Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Woohoo! Love the way this sprays!

Question

We did two side by side decks today. We sealed them with the new thinner release of the Wood Tux Warm Honey Gold. We can report that the new Wood Tux is quite sprayable, and easy to apply. Excellent coverage as well! A neighbor came by while we were working and had to get a card, so she could get her deck done too!

Beth

p.s. attached are before, during and after photos. Rod is spraying in one of the shots...

post-1-137772146506_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772146509_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772146512_thumb.jpg

123 answers to this question

I personally don't understand why there is this constant comparing between Ready Seal and Wood-Tux WET.

We have a real apples and oranges thing going on here. I will tell you right now the two are nothing alike. The only think that could possibly be compared between the two is some colors of Ready Seal also use transoxide pigments.

There is no way to say one is good because the other is bad. The truth is both products are good. I know I am going to be preaching to the quire a bit here but. . .

Ready Seal is an excellent product for a wide variety of projects. It has a nice rich color that enhances the beauty of the wood. The select oils used in Ready Seal are ideal for penetrating into nearly every type of wood. Ready Seal will seek out and fill any voids within the wood and keep out moisture. Ready seal is also extremely easy to apply because it will not overlap or show drip marks EVER. Because of it's price point it makes an excellent choice for a fence stain. It looks great on wood siding and it speeds up the staining process on decks because it is so forgiving.

Ready Seal has had a great influence on the wood restoration industry. I believe that anyone who uses this product will find that it is everything it claims to be. I know more contractors (and I talk to a lot) who have used Ready Seal than any other product I've heard of.

There are no magic bullets and for that reason you may find projects where Ready Seal is not your best choice, but it will always be your choice whether to take on that project or not. It is entirely possible to start and run a successful restoration business using no other stain than Ready Seal.

Ready Seal is a great product for all of these reasons and many more.

I am really excited to talk about Wood-Tux and for that matter any of our products. Speaking with contractors is by far my favorite part of what I do. I am not comfortable talking about another product especially when I feel like to say something good about our product would be saying something bad about another.

If you have questions about our products please don't be afraid to ask. That is what I'm here for. Feel free to ask the tough questions too. I do not mind talking about the products weaknesses as well as it's strengths. The more you understand something the more comfortable you are in making decisions about it.

I really appreciate everyone's participation in this and other threads. Out of respect for the Ready Seal family I just wanted to make my feelings known.

Best of Luck!

Russ,

The comparison comes from everyone wanting to know which is "better." I personally cringe at this question, due to it's worthlessness. What if you charge $2.00sf to refinish, and with one product you must apply every year, but the ease and function allow you be profitable at .50sf. Another product last well for two years, but for maintenance to be profitable you must charge $2.00sf again. One lasts twice as long, but in my mind is not "better." So the debate rages on (this was in no way a comparison RS and WTW)

People need to quit asking what is "better", and realize that there is nothing, and never will be anything, that is going to make a deck floor look nice for over two years. Mother Nature/Environment is not going to allow that. So the question that needs to be asked is, "for where I want to position myself in my market, which product will achieve the results I and my customers want, and will allow me to maximize my profit potential for where I am taking my company."

AND THIS WILL BE DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE!!!! If it weren't, then WTW or RS or TWP or SRD or any other grouping of three consonants would dominate the market, and eliminate the others. Since that is not the case, this must mean people have different standards as to what they expect of a product.

okay, I've got to get to working now:) Enough of play time:)

Jon,

I love a good discussion. I certainly don't have all the answers. But I have some thoughts and some observations. I don't mind discussing them. And to be honest I too would love to hear what other's take is on this.

When a deck is built, the wood is new, and has not shrunk yet, etc. I think what many products are trying to accomplish, is to slow or retard the metamorphoses that begins to take place the day the deck is built. ( shrinking, warping, cupping cracking, checking etc.)

True, you can't put back the original oils any more that you can slap the bark back on the tree. But, if you moisturize the wood, and protect it you can slow it down.

Ok, really stupid example here ( but I have a cold and it's the best I can conjure out of my fuzzy head today) ...

