Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Lowe

Washing a house

Question

I'm just starting out, as a matter of fact my first job is in two weeks. This house is going to be painted and it has aluminum siding and the paint is chaulking. I have a 3700 psi cold water unit with 3.5 gpm what would be the best way to clean it and what chemicals should I use.

Any help will help.........

15 answers to this question

This will be a great learning experience for you.. trial by fire is one of the best ways to learn. Rather than get into every scenario you might encounter, do a search on this board using terms like 'housewashing', 'gutter cleaning', and 'X-Jet'

Call one of these folks (see vendors in link) and get the x-jet, M-5. Talk to them also about house washing solution. If this is your first house, go straight to the horses mouth and get a distributor's help. It's very, very valuable. They can make sure you have everything you need the day you do the work. http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item800

Beth

Aluminum siding , chalking , 1st house wash. These three things do not go together in my opinion. Chalking Aliminum siding has a potential to be a disaster, especially for an inexperience pwer, Not to mention for one's that have experience. I would not do this house being your first one. I try to avoid painted aluminum houses ,chalking or not.

I would not do this house being your first one. 
I try to avoid painted aluminum houses ,chalking or not.

Being that it is prep work for a fresh paint job it should go fine..

Go for it...

Guest leevitalone

I did not see one decent respone to the question the new guy asked!! Alum. is a "self cleaning" surface! the chalk is NORMAL!! Colors are for experienced only!! For a first job I would avoid it!! Get some exper. under your belt 1st!! If it is white, then there are 2 situations, one is it's going to be a pre-paint. If you see any metal showing thru the paint, it's a no brainer, all you can do is prep for paint. If there is no metal visible then you will use TSP, or aluminum brightner. I would call Delco for 1. chemicals, 2. advice! again, it is not a job for those who are not exper. !! ( all the responses are those who blow there own horns for ads!! SOME HELP YOU GOT!!

Hey Leevitalone -

Actually, the vendors who are in the lst all give GREAT SUPPORT and are VERY helpful and patient with newbies. There is nothing wrong with suggesting he call them.

By the way....aluminum is NOT a self cleaning surface. If it were, algae and mildew would not grow on it now would they? There is no such thing as maintenance free.

Also searching and reading yields some really helpful results as well.

By viewing the FAQ area that we have that is specific to house washing, you'll also get more info. http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item5000

Have a better day....

Beth

Yea I'd say wish there were some other things that were self cleaning!! Just think if you could choose what you want to be self cleanin. Truck would always be clean of trash and dirk, your trailer clean on the inside and out, the Grime Scene would not have dirt in it such as know it alls and such. know what I mean? would be great!!

I did not see one decent respone to the question the new guy asked!! Alum. is a "self cleaning" surface! the chalk is NORMAL!! Colors are for experienced only!! For a first job I would avoid it!! Get some exper. under your belt 1st!! If it is white, then there are 2 situations, one is it's going to be a pre-paint. If you see any metal showing thru the paint, it's a no brainer, all you can do is prep for paint. If there is no metal visible then you will use TSP, or aluminum brightner. I would call Delco for 1. chemicals, 2. advice! again, it is not a job for those who are not exper. !! ( all the responses are those who blow there own horns for ads!! SOME HELP YOU GOT!!

Hey,moron...go back and read his post...He says it is for paint prep...Get off your friggin high horse and shut the hell up if that's all you have to say.

No idea what the hell you're talking about as far as blowing the horn for ads...No one who responded sells chems or equipment. Those little underlined thingys in their posts aren't ads, they're LINKS to information.

Idiot.

I'm not sure what happened here since the post was deleted, but a paint prep is the easiest wash there is as long as the house comes clean and it's properly rinsed. I do these on a daily basis and I LUV EM!!