and gals...I'm looking forward to learning and growing good friendships here. I'm in home healthcare full time and currently do an occassional residential house wash. I plan to continue to do 6-8 houses a month max. I have a housewash recipe question and a M5 question.

As for my wash mix...all I smell is chlorine. I'd prefer my clients smell more of the wash detergent and less in-your-face-i'm-using-bleach smell. Current 5gal recipe is 1.5 gal 15%, .5 gal "Big G" butyl cleaner/degreaser (#4532), 3 gal water. I added more Big G but got way too soapy and hard to rinse. Would you recommend a more fragrant wash mix? Has anyone heard of or used "Big G"? The label states 10:1 to 25:1 as varying dilution rates. Being new to chems, should the wash have a similar TTW consistency as a soaped up car doing a hand wash job or is that too soapy?

I'm using an M5 no proportioner w/ ~60ft of draw line, Simpson 2400psi 4.5 gal cold water machine. I have to say i'm not overly impressed with the distance of the M5. Although it was windy yesterday, I couldn't reach the top of my 2 story with full basement. Most of the homes in my area are 3 floors on sloping lots. I see a 24' extension wand in my near future. I could reach fine in rinse mode dialing the M5 open, although when pulling chems my distance was greatly reduced. Is this typical? I also had a hard time drawing chem when dialed all the way open. The short-range fan is wonderful and pulled chem nicely. I plan to get in touch with Xterior tomorrow to inquire more.

Thanks in advance. With more practice, T&E, and hanging around here I'm sure it'll come together.

Cheers...

/neil

14 answers to this question

Neil,

The buytl is a good cleaner for gutters and grease, and it won't hurt your mix,just be care to prevent it from drying on windows.I think what you are missing from the mix is a true detergent.

Even if you resorted to using some kind of laundry detergent you would notice a much more pleasant smell.Not to mention it will give your mix more cling on vertical surfaces.We prefer RPC citracleen as our detergent.

Thanks Scott. In talking with my local chem supply house they said this butyl would be fine for house washing. I was thinking Big G at $6/gal would be a suitable replacement to a citricleen or powerhouse etc and I could get it locally, a big plus. I think they primarily work with contractors doing commercial flat work with hot units. Right now I'm using purple power, but will try this butyl 1:1 head to head and see which does best. Thanks again.

I've never had one complaint on the bleach smell. When a customer asks if I'm using bleach I tell them i'm using pool chlorine and they're actually impressed instead of worried. The problem with your range is the gpm on your machine, you should upgrade. My machine's only 4 gpm, but at lower pressure I can still hit 40 ft up w/o my extension wand. Wind is the biggest houswashing enemy. I rather it pour down rain than be windy on house wash days. Just like high rise buidings, a swift wind can cause an updraft. I've been using the x-jet full throttle 20 ft away from the house, soaping, and when I stopped the house was bone-frieking dry. I get furious when it's windy. Poor guys who wash in Chicago!

I've never had one complaint on the bleach smell. When a customer asks if I'm using bleach I tell them i'm using pool chlorine and they're actually impressed instead of worried. The problem with your range is the gpm on your machine, you should upgrade. My machine's only 4 gpm, but at lower pressure I can still hit 40 ft up w/o my extension wand. Wind is the biggest houswashing enemy. I rather it pour down rain than be windy on house wash days. Just like high rise buidings, a swift wind can cause an updraft. I've been using the x-jet full throttle 20 ft away from the house, soaping, and when I stopped the house was bone-frieking dry. I get furious when it's windy. Poor guys who wash in Chicago!

I agree here. I would much rather work in the rain than spray chemicals on a windy day. My main concern with the wind is overspray on cars and houses rather than losing a little of the chemical. March sucks for this very reason.

I always thought that the housewash chems would hurt vehicles, but it's not true( besides the butyl stuff) My good friend owns a car detail biz and chlorine does not hurt car paint, it just strips off the wax. I should know, my truck feels like sandpaper.

Thanks Scott. In talking with my local chem supply house they said this butyl would be fine for house washing. I was thinking Big G at $6/gal would be a suitable replacement to a citricleen or powerhouse etc and I could get it locally, a big plus. I think they primarily work with contractors doing commercial flat work with hot units. Right now I'm using purple power, but will try this butyl 1:1 head to head and see which does best. Thanks again.

Purple power is Butyl Caustic. The store variety is quite a bit weaker than that available through a chem supplier. I use it in a pinch myself.

I always thought that the housewash chems would hurt vehicles, but it's not true( besides the butyl stuff) My good friend owns a car detail biz and chlorine does not hurt car paint, it just strips off the wax. I should know, my truck feels like sandpaper.

It will etch the glass on the windows though. My truck is proof of that. I've caught quite a bit of over spray on the windows of my truck and the glass has damage from the chlorine that I have not been able to remove.

I tell ya Scott, your right. When i went on vacation last year I had my buddy detail my truck. It took him 6 hrs and 3 clay bars, but he got all the sealers/stain off my paint. My truck is white and the stains from the sides near the cap and under the tailgate were immense. It looked brand new, I was amazed. As far as the glass right now there's no etching, but my glass( and paint, I'm sure) is coated with overspray. A proffesional can easily remove this, but let's not get off topic............ wind is our enemy!!

ClassicPW -

Could you please expand on this statement for me...

The problem with your range is the gpm on your machine, you should upgrade. My machine's only 4 gpm, but at lower pressure I can still hit 40 ft up w/o my extension wand.

My machine is 4.5gpm. What method of lower pressure are you using to hit 40 ft up w/o extension wand? Thanks in advance.

I use bleach as a part of my cleaning process 99% of the time.Another way to help hide the smell is to dilute it down more.In my experience I find this will eliminate the strong chlorine smell and still be as effective.Only real difference is how fast it works but even though it takes a little longer the results are the same.And it will even save a little money.Not that bleach is expensive, but hey save where you can.