Think about a piece of kindling. It's really dry. It burns easily. But if you soak it in water, it doesn't burn as easlily. Moisure protects it from buring as fast ( told you it was a goofy example).

Well, if you have wood exposed, and you don't protect it, then it dries faster, greys faster, cracks and so forth faster and worse that if you care for it. Now if you moisturize and protect it, it doesn't crack as quickly, as it could and surely doesn't suffer the UV damage as much. If you go pick up a twig that has fallen from a tree ( I have done this) and peel back the bark, the heartwood is more moist than if you find a twig with no bark and inspect the heartwood .... bark protects at the surface. This, in a nutshell is why I personally like an alkyd nearer to the top. This, is why I think a mosturizer followed by a sealer that cures closer to the top, is the best way of all. It's something we have heard of, and have also been thining about for a while. ( one of those things that makes you go "huh"...)

Have you ever noticed how a deck in shade most of the time has boards that seem to suffer less from drying and so forth, than a deck with at least a half day's sun? True, you may have horrible moisture issues and the challenges of rot or decay with a full shade deck, but if you can combat that effectively you're ahead of the game.

Who's next?

Beth

okay, I'll throw one at ya Beth......what good is "moisturizing??" I've alluded to this before, I've heard the sales pitches about "replenishing lost oils, or sugars, or fats, or whatever" but in the grand scheme of things, what exactly do you feel that is providing?? The wood will crack and split less since it is loaded with oil?? Oil and water don't mix, so eliminating water from the rot equation (wood+air+water+heat=rot) will make the wood last indefinitely?? I've wanted to debate this for a while, so I'm anxious to hear what everyone has to say (not just proposing this to Beth)

Now we are getting to the good stuff!

Since I am the one most often speaking about "replenishing oils fats and sugars that have been depleted" I am happy to take this on.

First I must tell you that a prime function of mine is marketing and sales. You must always keep that in mind. While I will always present you with the truth and that truth will be presented in a way that favors our products. Does this make me evil? No, it is the nature of humans and a talent in sales professionals. If your child has big old floppy feet you may be more inclined to point out their beautiful smile.

I will always be fair and if you want to talk about feet that's part of my job too!

The prime function of replenishing wood is to buy a few years before completely neglected wood siding has to be replaced. The secondary function is to save the contractor money.

I am going to do my best to explain this so that words paint the picture. There is a house that has 4,000 square feet of wood siding. The house was built in 1992 and treated with a clear sealer provided by the builder. After that nothing was done to it at all. Now in 2005 I come along and restore (wash) that siding. It looks great, but I can tell it is very dry. (the natural oils, fats and sugars are not very abundant). I have a sponge like substrate made mostly of lignin and cellulose. This siding is thirsty.

I am looking at the cost of my sealer. It is $139.00 per pail. I know that I only need a couple of mills of penetration to provide the protection I am looking for. I also know that as thirsty as this wood is, my stain crew is going to over apply, the wood is just going to drink up the stain and it is going to cut into my profits.

I can either do the staining myself, try to teach my labor not to over apply or just over charge the customer. I know that if I can protect just the surface I will save money, but thirsty wood is thirsty wood and this will be hard to do. Additionally I really do want to do what is best for the wood and protect it as best I can. There is another solution.

Here comes that word!

Replenish the wood with a deep penetrating oil and then apply the more expensive product over top of it to save on materials. By doing so you will add to the structural integrity of the wood. Addling oils deep into the wood will help keep the siding stable and it will not want to curl as much. In testing, I've seen siding that was curled when we started lay out after the wood was "replenished." This is because when the wood dries out it will tend to shrink more in the direction of the center of the tree. Wood really prefers to be round. That is why you do not see many square trees.

Now Jon asks a great question. . ."What exactly is that providing." He is asking if it is over kill. The answer is maybe!

The truth is both a Ford and a Ferrari will get you to the theater. As to whether the Ferrari is overkill, it would depend on which driver you asked.

You can protect the wood without "replenishing" it. Sometimes you will want to go above and beyond!

