Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

next project

Question

People are actually starting to do wood care here in florida. Will wonders never cease. of course most of the owners are yankees. I guess they under stand the value of it.

just doing the ground and 2nd floor, 3rd floor on request for a large Pita charge.

10 answers to this question

Looks good Jon :cool:

If you have to clean and seal the 3rd floor you gonna have to cover the first 2 floors from the chems leaking down.

What did you seal them with?

We solved the chem leaking down from the thrid deck problem by running a sprinkler on the second deck...

Beth

p.s. some chems mixed strong enough will eat thru some plastic if the mil is not strong enough...

Beth,

So running the sprinkler diluted the stipper enough to prevent any lower level damage?

Thanks,

Mike

I thought this might happen. some of these decks( at least one so far) have a primer under the sealer. The sealer is coming off with F-18 and HD 80. but its a real bugger. This primer coat isnt budging. Any ideas?

Again, no idea what the sealer is or the primer.

Oh, by the way, no damage to any paint from the stripper. Covered the glass door with a tarp.

So running the sprinkler diluted the stipper enough to prevent any lower level damage?

You probably should not guarantee it... But I'm sure it will help. You could also spray a neutralizer on it to help keep the caustic from effecting it regardless of the concentration.

Beth

heres the final pics. Ended up using Deckscapes solid. Probably a better choice anyway since its 6in off the sand, in full sun, so it takes a hell of a beating. Never could figure out what was on there but it was water based. Paint stripper would take it off, but had over 1500sf that would have to be stripped by hand. The home owners are happy, it was profitable, although not as much as I hoped. The spiral staircaises were murder, both when stripping-as they were very soft wood, (red dedar maybe) -and had to be stained by hand, spraying or I would have had to spend double the time masking.