Do you have Worker's Comp?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have Worker's Comp?

• Yes, I have it
    • No, I don't have it
    • Not yet, but I am getting it
    • I won't get it - please post why

Because I'm 2 steps ahead of the game! :lgbounces

Actually, there was more than one exemption filed at the time and that's the one they chose to list. My co. otherwise still falls under 'construction' like everyone else's. I'm still jumping through all the same hoops that the rest of you are.

Because I'm 2 steps ahead of the game! :lgbounces

Actually, there was more than one exemption filed at the time and that's the one they chose to list. My co. otherwise still falls under 'construction' like everyone else's. I'm still jumping through all the same hoops that the rest of you are.

I figured as much...Just messing with you. You've been too quiet around here lately.

David, I realize that its expensive in your state. thats silly numbers, 35% of payroll. WOW!!!!!!!

I think i would still have it. I do see why its hard decsion.

that roof stuff pays well, I hear guys clearing 15 20 k per job?

Or more, for the big jobs...problem is, most guys aren't doing the big jobs, and are doing residential roofs at $200.00 on up.

So what you're saying is that in order to be legitimate, you must buy insurance that won't benefit you or the customer one bit?

Not only that, you are saying that since you must buy this insurance that you aren't required to have, don't need, and can't benefit from, simply to be legitimate, then you'll mislead the customer into thinking that as the business owner, you will be barred from suing them for an injury that occured on their property, simply because you purchased insurance that you can't benefit from?

Very strange.

No its not misleading. I work mostly for general contractors. my insurance company sends the and insurance certificate that list all of my covERAGES with expiration dates and limits. Its all in black and white with nothing misleading. I think most general contractors want you to have it because that means they don't have to pay their insurance co. for that payroll amount. eventually i will have myself included. right now to have myself included is in the $4k ball park. when most people see my general liability limits they know that I am ligitimate. I never have had anyone other than contractors ask for insurance certificates.

No its not misleading. I work mostly for general contractors. my insurance company sends the and insurance certificate that list all of my covERAGES with expiration dates and limits. Its all in black and white with nothing misleading. I think most general contractors want you to have it because that means they don't have to pay their insurance co. for that payroll amount. eventually i will have myself included. right now to have myself included is in the $4k ball park. when most people see my general liability limits they know that I am ligitimate. I never have had anyone other than contractors ask for insurance certificates.

I wasn't referring to you. If you notice in my post, I quoted someone, and that someone wasn't you! :) Sorry for the misunderstanding.

What I see as misleading is telling a homeowner that if they don't hire you (not referring to Jim Carroll), then they risk getting a contractor who will sue them for everything they own. This, despite the fact that the "tool" you're using to con them is totally useless to you, as the business owner (assuming you have no employees). I just have a problem with someone who says "Every legitimate contractor has WC insurance" and then goes on to describe how they use this totally useless (to them as the owner and only worker) insurance to convince a customer to hire them, since they are protecting the customer by having insurance they couldn't use even if they WERE hurt on the job.

Please note: Any usage of the words "you", "your", "your'n", "you'se", or "y'all" is in no way referring to Jim Carroll.;)

I wasn't referring to you. If you notice in my post, I quoted someone, and that someone wasn't you! :) Sorry for the misunderstanding.

What I see as misleading is telling a homeowner that if they don't hire you (not referring to Jim Carroll), then they risk getting a contractor who will sue them for everything they own. This, despite the fact that the "tool" you're using to con them is totally useless to you, as the business owner (assuming you have no employees). I just have a problem with someone who says "Every legitimate contractor has WC insurance" and then goes on to describe how they use this totally useless (to them as the owner and only worker) insurance to convince a customer to hire them, since they are protecting the customer by having insurance they couldn't use even if they WERE hurt on the job.

Please note: Any usage of the words "you", "your", "your'n", "you'se", or "y'all" is in no way referring to Jim Carroll.;)

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Hey Mike, I know you've said before that you use a helper, how are you handling that, as far as workemans comp?

You to Don.

Contract labor. I pay her by the day, no taxes, no WC insurance, no payroll taxes. She's a good friend of the family. I wouldn't try that type of setup with someone I didn't know well, or someone who was working the roofs. She washes houses, flatwork, and rinses for me on roof jobs.