I want to make it VERY clear, I am not calling Ready Seal a Ford and more than I am calling Wood-Tux a Ferrari! I am talking about a "system" of wood preservation. You could probably combine several products available on the market in the same sort of system.

If we could get Wood-Tux WET to dive all the way into the wood the way Ready Seal or DMC does I might be inclined to call it a magic bullet. The truth is we cant and that is why we now talk about "replenishing wood."

Wood-Tux by itself is a great product and I honestly believe that it will out perform in NEARLY every way any single coat product it's put up against based on OUR SET of criteria. To me that is just not enough. Extreme Solutions, Inc. is about taking it to that next level. It is about figuring out how to improve on excellence. If I believe that replenishing the wood will bring an end result that will not only WOW the contractor but also WOW the customer with the Ferrari in the garage that is what I teach.

Do I think this system is right for every job? Only if every one of your customers has a Ferrari! The truth is people buy based on many different motivators. This is a great system to sell to those who buy on quality and image alone. For the majority of people cost is a real issue. In that case Wood-Tux WET is the answer.

(Ready Seal is also a good solution, but this is my post and I am a salesman)

Now I've only touched on the basic concept of the Wood-Tux system. This is what the products are about in their simplest function. I hope that more tough question will lead to discussions that will bring out some of the truly unique properties of Wood-Tux WET.

Good post Russ.

Not that i think you took it this way, but in no way do i mean to insult you as a salesman or spin doctor. That is what you are, that is what I am, and if we do it poorly we go broke or go home. Says a lot though that you are willing to step into the Lion's Den and answer questions from all of us skeptics.

Interesting point you make about the cedar siding de-warping once oiled up. I too agree that an oil provides SOME FUNCTION that preserves wood. The Cedar Shake and Shingle Bureau states that periodic applications of TWP 200 will double the life of a roof, and as expensive as shakes are, that is money well spent. Perhaps I am more comfortable with the term "replace" as opposed to "replinish."

One thing I believe you may have nailed is if you DMC product performs as a PRIMER, and not just a conditioner. In other words, take 20yr old siding, neglected, clean it up, and stain, and the results might be a '6' on a scale of 1-10. Now, if the DMC seals the wood and allows the WTW color to stay near the top more, then you'll be the final appearance up to that 8-9 range.

I proposed this theory to Pierce in regards to RS, but he said that even RS Clear is an Amber color, so you couldn't get a true "invisible prime". With one of the waterbase systems I use a lot, they have a clear primer that dries invisible, and allows the stain to sit on top of it (filmforming waterbase) thus creating a beautiful finish every time, even if the wood is neglected or blasted. But since it is oil, I assume you DMC is not a true clear (correct me if I'm wrong)

jon

(ps for russ): i made a post in this forum a few weeks ago entitled, "eating metal", if you get a chance read that and post a thought or two,

Jon

We are trying to do the same "priming" thing only working with our oils. I agree that it would be hard to create an invisible prime. If that was an important goal it would be a fun challenge.

We actually put pigment into our DMC knowing that there are contractors who would want to use it alone. It is inexpensive and does offer good looking protection that will last a year or so.

Now getting back to that sales man thing, let me come clean with you. . .

primer is an ok word but "conditioner" grabs emotions.

replace or fill in says it but "replenish" sells it.

I try always to maximize the effectiveness of my efforts. Rather than just describe something I will use words and catch phrases that will in turn help our contractor customers "sell" the bid to their customers.

I do not sell Wood-Tux. I recruit installers. As a customer you sell the stain for me. If I wanted to sell stain to homeowners it would be much easier to just put it into stores and let them buy it direct.

The most important thing I can do is support the wood restoration industry, try to educate the contractors and ensure that our customers are successful.

If you catch me using fluffy words and you're not exactly sure what I am saying, call me out! I am always happy to break it down.

Jon, I think you said in plain words what I have been rambling about. . .

One thing I believe you may have nailed is if you DMC product performs as a PRIMER, and not just a conditioner. In other words, take 20yr old siding, neglected, clean it up, and stain, and the results might be a '6' on a scale of 1-10. Now, if the DMC seals the wood and allows the WTW color to stay near the top more, then you'll be the final appearance up to that 8-9 range.

