Sign in to follow this  
krep

Removing Cuprinol Deck Stain

I recently purchased a house and decided that I wanted to remove the solid deck stain currently on the deck and re-stain with a semi-transparent. I worked on this project for approximately 3 weekends removing all the stain that I could - turns out that there were several layers of the Cuprinol solid grey and somekind of tan stain under that. I removed approximately 90% of the stain using over the counter type products (ie. Olympic and various paint store products). I came to the conclusion that I had brought the project as far as I could and needed to hire someone. Unfortunately, the individual I hired spent approximately 24 hrs over 4 days trying to remove the stain and wasn't able to make much progress. Turns out he didn't have experience stripping decks and now I'm out that money.

The remaining spots are mostly on the rails with some spots on the flooring. Is there anyone out there that has any advice on how to remove the remaining stain or would be interested in quoting the job??

Krep -

If you are looking for a contractor, try posting a thread in the Job Leads forum ( right under this one) and put the city and state in the title, along with what the job is, for example: Deck Stripping - North Wales PA 19454 and then add the particulars. Lots of folks view the forums, and I'm sure you'll get a nibble that way.

To us Cuprinol is an easy strip, would love to help, but you are out of our service area.

Beth

Deck needs to be sanded because I hired an individual to try to finish the job and, as it turns out, he had no experience on stripping decks... used a 2400psi pressure washer on full strength and chewed up the deck in spots. The deck has a railing as well as some steps on each side.

Krep,

Contrary to some replies here, anyone who attempts to remove a solid stain and go to a semi-transparent, will have an extremely difficult go of it. Sanding will be required, and the solid color between the deck boards most certainly will not be completely removed. I've personally done 5 or 6 decks in the last two years of this nature, and the results were mediocre at best. The homeowners were thrilled, but I was disappointed. Cuprinol semi-transparent is an easy strip job, solid is not.:bluecry:

Mike,

It depends on the condition of the boards. We have removed Cuprinol solid stain and gone to a semitransparent with no problems, but....the boards were in good condition. I do agree however that if severely cracked and splintered, it can be an issue. But properly sanding - fully sanding the deck and countersinking the nails, should relieve the problem. Flipping boards may also be an option. Cuprinol solid is not hard to strip. We have done it many times with HD-80.

Just a suggestion...after sanding, before sealing the deck, wet the deck and look for any traces of solid that may remain. They will show up better with wet wood than dry wood (dry wood being lighter in color), if the stain was light. If what you see with wet wood jumps out at you and you don't like it, don't go with a semi-transparent if you don't like the remaining hue. Go back to a solid. If you can live with what you see when the wood is wet, let the deck dry and have the semi-transparent installed.

Beth :seeya:

p.s. post pics of your deck if you can....

I'll also add that in some cases wood replacement can be a cost effective option as compared to continued stripping efforts..

Especially when it comes to balusters.. They are very inexpensive (relative to the cost of the time and materials involved in continuing to attempt to strip).

If you have a select few boards that are an issue, or a cap rail that won't come clean to your specs, consider replacing the wood.

Cujo

I've never understood the logic is generically saying "flip the boards". Unless the boards are just straight cuts, they won't fit if flipped over. And if the boards are nailed with spiral shank nails, you'll never get the boards up without damaging them.

If it were me, I'd just replace the boards.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_attachment_explain

This link I like a little better...

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3866&highlight=attach

This should help with attaching a pic. If you need more help, let me know.

Beth

Krep,

Contrary to some replies here, anyone who attempts to remove a solid stain and go to a semi-transparent, will have an extremely difficult go of it. Sanding will be required, and the solid color between the deck boards most certainly will not be completely removed. I've personally done 5 or 6 decks in the last two years of this nature, and the results were mediocre at best. The homeowners were thrilled, but I was disappointed. Cuprinol semi-transparent is an easy strip job, solid is not.:bluecry:

What product did you use and at what ratio?

Mike I have also done these- I tell custmers I will remove 80 to 90 % of the stain- Some colors blend in and you can't notice after a month when using Ready Seal. Or after the first coat I take a drill with a wire brush attachment and remove more stain. But most customers like the Dis-stressed antique look they didn't know how to achieve!!

Krep,

Just as a suggestion you may want to ask for references from the next guy you higher. Cuprinol Solid can be a bet tricky to remove but must pro's should get 80% - 90% of this stain off with washing of course as others have said between the boards and knots will be a bet more difficult to remove.

I recently purchased a house and decided that I wanted to remove the solid deck stain currently on the deck and re-stain with a semi-transparent. I worked on this project for approximately 3 weekends removing all the stain that I could - turns out that there were several layers of the Cuprinol solid grey and somekind of tan stain under that. I removed approximately 90% of the stain using over the counter type products (ie. Olympic and various paint store products). I came to the conclusion that I had brought the project as far as I could and needed to hire someone. Unfortunately, the individual I hired spent approximately 24 hrs over 4 days trying to remove the stain and wasn't able to make much progress. Turns out he didn't have experience stripping decks and now I'm out that money.

The remaining spots are mostly on the rails with some spots on the flooring. Is there anyone out there that has any advice on how to remove the remaining stain or would be interested in quoting the job??

My question is why did you pay them? In my area there are so many crap pressure washers doing crap work that I've constantly got jobs repairing their mistakes. It makes it very hard for me to sell jobs because so many people have gotten shafted by the 4000 psi only water guy. If I were you I would rent the sanders buff it out and hire a painter to come stain it. That is if there are no reputable pw companies in your area.