Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Woohoo! Love the way this sprays!

Question

We did two side by side decks today. We sealed them with the new thinner release of the Wood Tux Warm Honey Gold. We can report that the new Wood Tux is quite sprayable, and easy to apply. Excellent coverage as well! A neighbor came by while we were working and had to get a card, so she could get her deck done too!

Beth

p.s. attached are before, during and after photos. Rod is spraying in one of the shots...

post-1-137772146506_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772146509_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772146512_thumb.jpg

123 answers to this question

If you want to back up further - Wolman's I believe came up with the first 2-step application multiple years ago, which fared badly. Flood then purchased the notion and re-worked it into a two product system - oil going down first then an acrylic on top. I got thumped two years ago when we talked about that product. This is NOT the issue or point of this thread I don't believe.

Celeste

James-

I hate to break the news to you, but I don't think when it comes to this system either of us are brilliant. Furniture finishers have been doing this exact thing since before any of us were around!

I also want to make it very clear that I have tried a number of times to point out there is no reason for anyone to compare the Wood-Tux line with Ready Seal. The two products are not intended to be used in the same way. The results are entirely different and if you've built your business around Ready Seal you would have to re organize to transition to Wood-Tux use.

Ready Seal is a very popular finish because it has qualities that appeal to a wide range of contractors. It is an excellent product that consistently performs to the manufacturers specifications. There is no doubt that a Wood Restoration Contractor could build a successful business using Ready Seal.

Our intention is not to "capture" the attention of Ready Seal users. More often than not the Wood-Tux system would not be a good fit for a Ready Seal user. My best advise to anyone who is reading this thread would be to find what works well for your company and stick with it.

Best of Luck!

Our intention is not to "capture" the attention of Ready Seal users. More often than not the Wood-Tux system would not be a good fit for a Ready Seal user. My best advise to anyone who is reading this thread would be to find what works well for your company and stick with it.

Thats exactly what I do which is why I stick with Benjamin Moore and Cabots.

I have tech problems at the moment- I know I'm the only one on the boards that does what I do hand's down- Nobody does two stepping but me- so ************ - I told Ruselll what I was doing with WT with RS pretty vividlely- boy was he interested ! my mistaake by sharing my expertise.

I have tech problems at the moment- I know I'm the only one on the boards that does what I do hand's down- Nobody does two stepping but me- so ********* - I told Ruselll what I was doing with WT with RS pretty vividlely- boy was he interested ! my mistaake by sharing my expertise.

Yes James, I do believe we are all aware that you are in a class all by yourself. Please refrain from insulting folks, especially when most of the folks in this thread are away for the weekend.

Same sentiments here. I am awaiting a pail from ES after seeing your results, Nice job, guys! Wood Tux is so far ahead of everything out there in terms of contractor profits and quality of raw materials. The spraying factor was the thing I was waiting for. I'll post more results as I get them.

Ken, have you had a chance to play with the wtw yet? if so, can you report your findings?..... :)

Jim,

Others can also have ideas too.

At least the others are doing something to further the contractors ability to provide a better service for their customers.

We would appreciate efforts to be helpful and contribute here unlike in your latest posts whereas the negativities and insinuations are not acceptable topics for this bbs.

Please edit your post.

Rod~

I have tech problems at the moment- I know I'm the only one on the boards that does what I do hand's down- Nobody does two stepping but me- so your full of crap- I told Ruselll what I was doing with WT with RS pretty vividlely- boy was he interested ! my mistaake by sharing my expertise.

Jim,

I heard this from Russ, about the same time he first released Wood Tux. As I said this was about 3 years back. Since then I have heard it from others... you, and Everett to name two more off of the top of my head. I had one person tell me they knew several people who do it. I know you are not the only one doing it.

As for you not sharing your expertise, well how does anyone know it's your idea if you don't talk about it. If you don't share your knowledge how can it benefit others and help them grow?

Beth

Jim,

Others can also have ideas too.

At least the others are doing something to further the contractors ability to provide a better service for their customers.

We would appreciate efforts to be helpful and contribute here unlike in your latest posts whereas the negativities and insinuations are not acceptable topics for this bbs.

Please edit your post.

Rod~

others can have ideas also... The beauty of this country is that it is acceptable to disagree with one another.

It is easy to get caught up in the moment and post personal feelings and personal attacks... It is best that one apologizes to the person it

is directed at and edit thier post as opposed to having it pulled.

Sorry, Pressure Pro, I stand corrected. I misunderstood the below post. So have you tried the WTW and DMC? What do you think, as one who has tried lots of different stains?

While I found Ready Seal to be child's play to apply, I found it's one coat coverage to be less than adequate. I did maybe ten decks with it and got two call backs. That ratio was enough to make me run. One call was, it's been three weeks and my deck is very faded.

Hey Rich,

We had a similar expereince to you regarding RS. However, think about the parafinics (sic?) in general as moisturizers. We like them for that property. We have been Wood Tux users for three years now and our clients LOVE it. Adding a moisturizer in some cases before the WT on top will benefit the wood and add to longevity. Wood Tux does last well - real well.

Beth

Hey Rich,

When you had those call backs on Ready Seal, were the decks dry enough when you sealed them? I've heard that if they aren't dry enough this can happen. Ready Seal and similiar sealers should be applied until the wood won't take in anymore product. Using just a light surface coat will often cause problems like this also. It's the same for products like ABR, you want to fill the woods open fibers.

