Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

house pictures

Question

28 answers to this question

Adrian, Great job on the siding. You do not do gutters by the look of this picture, Not to bad mouth your results, but I do pay attention to detail.

I think cleaning the gutters would have made a good job a Great job. Not hard to do and is a good upsell. I think cleaning a house without brighten the gutters, is like washing a car and not armour all the wheels.

Use a 24Ft extension pole with a truck brush and 50/50 purple power or citra-clean by Steve Rowlett do 10ft section at a time. Brush and rinse.

A good way to add $50-75 to a job.

Just my .01

Nice job on the siding, but I agree with Degrafreed about the gutters.I never do a job without doing the gutters.When I bid on a house wash the gutters are included in the bid without even saying.You want others to look at how nice a job you did,........not overlook the good work to point out the bad or the spots you didn't do.Adrian, don't take this personal or as a whack at your work,....just providing a little insight.

He did not want the gutters or the roof, or deck or drive cleaned. Believe me, I offered and gave him a quote to do them while I was there onsite. But the main thing is that he was very pleased. I have recieved alot of advice on gutters. I like gutter zap as well to clean. Purple power is great as well. Have not tried citri clean though.

I have all the gear for gutters extension pole, truck brush, and the gutter hook attachment for my wand (that thing makes the biggest mess). I also sometimes will use a rotary brush that I use for my auto accts. It has a quick connect and is made of some pretty firm horse hair.

He just simply didn't want any additional services other than the house wash.

His exact words were..... thanks goodness I don't have to paint it.

I agree that upsells are very important, and I upsell almost every job, even if it is just washing lawn furniture or staues and planters.

No offense taken on suggestions. Just want everyone to understand that I'm on the same page with you. The homeowner just wanted to hang onto his lunch money.

I use gutter shock on gutters. That is from Steve it works like a champ brush on spray off, or for 2 story x-jet on rinse off. Really waste alot when x-jetting it though, so I try and brush when I can, It REALLY goes a long way when u brush it on.

Very nice, Adrian. Are you a one-man outfit? Portable unit or trailer rig? I'm still having draw issues with my M5. UGH. I've tried the 9 and 13 orifices and continue to get a lot of air in the chem line. I just need to make time to call xterior. It is a great tool, though, for housewashing. With the xjet I average 3.5hrs on a house about the size of the one in your picture. I'm happy with 3.5hrs.

I frequently get asked to do the gutters and not the house. This is usually asked early in the visit, however usually agree to a whole house wash after a few minutes walking around and selling my service. I don't do just gutters and don't know if any others here would/do. I've got some citracleen but have never tried it on gutters. I can get PP and a butyl here...the freight charges on citracleen add up to get it here from TN.

I find it just amazing how nasty folks will let their house get. As hard as we try, we sometimes cannot change consumer behavior. You may see it too, but I'm finding that up until their first professional wash, homeowners just get used to seeing the webs and funk. Until it's actively brought to their attention with a well-timed call or neighbor referral, they won't choose to clean. I'm not considiering any retail advertising, so all my business is WOM, repeat, signage during a job, or door2door.

cheers,

/neil

In my estimates gutters are included in every bid.To me it just goes without saying because gutters are part of the exterior of a house,not separate like a roof or a deck.I know there are other guys and gals who separate the gutters from the rest of the house when pricing but I couldn't even imagine doing that.It's easier to just include in your total house wash bid and make a nice job out of it altogether.In fact if I was a customer I would expect the gutters to be included in the exterior house wash.We're all different though and take a different approach on things.

In my estimates gutters are included in every bid.To me it just goes without saying because gutters are part of the exterior of a house,not separate like a roof or a deck.I know there are other guys and gals who separate the gutters from the rest of the house when pricing but I couldn't even imagine doing that.It's easier to just include in your total house wash bid and make a nice job out of it altogether.In fact if I was a customer I would expect the gutters to be included in the exterior house wash.We're all different though and take a different approach on things.

I agree here. I always include the gutters, and I don't give an option, I just do it. In my opinion, it makes the whole house look like crap if the gutters are left streaked and ugly, and I don't want any prospective customers in the neigborhood to see it and think that's what kind of work I do. I don't know of any other company in my area that cleans the black off of gutters which gives me a bit more quality seperation. I like that.

In my estimates gutters are included in every bid.To me it just goes without saying because gutters are part of the exterior of a house,not separate like a roof or a deck.

A roof isn't part of the house? Following the mentality of including gutters, why not include the roof? Wait, there is a walkway that leads to the house and if that's dirty, guess what? The whole job looks like ****, you better clean that too. Oh no, that driveway..where does it end? A dirty roof will detract just as fast from a good housewash as wil dirty gutters.