As far as lions. . I didn't name the company Mildly Bold Solutions, Inc. I understand that when you try to do things differently and buck convention you are going to have to face the lions.

Jon

Nah, the storm split and went right around me.

If you look on a map I live right on the Mississippi River in MO where it runs from west to east. I'm right in that bump in the river right about mid state. What you don't see on that map is that the IL side of the river is lined by 200 - 300 foot high bluffs. For some reason this causes most of the storms that move across the flat plains to break as they get here.

Doesn't always hold true, but we missed it last night.

ABR came out with a product years ago (cant find it anymore...thank god! the smell was so terrible that both our customers and the employees were not happy with it) but they still were trying to do the same thing, replace what was being lost after the tree was cut down. The bark is the protection, the oils are the moisturizers. Oil and water does not mix, but alkyds and water do. A moisturizer's part is to keep the wood from suffering an expedited loss of its natural moisture by taking the place of what it can no longer produce itself. The top coat is performing the function of the bark to keep the moisture in and the elements out.

This all in all is what Russ has been trying to explain and I think in laymans terms its a bit more readily understandable by the average joe who hasn't yet learned all the the terminology.

Ready Seal is in its own classification. It spreads itself out quite well and is very easy to apply without the worry of over lapping or excessive drips due to its penetrative abilities.

Wood Tux Wet and DMC are a 2-step system of wood restoration products to help enhance the woods ability to withstand the elements.

Many users of RS are pleased with its overall performance and the need for reapplication each year. It fills a need for the speed and ease of application...hence its slogan "goof proof".

Wood Tux Wet requires attention to the application and assurance of eveness and proper back brushing or padding in order to acheive the best results for both look and duration. When you get all spiffeyed up to go out, you would usually take more time to get that look you want in order to appear dressed up...hence the slogan "dress up your wood".

Now taking these 2 into perspective, price wise each is in its own level and can be used to fill the consumers budget needs. RS costs less and is easy to apply so therefore is capable of filling the requirement of a lower bid.

WTW costs more and takes more effort to apply which gives a longer duration for the price which fills the need for those who dont want to have the service performed as often.

Each has its market and depending on the type of service a contractor wishes to offer, each could fill a need specific to their clientele and/or demographics as needed.

Adding the WT-DMC takes wood restoration to another level of service that can equal better dollar per ticket and overall results in addition to the prestige of being able to truly offer a restoration package that will actually enhance the wood while significantly slowing the aging process it goes through exposed to the elements 24/7.

As another person mentioned in the thread, there is room for both products in their lineup and I think this is a good thing because overall, Many contractors offer more than one product in order to fit the needs of both the customer and the species of wood they are maintaining.

I think we are all growing here and I hope it doesnt stop. This is cool. :cool:

Rod~

Hey Rod, that was stated very well!

I remember the ABR products.. ABR X100 is what it was called and it was very similiar to Ready Seal except, the smell was 100 times worse! The wood restoring agent they made x180 was very similiar to the Wood Tux's efc-38. The ABR line seems to have lost it's edge when it reformulated with out telling the contractors, and it started to turn Cedar Decks Black! Thankfully that didn't happen to me but, needless to say I don't use that product anymore and I've switched those clients over to Ready Seal.

It seems like the products are getting better each year and I look forward to seeing what the industries like in another 15 years!

WOW !! so much to go over...!

Russell,

Thank you for your honesty about your product. I am especially impressed that you are recognizing the salesman angle and admit to dressing up your words to glorify the product it the best possible light.. (Something ALL good salesmen do)

Also I must restate a fact that I brought up earlier.. I HAVE used WTW and HAVE been pleased with the results. I will try the latest formulation as soon as I get a sample either from you or my distributor.

The point of my getting involved within this was not to cast negativity on your product, but to engage a well thought out, insightful, and honest conversation on exactly what WTW does, why, and also how. So far, we have been able to do mostly that, but have had to wade through some of the alternative definitions to get there. Be that as it may.. I like your stuff, it's not my number one choice at this moment in time, but that does not mean I am closed minded enough to prevent me from learning all I can about alternative products and methods.

