Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Advice for first time Dad?

Question

38 answers to this question

Sleep as much as you humanly can now and then adapt to three hours per night. Clean some restaurant exhaust sytems so you dull your olfactory senses... That's it for now, if I think of any more later I will add to the list. Congrats Mike.

Have you noticed a sleep related recurring theme here?

The thing I noticed was changing diapers as much as you can when you're home will make Mom feel much better. Remember, she has to change all of them while you're back at work.

For the diaper bag:

1. diapers
  2. wipes
  3. diaper rash ointment
  4. onsies (you can never own too many) a "onesie" is basically an undershirt that snaps in the crotch.
  5. receiving blanket
  6. spare bottle unless breastfeeding

Make sure you have in the nursery:

1. baby monitor
  2. thermometer
  3. Vaseline
  4. children's Tylenol ( infant strength) next to the pediatricians telephone number
  5. diaper pail
  6. night light
  7. crib
  8. rocking chair or other chair

More later.....

Beth

Manage your time wisely, as it will go by lightning fast.

The first pediatrician our son saw once he was born told us to buy a stuffed animal, and take pictures bi-weekly/monthly/yearly, and chart how fast they grow.

Take Pictures, pictures, and more pictures.

Be patient with your spouse, and child... as all of you grow.

After you stock up on your sleep, you might want to strecth & exercise to prepare yourself for all the running around youll be doing.

Our son is 16mo. old and 35in. tall and eats like a horse.

Stock up on food, diapers, wipes.

For about the first year it took us 1.5hrs to get ready to go out anywhere. As time goes by you get quicker.

It is truly a blessing.

Have fun!

:lgangel:

Paul

Russ is right. If you do, they throw up on you.

Babies learn to roll over at 3 months. Never leave a baby unattended on a bed, sofa or anything else...look at it this way, they can't fall off the floor. Better to set a baby on the floor, than up high if you are not where the crib, high chair or other restrained seat is.

Learn to nap when the baby does.

Beth

My wife and I will be having our first child anyday now and I was wondering if anyone had some advice for a first time dad? Thanks!

:lgbugeyes

Do not underestimate the effect that sleeping in 2 hour shifts will have of your ability to focus, think, plan, etc. All nighters are no big deal, but sleep deprivation for months on end will affect you tremendously, and because of it's impact you may not even realize it is happening.

To be honest, I'm not entirely certain that driving on month 0-3 should be legal.

set a schedule for the baby and stick to it. this will get them in a routine and will make things easier for you. i.e. feed baby, bath, put to bed.

car seat for each car. let grandparents get their own.

epicac (spelling?) this is for baby if they drink something they should not, it will induce vomiting.

put all household cleaners out of reach, including medicines

pedialyte is good if they are sick and can't keep anything down

formula

pediasure

can't think of the name but the stuff that you give children if they are sick and throwing up to settle their stomach

gentle soap for baths and baby shampoo

baby lotion

don't freak out when unbilical cord dries up and looks nasty, which you will need something like neosporin for this. samething for the dingaling if you are having a boy.

if i think of more I will post. We have three children 11,6,4

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3341711/

Hey Jim Syrup of Ipecac is not recomended anymore.When I had my kids I bought some and talked to the pediatrician he said to contact the poison controll center.The artical above explains why.When I was a new father and a Paramedic (have been for 11 years)I was ready for anything lol.

Mike, CONGRADULATIONS....DADDY!!!!

Im sure you and yours, have a few books on the subject, they're pretty good.....some good stuff there....

sleep will def. be a premium, too bad you cant bank it now....

if you have a boy, when your changing him and hes on his back nude, make sure you cover him with a diaper or something, if you dont you'll be standing under a fountain.....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (it never fails)

one big thing to remember, it will be a bit scary at times and you might think you have no idea what the heck your doing, but the only thing you need to do is------LOVE him/her.. and everything else just kind of falls into place....!!!!

good luck and get the cigars. :)

Never Ever lay on your back and hold the baby over your face and shake him / her.

Now that's just too funny.

My wife and I will be having our first child anyday now and I was wondering if anyone had some advice for a first time dad? Thanks!

We adopted our son 5 weeks ago (born 9/13). It's been great!

One thing we've found that works as far as sleep is to switch off...I'll give my wife at least a couple nights/week (she's home for 12 weeks) where I keep him with me in the other room, so she can sleep the night.

The advice about keeping something over him if he's a boy when you're changing him is dead on...For as small at that thing is, it sure shoots a good ways! The other thing is to make sure he/she is done pooping before you change the diaper...If you hear/smell him/her taking care of business, give it a few minutes...it'll save a bit of clean up during the changing...He's pretty good at shooting that stuff a good ways too, especially when you have his rear end up in the air wiping him down. :lgbugeyes

Take LOTS of pics! I bet we've taken a few thousand in the last 5 weeks.