My housewash mix has butyl in it. The gutters come up about 65%. If they want them to shine, they pay extra. I'm not knocking anyone's way of making a profit. Think of it this way, the company in the next town doesn't do gutters at all.. he prices $50 below you. Bang he gets the job and then you come on here and complain about lowballers. (not directed at anyone whom posted just generalizing).

Just because something has been done the same way for a long time doesn't make it right. Trust me, my drive off the tee always ends up as a slice, so I understand..With inflation, gas prices and general finance on everyone's mind, you have to figure out ways to cut expenses and stay profitable. I'm with Adrian on this one. If he is happy and homeowner is happy with his value, mission accomplished.

A roof isn't part of the house? Following the mentality of including gutters, why not include the roof? Wait, there is a walkway that leads to the house and if that's dirty, guess what? The whole job looks like ****, you better clean that too. Oh no, that driveway..where does it end? A dirty roof will detract just as fast from a good housewash as wil dirty gutters.

My housewash mix has butyl in it. The gutters come up about 65%. If they want them to shine, they pay extra. I'm not knocking anyone's way of making a profit. Think of it this way, the company in the next town doesn't do gutters at all.. he prices $50 below you. Bang he gets the job and then you come on here and complain about lowballers. (not directed at anyone whom posted just generalizing).

Just because something has been done the same way for a long time doesn't make it right. Trust me, my drive off the tee always ends up as a slice, so I understand..With inflation, gas prices and general finance on everyone's mind, you have to figure out ways to cut expenses and stay profitable. I'm with Adrian on this one. If he is happy and homeowner is happy with his value, mission accomplished.

In my opinion, and the way that I break my house washing down is: The "house wash" is everything from the flashing/drip edge down which includes gutters. Yes, a dirty roof does detract from a clean "house wash", but there is a big difference between spending an extra 15 minutes on a job making the gutters shine vs. 2 to 4 hours cleaning a roof. The price tag is to high, therefore it must be listed seperatly. Same goes for Concrete, wood etc. I can throw my cost for cleaning the gutters in without making a huge difference in the price (almost unnoticeable). The customer might not realize what a difference streaked, ugly gutters can make being off set by a clean exterior. Basicly, your including somthing in your house wash (and granted, the price is a little higher) that makes your work look better, and the customer is none the wiser to the small amount extra that they are paying for it.

In my opinion, and the way that I break my house washing down is: The "house wash" is everything from the flashing/drip edge down which includes gutters. Yes, a dirty roof does detract from a clean "house wash", but there is a big difference between spending an extra 15 minutes on a job making the gutters shine vs. 2 to 4 hours cleaning a roof. The price tag is to high, therefore it must be listed seperatly. Same goes for Concrete, wood etc. I can throw my cost for cleaning the gutters in without making a huge difference in the price (almost unnoticeable). The customer might not realize what a difference streaked, ugly gutters can make being off set by a clean exterior. Basicly, your including somthing in your house wash (and granted, the price is a little higher) that makes your work look better, and the customer is none the wiser to the small amount extra that they are paying for it.

I'm with you there!!!! You got to make it look good whether the customer is satified with a 1/2 job because other people are looking, and they drive past and say, man they should have done there gutters too, that is a -A.

Pressure Pros,...A house wash is sides of the house not the roof or surroundings.Not only that but others driving by may not know the gutters were not included in the price,they might think that you were unable to clean them and may just deter future customers.Still couldn't imagine doing a house without doing the gutters.I'm more concerned as to whether I'm happy at the end of a job as opposed to the customer.Because I know if I'm happy with the results the customer is happy also,.....because I'm picky.

I'm happy at the end of a job as opposed to the customer.Because I know if I'm happy with the results the customer is happy also,.....because I'm picky.

Jeff, I am the same way. I have cleaned walkways and deck furniture because I didn't want it to detract from the work I performed. My point is, where does it end?

While making the world a cleaner place can have it's share of altruism, I am a businessman doing this for profit. Perfectionism (ie performing extra work you aren't paid for) can cost you a good deal of money. Countless times my guys have point blank asked me why I was cleaning this or that.. it's a weakness in me. I want the customer to be not only happy, but thrilled. I have learned now that if that result is to be achieved you have to have foresight when you are selling the service. Think ahead to anything that can detract from the cleaning and ask the customer for the sale then before you spend an extra 30 minutes here, 20 minutes there.

If you have the right housewash mix, your gutters will look pretty good. In my opinion, pulling out an extension wand, and either stopping to brush or having your guy do it constitutes additional labor. Then there is the factor of expensive specialty chemical. If you build all of this into your housewash price, great. But to me, pricing yourself above competition for the sake of including hidden charges is too risky.