Again, my thanks.

So.. weeding out the sales fluff, we find that WTW is an alkyd that is designed to form a ever so slight film at the surface in order to lock in the good and keep out the bad. Washing with a mild stripper is suggested for maintenance so that one can remove the film, but retain the tint. Apply a new coat and off you go!

FANTASTIC!! By all accounts it sounds like a great product and imagine that..after only 5 pages..

We also learn that RS is a deep penetrating oil that when over applied, underapplied, or improperly prepared either stays tacky, fades, or fails prematurely. Not unlike any other stain in the free world...Even WTW.

I could go on with a rather lengthy reply to address some of the other issues and rather disparaging remarks toward RS, we who use it, and those who serve to educate others, but get the overwhelming feeling that the myrmidons are boxed so tightly that it would amount to a grand waste of my otherwise valuable time.

Cujo,

The Myrmidons stand down.

This is kinda funny though. Fear not the opinions of others as we all have one.

My philosophy is to respect each as a unique opportunity to look into the person who possesses it and better understand them.

I respect the reluctance though, loyalties can get a little overbearing and forget to relate they are one and the same but in relation a different drum.

Yours is respected here as well.

Peace

Rod~

X-180 was the neutralizer (oxylic based).

EFC-38 is not an acid. They are nowhere near the same thing.

Beth

Hmm I thought x-180 was the stripper but, YOUR RIGHT! You must have one of those photographic memories or something!

There are so many products out there that they all tend to get jumbled together in my mind, expecially when I haven't used them in about 5 years.

The stripper was called fast finish remover (It didn't seem that fast to me!), and x180 was the neutralizer & Cleaner they suggested and sold.

Regardless of that, the sealers stink (literally) Some guys may love their products and I admit they did work well but I just could not get over the stench of the stuff. My clients couldn't either!

Either way, I wouldn't go back to using it anyway since they don't have a great record with keeping their contractors up to date on formulae changes that effect the outcome of the job.

That is one good thing about Ready Seal and Wood Tux though, both of them are excellent about keeping contractors updated on what the are doing. They both welcome and encourage contractor feedback and reccomendations on their products.

Henry,

We used to use ABR products also, and I have to say the stench of the sealer was enough to make me want to not let Rod into the house. YUCK! We had a customer once who was thrilled we were there to seal the deck, but neglected to tell us they were having a party that evening. The husband was glad to get it finished in time, but the wife, well, she was not as she was the one with visions of an outdoor party ( a vision we wish she had shared!).

Don't sweat not remembering exactly which is what. I just want to make sure the readers here are not misinformed. No big deal. We used to use the X-180 for brightening decks many, many, many moons ago. I think we have an empty pail now which is being used to store various things on a shelf. You have to love plastic containers as storage bins.

Have a great day.

Beth :groovy3:

Don't want to sound like I'm jumping on anybody, just want to make sure if someone is new to using RS, that they don't get the wrong idea. Part of the problem below with fading could be that Ready seal is not intended to be a one coat product. I find that 90% of the time I've had a problem with a product, I could have read the can and avoided it.

I sympathize with the tracking issue, I've been really warning people about it, and giving them a towel to wipe the feet on, but so far, no actual cases of this happening.

Finally, I'm amazed that you offer a two year guarantee on deck surfaces. Just out of curiosity, have you found a product that will do this to the point you will guarantee, yet? Also, does anyone else offer this length of warranty on decks?

To be fair to Ready Seal, the experience with the tracking problem could have been my fault. It was done after the first customer complained about fading so I put much more down on this lady's deck. The other eight decks I did with Ready Seal initially had no complaints and I did maintenance on all of them this past spring. Unfortunately, all were very faded, and in keeping with my two year gurantee, I stripped and applied an alternate product at a reduced rate. Knee jerk reaction on my part...Like Jon said, different contractor, different results. It just doesn't meet my needs. Cost of sealer is irrelevant to me, I pass it on to the customer. I need a product with one coat coverage and durability. Customers already know that using any quality retail product is going to cost them $30-$50 per gallon if they were to buy it themselves.

