Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

what a day.......

Question

Some days it just seems like the moon is full and nothing can go right.

Here's one incident as an example...

Had a customer today who called our office and read the staff the riot act...several times! They were complaining about the fact that we were not there in the morning yet we arrived on site just around noon after contending with a deck strip that had 3 layers of paint and a primer coat that we were unaware of. This created an extended amount of time on the site and me and my crewman were so busy trying to get the job done that we were not aware of the time that had elapsed in the process.

Needless to say, when I got the call from the office about what happened to them, I was not happy. The client was never told they had to be home for the process and it is even described in out literature for those who are not home when we give the estimate.

To make a long story short...I called the customer and let them know we were on our way but I needed to discuss their conduct with our office personnel. I let them know that regardless of the problem they had, there was no cause to verbally abuse anyone including shouting into the phone and that before our relationship could continue it was to be understood that this type of conduct was not acceptable to us as it surely would not be tolerated by them if the opposite was the case.

It turns out that the person had some personal issues to deal with and it boiled over into the conversations. Overall, by the time I arrived on site, the person had already called the office and .... apologized to those they spoken out of line with and informed me upon my arrival of this as well.

I thanked them kindly for that gesture and asked them if they had any further questions or concerns I could address with them before we started the work...they posed their questions and the conversations took place in a courteous manner and all went well after that...but what a thing to have to deal with.

We have a policy that we will not tolerate any verbal abuse of any kind from our customers. We expect to receive the same courtesy as they do from us in any communication. This is business and we believe there is no reason for either party to conduct themselves with any less respect than they expect to receive.

Anyone else ever had to put the customer in their place for being out of line and throwing a temper tantrum on the phone?

Rod~

15 answers to this question

Yep, I've had them make racial comments about one of my guys. The funny thing is he was born here and only speaks english. Unfortuanetly there are still people out there that judge people by their looks instead of their knowledge. This guy has more training and experience as most contractors I know on power washing. I also will not under any circumstances let this happen, when it's a racial issue I simply won't work for them at all.

Mistakes on the other hand happen and sometimes time schedules get tossed and we deal with it. If a client is abusive or insulting I just don't deal with them at all. If we make a mistake we fix it but if someone just kicks up an attitude for no reason at all.. Were packing up and moving on. I've got too many clients that would love to jump ahead on our schedule to deal with that kind of stuff and in most cases, you just have a feeling that nothing will satisfy them. I'd rather work for clients that don't mind paying our fees and are estatic about our work.

I have one gentleman that I will not deal with. a few years ago I had given him an estimate to clean his house, driveway and he complained about my prices. I told him my prices are very fair and thats what I charge. Well he went on & on about being retired and doesnt have the money. He then asked me to give a price to clean his gutter. Well there was only one gutter around his entry way about 15 ft long. I was a sucker and felt bad so I told him give me $5.00 for that. Now I do a ton of houses on his street and he has seen me before, so we set up a date. I always tell a customer if there the 1st job of the day, that I'll be there between 7:30 & 8:30.

The day of the job my wife calls me as Im on the way to the job. This guy calls yelling at her saying that I'm suppose to be at his house now. It was 7:40 when he called. My wife knows how to handle people and she said she'd have me call. I called him and told him I'll be there soon. I get there and he starts with me. I told him, sir I told you Id be here 7:30; to 8:30 and it was now about 8:10. This fool starts saying I said 7:30. I told him he was wrong. because I ALWAYS say 7:30 - 8:30. He goes an & on. Finally I ask him does he want me to do the job or not. He said yes and he started agin about time and I better do a good job. That was it, I told him if he has a problem he can get another contractor. I also told him. the way he spoke to my wife/secratary was unexceptable and I dont like the way he's talking to me. I started to walk away to set up and he said something else. So I got in my truck to leave. He came to the truck and asked where I was going. I told him my next job. He just looked amazed at 1st then he said he's telling everybody that Im unreliable. I drove off