Let me ask you this.. A customer has a 20x20 concrete pad. In the middle of cleaning, he interrupts you and asks you to get the mold off for him. Do you break out concrete cleaner and a surface cleaner at no adittional charge? I could have my guy's have the cleaner out, the chemical on, and when I finished rinsing I could attach the surface cleaner all in under 20 minutes. Twenty minutes on a housewash can equal $40 in bill rate. In business you have to look at every margin, every minute.

Very nice, Adrian. Are you a one-man outfit? Portable unit or trailer rig? I'm still having draw issues with my M5. UGH. I've tried the 9 and 13 orifices and continue to get a lot of air in the chem line.

Check all your fittings and especially the plastic ball value (they go bad). If you are getting air in the chem line, you have a leak somewhere. The only other time I have seen air in the chem line is sucking fresh percarb mixed with hot water. It foams and creates air in the line.

I know there are other guys and gals who separate the gutters from the rest of the house when pricing but I couldn't even imagine doing that.

In fact if I was a customer I would expect the gutters to be included in the exterior house wash.We're all different though and take a different approach on things.

I expect it done also at my home, but I seperate it out on estimates. Gutters ~= 1/3 total price. Once I started seperating, I started to recapture sales that I was losing before to low ballers. I'm still in the premium wash market, but I've got a shot at customers who want top quality service but are willing to make concessions to get within their budget.

Also, all my estimates are al-la-carte. House, gutters, decking, driveway, walkways, pool skirts, etc. I let the home owner see all the elements, and decide what works for them.

One thing I do not do is gutters only (yep, I get requests for that) or one/two side washes. Even if it paid enough money, the surrounding areas look like crap after cleaning solution speckles them with clean spots.

but there is a big difference between spending an extra 15 minutes on a job making the gutters shine vs. 2 to 4 hours cleaning a roof

Yep. And for me, gutters is a 1-2 hour affair. Spray, brush, rinse. Spray, brush, rinse. Or, X-jet, rinse, re-rinse the side of the house (and windows/bushes).I may be wrong, but I believe my chemistry and techniques are good. I'm using a good butyl caustic (at 1:3) that's about twice as strong as purple power from the auto stores.

I know this thread has been done a dozen times before, but if anyone can advise me differently regarding gutters, please do so. For just 15min extra/house I'd raise my house only rates 10%, include gutters, and get 98% of my bids. Not to mention stomping my competition by including gutters at their no-gutter price point. Truth be told, 60-75% of them are telling customers the streaks cannot be cleaned.

Truth be told, 60-75% of them are telling customers the streaks cannot be cleaned.

I've heard that as well from more customers than I could ever count.

As for cleaning the gutters effeciently, I've said this before, but I think spraying on the chem is a wasted step, and you end up wasting much more chem.

The best procedure that I've found, is to fill a 5g bucket with maybe 1" of gutter cleaner at the bottom (depending on how much gutter there is to be cleaned), dip the brush head into the bucket just to coat the brush, brush the chem on (scrub lightly if needed) and then rinse it off.

Also, if you are cleaning the exterior, and then going back and cleaning the gutters, you're wasting extra time. The best way (in my opinion) apply your house wash to a managable section of the house, rinse the shrubs, windows or anything else of concern, brush your gutter cleaner on, then rinse everything from the top down. This procedure doesn't add hardly any extra time to a house wash. Of course my 15 minute estimated time was just that, an estimate, all depends on the size of the house and how much gutter there is, and how accesable the gutters are. Hope this helps.

Phillip -

The butyl available to me here locally sells for $6/gal from a chem supplier. It's labled as Big G and contains <7% 2-butoxyethanol and <11% sodium silicate. Head to head with PP both mixed 2:1 i'm favoring the butyl for it seems to not dry and rebond as fast as the PP. The PP cleans just slightly better. If it's a hot day or sunny aspect on the gutter, I'll add a bit more water or do less at a time. Gutters bite, but the hourly I net is good. No complain'in...still 'speriment'in:)

To your point above, just yesterday I knocked on a door of a 'house in need'. This was perfect. The wife had already booked the PW company she'd used the past three years for work to be done next week. I offered to leave an estimate as a favor to her to make sure they were in-line. They left to go to dinner and I walked around a bit. 2hrs later, she calls back says I'm 10% higher and gave me the job based on the detail in the estimate sheet(thanks for the pointers EVERYONE), listing of the ingredients in my wash mix, and that I brush all gutters. The other outfit doesn't brush gutters (read...perceived quality). She can tell in the 10-minutes spent with her that I do better work than the outfit she's used for 3 years. I quoted no different knowing she had the work already booked.