I have tech problems at the moment- I know I'm the only one on the boards that does what I do hand's down- Nobody does two stepping but me- so ************ - I told Ruselll what I was doing with WT with RS pretty vividlely- boy was he interested ! my mistaake by sharing my expertise.

Jim-

I do not appreciate the way you've handled yourself in regard to your posts in this thread. As a grown man and a business owner you should know that no good can come of behavior like that. I will not stand and be personally attacked.

I have asked Beth to edit your post. I also left you a voice message on your business phone line yesterday when I returned to town and read your post. I left another message today after not having heard back from you. I am still waiting for that call.

It seems that you somehow feel exploited. I am very interested in what all of our customer/contractors have to report. I want you to know we talk to contractors everyday who share their thoughts and ideas. Most wish to improve and elevate the industry for the good of all.

Our job here at Extreme Solutions, Inc. and my job specifically is to carefully evaluate the information and feedback we get from our customers and contractors in general. It is through this process that we are able to develop and improve the products that we bring to the industry.

Further, you are not the only one on this board that conditions wood prior to sealing it. You were also not the first contractor I talked with in detail about it. Please keep in mind that not everyone who uses this board post in the threads. The whole idea of this community is to share information. I think that certain people do in fact deserve recognition for their contributions. Most often you will find that they get that recognition.

I guess what you are really saying is that, if in fact, anything you said aided in the development of Wood-Tux DMC you strongly regret your contribution to the industry. For that I am truly sorry.

Hey Henry,

Sorry for the confusion. I was quoting someone else and edited the quote to highlight the area I was referring to. Further back in this thread, Pressure Pro said the comment about the one coat coverage being bad. Just clearing it up.

Hey Rich,

When you had those call backs on Ready Seal, were the decks dry enough when you sealed them? I've heard that if they aren't dry enough this can happen. Ready Seal and similiar sealers should be applied until the wood won't take in anymore product. Using just a light surface coat will often cause problems like this also. It's the same for products like ABR, you want to fill the woods open fibers.

Beth, I'm following you with the moisturizer vs. protecting coat. Getting samples going as soon as possible.

You know the water based film forming log home products have gone in this direction with pigmented and clear coats, because different products excel at different things. Instead of trying to put all characteristics in one product, we're talking about a system...

Maybe we're getting some real progress is stain system formulation here.

Hey Rich,

We had a similar expereince to you regarding RS. However, think about the parafinics (sic?) in general as moisturizers. We like them for that property. We have been Wood Tux users for three years now and our clients LOVE it. Adding a moisturizer in some cases before the WT on top will benefit the wood and add to longevity. Wood Tux does last well - real well.

Beth

Boy lots of good info here!

I'm a painter, mostly interior with minor exterior. I take pride in my work and offer top quality workmanship to my customers.

It has been a few years since I have done a deck and plan on offering deck refinishing/restoration in 2006. In the past I have used Cabots, which was and may still be, a very reliable product. No problems with it lasting 2+ years. I am always on the lookout for newer, and hopefully, better products and methods.

I am very interested in the wood tux line and would like to try it out. Is it possible to get samples to try or just buy a gallon instead of 5 gallons? Do you have brochures of your product line that I can show customers?

I was talking to a customer of mine that wants to have her deck redone. She was telling me that she has a problem with bees or some other insect. She stated to me that the bees are eating or stripping off layers of wood. I did not observe this myself.

She was told that to stop this from happening the wood needs to be completely sealed. Right now the deck is stained. Would WTW help with this problem? She was thinking of having the deck painted, even though she knows that the paint would crack and peel and need to be redone every year.

Doug

JEA,

If it is carpenter bees, they will have drilled a perfect 1/2" hole in several places. That is the only infestation I've ever seen on decks, though there could be more I suppose. Staining/sealing won't stop them, and nothing is effective at killing them long-term. They don't, however, enjoy chewing through paint. So if this is a problem for this lady, I'd go with a solid stain. They hold up remarkably well, just redo the floor every two years and you are good.

JEA,

If it is carpenter bees, they will have drilled a perfect 1/2" hole in several places. That is the only infestation I've ever seen on decks, though there could be more I suppose. Staining/sealing won't stop them, and nothing is effective at killing them long-term. They don't, however, enjoy chewing through paint. So if this is a problem for this lady, I'd go with a solid stain. They hold up remarkably well, just redo the floor every two years and you are good.

It isn't carpenter bees. They look more like a wasp. Like I said I did not witness this myself.

JEA

Yes, we've got brochures that you can show your customer. They describe the wood restoration process and why it is important to have a professional perform the work. You can view a sample of this brochure at:

http://www.esproducts.net/Wood-Tux_Brochure.htm

Does the mark left by this insect look like the wood is actually peeled or does it look like a grove cut into the wood? We've got a critter here that leaves like smooth walled trenches in the wood.

I would be really hesitant to say if Wood-Tux would do anything to help in this situation. At best it will help block the smell that attracts them and make it a bit less tasty.

JEA

Yes, we've got brochures that you can show your customer. They describe the wood restoration process and why it is important to have a professional perform the work. You can view a sample of this brochure at:

http://www.esproducts.net/Wood-Tux_Brochure.htm

Does the mark left by this insect look like the wood is actually peeled or does it look like a grove cut into the wood? We've got a critter here that leaves like smooth walled trenches in the wood.

I would be really hesitant to say if Wood-Tux would do anything to help in this situation. At best it will help block the smell that attracts them and make it a bit less tasty.

Russell,

How can I get some of your brochures? Does SunBrite have them?

Thanks,

Mike