Well last year when I was cleaning 4 houses next to him, he came over and asked me to give him an estimate. I told him sir you had a problem with me a couple years ago and are you sure, you want me to clean your house. He said whats the price and we'll see. Well being the nice guy that I am (sucker for old people) I gave him the price and it was $10.00 more than a couple years ago. This fool says thats to much and he tells me what he wants to pay. I lost it and told him I wont do his cleaning and I dont like how he is talking to me and I just turned my back on him and left

Well guess who called me and asked to give him an estimate about a month ago YUP him. I told him sir You yelled at my wife a few years ago and a couple years ago you didnt like my price. He said he just kidding. I told him, I will never work for him and call who ever did his house the other years. He said he cant get ahold of them. I told him I wonder why and please dont call me again. He called a week ago and I didnt return his call and never will. Unreal!

Yesterday a guy called me about a price I had quoted him on washing his house.I told him $250.00 and he told me yesterday that another guy told him $170.00.I said "well maybe thats who you want to call then because I don't dicker on prices".But he said he still wanted me to do the job because I sounded more knowledgable.Had this happen a couple other times over 10 years and I sometimes don't think there is "another guy", I believe people just try to get you to come down in price by threatening you with another contracters price.

Were packing up and moving on. I've got too many clients that would love to jump ahead on our schedule to deal with that kind of stuff and in most cases, you just have a feeling that nothing will satisfy them. I'd rather work for clients that don't mind paying our fees and are estatic about our work.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Boy did you nail it!

Beth

Hey Jeff, does that guy live in Maryland by any chance? I've had a few guys like that before. I also run into a lot of people that ask for us to "fix that real quick while your here" We will usually do something small for free but some people try to take advantage of it and ask for more and more. Then I just start saying, "sure, I can give you a price on that" This usually stops the problem..lol

Another thing to remember.. when this guy tells everyone how expensive you are ect.. They probably know how difficult he is and aren't suprised by his comments since he probably says the same stuff about everyone!

If I run across a client I don't want to work for I give them my normal pricing (some guys raise the price really high) and when they call to book the job I just tell them that were scheduling about three months out. I don't kick up the price because I don't want them saying were being unfair and telling everyone they know. Also, they won't live there forever and I want a the job when they move! In this area, the average is 5-7 years before people move.

We were on our way BACK to a job - taken a lunch break to go check on the kids. Guy calls us demanding to know where we are and where we'd been (not that we didn't knock on the door before leaving to tell him we would be back). He continued on and on - those of you who know my husband know he has the customer patience of a saint (I'm the one with the short fuse :0) By the end of the phone call Roger was YELLING over this man and ended his sentence with one question - DO YOU WANT TO FINISH THIS YOURSELF!!!! That seemed to stop the guy in his tracks. We finished the job but will NOT be the company doing maintenance for him in the future. Can't stand people like that.

Celeste

What you guys and gals need to do is have a forum only members can get into and post all those people that are problem accounts.

That way no one with a good name will do any work for him since you would all be sharing the cheapstake/yeller/abuser with each other.

I know you might say it is called blackballing and illegal but I see it as working together to help each other avoid the bad customers.

I see nothing wrong with it, let the new guys tackle it and gain experience.

This past week has been nothing short of than "total failure". Too many things to type so I will save myself the headache ~ again!

I am so thankful that it is Friday!! One more week and I am off to Lake Tahoe for a few days :)

What you guys and gals need to do is have a forum only members can get into and post all those people that are problem accounts.

That way no one with a good name will do any work for him since you would all be sharing the cheapstake/yeller/abuser with each other.

I know you might say it is called blackballing and illegal but I see it as working together to help each other avoid the bad customers.

I see nothing wrong with it, let the new guys tackle it and gain experience.

I actually had someone solicit me last year to join an organization similar to the BBB, but for customers. It was for contractors to be able to go and check on their potential job prospects to see if they were nightmares or deadbeats. Wonder if it ever took off - hmmm, must look back at Ooold emails. It's a good concept really - I mean, if they can report companies to services, why shouldn't we be able to do the same thing. Maybe it would make clients think twice about being a PITA.