Oh, and I'm sure they'll tell you this, but THEY SLEEP ON THEIR BACK!!! That's a biggie...Sleeping on the stomach is a huge no-no.

Hey Mike CONGRATS on becoming a Daddy, you will enjoy watching him learn to crawl, stand up holding onto whatever, taking his first step etc.

My advice, keep a camera handy, more if you have then in each room and for heaven sakes don't face him when changing those diapers, Young Faithful might just BLOW at you!

Trust me I learned that the hard way.

One piece of advice I think is out now is if you are using old fashion diapers with pins watch where you stick it, OUCH OUCH.

All of the above is very good advice. The biggest thing is to enjoy them. When they grow up you will wonder when they were small and now all they want is the keys to the car. Because of lessons learned I spend all the time I can with my grandchildren. Kem

Okay - I have 3 girls and a boy - I will tell you that a girl can and will pee just as far or farther than a boy...just because there's no hose there doesn't mean there's no force, only less aiming capabilities :)

Play classical music! Very soothing to infants and you'll be amazed at how much it can calm your own nerves.

Learn CPR specifically for child/infant needs - pray you'll never need it but it is better to be prepared than to not know how.

Watch your language - you can say "mama" and "dada" 40 million times a day waiting to hear it. Say "sh*t" once and they get it immediately!

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! It flies by - mine are now 20, 17, 10, and 7. I miss babies, even though they still act like them at times.

If you have a girl, buy stock in femine products and toilet paper! Trust me, there's your college fund :)

Most importantly, even though your close family is your primary support circle for you, you've got extended family here! Your new family will always be in our prayers for health and happiness!

Congratulations and let us know when the little one arrives - we will expect photos!

Celeste

Watch your language - you can say "mama" and "dada" 40 million times a day waiting to hear it. Say "sh*t" once and they get it immediately!

Amen to that. There is something about your intonation when you use expletives that makes they *very* appealing to a youngster. We got ours a little play laptop so she could sit by daddy and play w/o killing my work. Imaging my surprise when out of the blue she stabbed her finger into the keyboard 2-3 times and shouted "Damnit"

Mike,

Two Things:

1) Life as you know it never, ever be the same again. Although there will be times you wonder and doubt it, life will be much, much better.

2) Having a baby is like riding a bicycle. Every once in a while you have a MAJOR blowout.

Congratulations to both of you,

Chuck

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes, the great advice and all the laughs and chuckles you sent our way! :) This is definately something we are looking forward to and I am going to be there and do my part for sure.

One question though, if its a girl... is it to early to put a shotgun on layaway?

Thanks again!

I'm really old fashioned when it come sto this sort of thing. So the first thing is to love the kids Mom. They will assume that if you love her, that you love them. If there is tension between the two of you, there will be a lot of tension in the house.

teh second thing is, be a parent, and not a best friend. Someone needs to guide and discipline the little angel, and it is your job. If you are too worried about them liking you, then you will not be able to be an adequate parent.

Scott Stone

Here's a tip for you...get acquainted with healthy foods that are easy to prepare. You won't be cooking 5 course meals... If your wife is breastfeeding, it is very important for her to eat well and drinks LOTS of healthy fluids. Not soda, coffee or tea, but juices, milk, and water. ( the good kind) Get used to cooking things you can keep in the fridge and eat as you need to, like a bowl of pasta salad for example. Your time and sleep will be precious. Make meals easy.

Now then...laundry detergent - get Dreft. It is hypoallergenic and you don't want to use a strong detergent on the baby's clothes or blankets.

Baby proofing - no need to do it when the baby can't motor around, but by the time he or she can, get plugs for the sockets, a baby gate for entrances or exits, and any safety latches you feel necessary for lower level cupboards.

Hope this helps....

Beth

Oh here's one - gross, but better prepared than not. Projectile vomiting. It is monumentally frightening to have your tiny little beauty introduce you to what seems to be gallons of milk spewing 5 feet across the room. When my first daughter did this to me, I thought she was possessed and that the next trick would be her head spinning around (which by the way happens at age 15)! This can be caused by changing formula types or when switching from breast milk to formula. Scary stuff !

Celeste

Oh here's one - gross, but better prepared than not. Projectile vomiting. It is monumentally frightening to have your tiny little beauty introduce you to what seems to be gallons of milk spewing 5 feet across the room. When my first daughter did this to me, I thought she was possessed and that the next trick would be her head spinning around (which by the way happens at age 15)! This can be caused by changing formula types or when switching from breast milk to formula. Scary stuff !

Celeste

Or it can be caused by drinking a sick pack of malt liquor too quickly. Oh wait, that's for the teenage years. Yeah you better start a payment plan for that Mossberg now (shotgun)