Wow, long read here. I'm actually getting kind of excited about a two step oil process that moisturizes the wood, then helps seal at the surface. (Still can't get myself to ever use the dreaded film word with an oil. Visions of peeling Sikkens dance in my head....)

Don't want to sound like I'm jumping on anybody, just want to make sure if someone is new to using RS, that they don't get the wrong idea. Part of the problem below with fading could be that Ready seal is not intended to be a one coat product. I find that 90% of the time I've had a problem with a product, I could have read the can and avoided it.

I sympathize with the tracking issue, I've been really warning people about it, and giving them a towel to wipe the feet on, but so far, no actual cases of this happening.

Finally, I'm amazed that you offer a two year guarantee on deck surfaces. Just out of curiosity, have you found a product that will do this to the point you will guarantee, yet? Also, does anyone else offer this length of warranty on decks?

Littlefield, there is no problem in questioning. Let me give you a background where I'm coming from. I read cans thoroughly. I call manufacturers. I talk to contractors around the country before I jump into anything. I have heard incredible hype about Ready Seal and I wasn't impressed. I have cleaned and sealed about 250 decks the past couple of years and have gotten to know just about every product retail has to offer. I am a perfectionist on my prep. The right products, the right dilutions, pH tested, moisture content tested, all previous sealer/dirt/mold gone. I don't know what happened with the customer tracking but when I walk through an oil spill on a driveway I usually leave boot prints.

My warranty is based upon workmanship and life of sealer based upon speaking to manufacturer's reps. In my warranty explaination I have disclusions about fading now. Like I said, stripping the Ready Seal was a knee jerk reaction. I could have resealed but every single one of those customers commented on how faded the product looked. I never said I didn't put down two coats of it. I did. They were light coats. The "tracking" deck got two very heavy coats but there was no standing sealer on the deck. I just didn't have the goof proof experience everyone raves about. It's easy to apply I'll give you. In my experience, easy and best are not often synonymous.

I find this subject bizarr- Sorry Im having major computor proplems and I'm out of touch. First I told Russel what I used Wood Tux for and that was to SEAL IN READY SEAL IN CERTAIN APPLACATIONS -Last year or the year before ?. It's funny that He's come out with a two step method? Any oil can be sealed in with a filmer. Been doing it for years !!! I still use ABR a great product and I'm one of their certifide applicators. Some of my best decks our with ABR.

I've been Sealing in Ready Seal for Years with filmers as a base so I find much of this a joke. Or that nobody lissens. Russel isn't Briliant as Beth said. I find that Wood Tux has had a lot of problems. And now has a info -mercial going with out credibility.

And now the people who try to dis- credit products like RS want to use a similar oil but seal it in and call it " Brilliant. "

I guess I'm Brilliant- Been doing it for year- !!!!!!!

James,

I heard Russ speak about it the same year he introduced Wood Tux, which was more than a year ago - Wood Tux is 3 now I believe. (It was more than two years ago at this point) I have also heard other folks speak about this, you are one, and there are others. I don't know who honestly should get credit for this idea, but truth be told it's probably not someone who even visits online. But to me, it's interesting that even with the buzz of people talking about it, what other company has formulated a two step product system for sealing wood?

Beth

RS users are so very touchy.

I am not one to discredit it but I have spoke about my experiences with it and from a professionals point of view who is concerned with the long term prospects of a sealer that my clients want for their outdoor structures. If that is to be considered discrediting than consider that I have talked with pierce and others who have told me how to use it beyond the labeled directions and I have still been disappointed in its performance in too many cases in addition to those who I mentioned before that it will last up to five years. Codswallop!

For these reasons I choose WTW because of the reliable results that we have seen and the predictability in the finish. A one coat system is what it is generally discribed for and the addition of a moisturizing step for older more weather wood is a step towards a comprehensively responsible program for helping to make wood last longer which is what our company is primarily about-slowing the deforestation by maintaining the existing wood structures.

Regardless of who's idea it may have been, it is obvious that we are on the right track.

I think ultimately the benefactor is going to be our customers.

Rod~