Celeste

Had a lady that Has a two story house with gutters hanging from weight of debris that was in them. Did a great job on the house cleaning (did I mention that I love my xjet?). The house is about 35 ft highest point. She asked if I would re-secure the gutter hanging from the end of the house. I replied that I cannot promise that it will be a permanent fix but I would try. Well, I only have a 24 ft ladder and could not reach from the ground, so I used the ladder to get up on her deck that was about 15ft high. then I pulled the ladder up onto the deck to get to the roof. I'm not good with heights first off. It was a real stretch to get to the nail in question that holds that section of the gutter. If you can picture having ladder fully extended already airborne from the deck 15 feet up and stretching out beyond the railing of the deck and trying to clean out the weight of debris and looking down at the length of the potentiel fall. I was a nervous wreck up there. Plus this was never mentioned until I got onsite.

Again, the house cleaning (which I was hired for) came out looking brand new. Vinyl sided, no big deal, pretty common. The gutter repair was fine afterwards for what it was worth but still needed a gutter pro to replace or repair. The lady refused to pay me, since I did not make her broken gutter look brand new. I explained that I am not a gutter repair service and that I only do power washing. She started speaking in tounges under her breath about my performance and said she would not recomend me to anyone. That's ok with me! In the initial conversation the gutter was never brought up. It was however brought up when I got onsite. She had her foot in my #2 the whole time I was trying to fix her gutter.( that's right .... make it more nerveracking while i'm up that high) Finally she agreed to my explanation that this was only a temporary fix and that I don't do this type of service work to begin with ( and never will again for that matter). I offered her a 20.00 discount off of total PW service I performed to pacify her.

The discount in reality was to get her from continuously barking at me.

I only took a 20.00 hit in the pocket just so I could run as far away from her as I could. I'm learning guys, from here on out...... no free service or favors or going outside the realm of my profession. I don't care how needy the situation is. Standing firm on this one. It just amazes me how this customer went from pleasant to werewolf in no time at all.

I actually mentioned something similiar to this at the last MD chapter meeting. I was going to post a list of clients that I wanted to "give away". I didn't go into details or negative comments I just said I could not work for them any longer. I think that's the best way to do this. Giving away clients, if we say anything negative about them at all we could have legal problems.

But, let's face it, they have the right to use or not use our services and we have the same right. To work for them or not work for them, it's our choice as long as we don't state why.

In reality, I see no legal ramifications about contractors reporting nightmare clients to a system. It would seem to me that, just as with the Fair Credit Reporting Act or BBB, one has the opportunity to rebuke a complaint or bad report with the Credit Bureau or BBB. If a client refuses to pay and all reasonable means have been taken to collect, they can be reported to the Credit Bureau - that's not considered libel or slander. If handled discreetly, ie: "Client's expectations were beyond the agreed upon scope of work" could be translated into "the jackass wanted me to fix his gutters although it wasn't in my original contract and withheld payment because I'm not a gutter fixer". I don't believe that one could report to an agency anonymously so false allegations or over exagerated situations would probably not be common. It sure would weed out the icky customers and let those who don't think they're icky get educated on their attitudes.

Celeste

"Client's expectations were beyond the agreed upon scope of work"

I like that. Very well stated. Personally I would not touch a giveaway list. It's enough that someone else had a bad expereince. History can repeat itself.

Beth

Hey Adrian, can you clean my house for me? While you're at it I need you to walk the dog and change the oil on my car. We all live and learn. Now I easily look the customer right in the eye and say no. No explaination other than, I'd be happy to give you aquote for any other work needed.

I was sealing a deck last month and when I'm done the lady not only witholds the check so her husband could check the job, she asks me to install a perimeter fence they bought to keep the dog off the fence. Huh? I don't think people do it to be mean or take advantage, some people just don't think.

If I had a contractor coming to do my deck, it would be clear of furniture and swept. I had one early summer where the people had a party the night before and all food, tables etc were on the deck. By the amount of tables and debris they had to have 100 people. I asked a very hung over looking homeowner if he prefferred to move all of the stuff off the deck while we setup and mixed chemicals or have us move it all for an extra $75.