Her last day was last Friday, so I'm not sure what I'm doing yet as far as a replacement. I know of one company that will handle payroll for a small (1 or more employees) company. If I wind up hiring someone, that's likely the route I'll go.

just go to the local "illegal" hang out and hire a couple of them for the day. That seems to be the craze nowadays.

I've thought of that...I don't know if they're illegal, but there are some trailers down the road from me that are full of mexicans. Most of them work for a local roofing company.

Hey Mike, I know you've said before that you use a helper, how are you handling that, as far as workemans comp?

You to Don.

The best way that I've found is to run the employee through a temporary labor company. It doesn't work in all situations, but for someone that isn't going to use the employee all the time, it works. On larger commercial jobs where the PM or GC requires everyone to be covered, you can run everyone (including yourself) through the temp agency and pay yourself minimum wage.

Originally Posted by Mike Williamson

So what you're saying is that in order to be legitimate, you must buy insurance that won't benefit you or the customer one bit?

Its to protect the owners of the propertys, its that simple. Mike I would not say you or anyone else is not legit.

I would say its there choice, but in my opinion you or anyone else that chooses not to carry is disadvataged.

Don has the right idea, I have insurance and i use this method while i was a one man band years back. Lots of companys use this small and large.

[/i]

Its to protect the owners of the propertys, its that simple. Mike I would not say you or anyone else is not legit.

I would say its there choice, but in my opinion you or anyone else that chooses not to carry is disadvataged.

Don has the right idea, I have insurance and i use this method while i was a one man band years back. Lots of companys use this small and large.

If I need it, I'll get it. My customers don't care. And as pointed out, having it doesn't do a dang thing for me, or the customer. I have an exempt status, which also protects the property owner.

I fail to see where I"m disadvantaged. If I deal with jobs and/or contracts where I need it, I'll deal with it at that time.

I know you were not referring to me. I have also thought about doing what don does and run myself through a temp agency for the contractors that want myself included to avoid the large expense until I am a larger contractor.

What I don't understand why is it not a benefit to you. If you get yourself covered and you are injured on the job, I would think that would be a benefit to you. Also you say people don't care, but I think if you explain to them what it means to be protected by a workmans comp policy that you will find most do care. I explain to every residential customer that they need to ask anyone that works on their property to produce GL and WC certificates and why it is important for them. I would also not call anyone is not legit, its your lively hood and if you are happy where you are at thats important and good for you. I just think the doors it opens for you are well worth the money.

What I don't understand why is it not a benefit to you. If you get yourself covered and you are injured on the job, I would think that would be a benefit to you. Also you say people don't care, but I think if you explain to them what it means to be protected by a workmans comp policy that you will find most do care. I explain to every residential customer that they need to ask anyone that works on their property to produce GL and WC certificates and why it is important for them. I would also not call anyone is not legit, its your lively hood and if you are happy where you are at thats important and good for you. I just think the doors it opens for you are well worth the money.

In some states (yours included, I believe) the owner of the company cannot receive benefits from the WC policy...I assume to prevent WC fraud. Stupid rules, the bottom line is, they're there. So, when you tell a customer that they're more protected by using you, because you have WC insurance, you're misleading them (though apparently unintentionally.)

Actually, I am covered by my WC policy. It does cost extra for the owner to be covered. You can exempt yourself as the owner if you choose to, but being that my regular health insurance does not cover work related injuries I chose not to exempt myself from coverage.

Actually, I am covered by my WC policy. It does cost extra for the owner to be covered. You can exempt yourself as the owner if you choose to, but being that my regular health insurance does not cover work related injuries I chose not to exempt myself from coverage.

Ahh, maybe I'm thinking of a different state. I know someone posted earlier that owners could not be covered, and I thought I remembered them being from GA. My apologies!

I have a question.....Can one change their policy for a specific job? In other words, say your normally not covered under your WC, but there is a big job that requires that everyone be covered, "is it possible, to be temporarily covered in an instance like that?"

I pay $ 4000 a year for 2 employees and I am 1 of 2. I guess they fear the owner using comp as a insurance policy. What they don't consider is if I use w/c,my rates go through the roof. I use w/c to sell jobs everyday and I am proud of it. I pay for it I should be able to use it.