Sign in to follow this  
huntercook

Problem Areas

Question

16 answers to this question

deft hands will ultimately be your best bet, but until you develop a better manual technique you can use a painters shield (3 - 4' wide paddle) with an extension handle.

I am having problems on the edge of driveways where the driveway meets the grass. I can't seem to clean the very edge without blasting dirt and mud all over the place. Are there any tricks or tip for this?

Are you using a surface cleaner or a wand to do driveways? If you are using a wand, the're is really nothing you can do, but get better at avoiding the splatter. If you are using a surface cleaner, (prefferably a floater) the best way to handle the concrete to grass line is to slightly tilt the machine and run the edge right over the edge where the grass meets the driveway. I found this to be the best, least messiest, and most effecient way tho handle these kind of areas.

Hunter,

The offer is still open if you want to tag along sometime. Another way to handle it is to stand on the grass side and use a narrow tip (green or yellow) and edge the concrete with the blowback being directed toward the concrete and not having all the pressure and force blowing into the grass, mud, mulch, etc. You will get somewhat dirty/muddy no matter what you do, as I'm sure you already know. Call me sometime if you want to hook up. I have a restaurant drive-thru to do Sunday if you care to be there.

Like Don said, works the best for mr

I hate when you have the whole thing all rinsed off and then you see a little spot missed and you try to hit it and that darn mulch just flys all over the concrete and you have to rinse again. I hate mulch lol

I use a cut type pattern where I am using the fan perpendicular to the edge so that the impact spray follows the concrete. Also I am holding the wand perpendicular to the surface as well.

If you are using a surface cleaner and do not have any obstruction to the unit overlapping the concretes edge then I would use it, otherwise a wand is the best without any shield to take away your constant 2 handed control of the wand.

A soap tip helps with clean up of all the debris created by the wash process without blowing it onto other surfaces you do not intend.

Rod!~

I see guys that use to much pressure when doing the edge after the

surface cleaner and are using a 40degree tip. Mud , mulch and everything

else blowing everywhere. I have been reducing the pressure and only using

the amount needed to match the surface cleaner path and use a smaller

diameter such as 25degree pattern.The spray is easier to controll and less

pressure blows less dirt.

I quite often just use a roto nozzle and then rinse walkway with soap tip, but I hate when i overshot and the stuff mud mulch blows everywhere

when you get more time cutting in you will be able to cut the edge of drives like a pro.i to had that same problem .but now i have a system that i use with no splatter.although i dont do much flat work anymore.time and patience is good .try slowing down and turn back down on the pressure.cut your edges first then go with the surface cleaner

I hate when you have the whole thing all rinsed off and then you see a little spot missed and you try to hit it and that darn mulch just flys all over the concrete and you have to rinse again. I hate mulch lol

Another good reason to use a dual lance, so you can instantly dial down the pressure and reduce the back splash.

If the surface cleaner will not overlap to the edge I use either 15 tip and point away from any soft fluffy stuff and use a shorter wand for better control. I don't usually have many issues with blowing a lot of mulch , dirt away, although sometimes you just can not help it.

I will follow up with a broom if needed for mulch or a light fan to mist and dress up the area.

Are you using a surface cleaner or a wand to do driveways? If you are using a wand, the're is really nothing you can do, but get better at avoiding the splatter. If you are using a surface cleaner, (prefferably a floater) the best way to handle the concrete to grass line is to slightly tilt the machine and run the edge right over the edge where the grass meets the driveway. I found this to be the best, least messiest, and most effecient way tho handle these kind of areas.

Lance drove the nail right in with one swing of the hammer. I employ the same method and the only times that I cannot cut with a hover is when you're up against walls, garage doors or pavers standing on edge (around flower beds and such).