Sign in to follow this  
greaserca

Starting New Company

Question

Hi everyone,

First off i want to say that this is a great forum learned a lot already from what i read. I am starting a PW business in my area, i have done some research and there are not to many PW companys where i live about 4 only. What would be a good PW to start off with i will be doing houses and driveways only to start off, dont really want to spend more thatn $800.00 on PW. Do i really need insurance for this business, not sure on that one. I have pressure washed many things but never a house does anyone have any tips, a book that i can buy or any website that will give me some knowledge on PW a house and driveway.

28 answers to this question

Hi everyone,

First off i want to say that this is a great forum learned a lot already from what i read. I am starting a PW business in my area, i have done some research and there are not to many PW companys where i live about 4 only. What would be a good PW to start off with i will be doing houses and driveways only to start off, dont really want to spend more thatn $800.00 on PW. Do i really need insurance for this business, not sure on that one. I have pressure washed many things but never a house does anyone have any tips, a book that i can buy or any website that will give me some knowledge on PW a house and driveway.

Get a cup of coffee and start reading this forum. Dig deep and read old threads. There's more here than any 5 books you could buy, and the forum actually talks back.

While you may not think you nedd inusrance, you need to look at the big picture. What happens if somebody trips over one of your hoses? Maybe they have a good attorney and they can prove they are disabled for life? How much is that $1000 a year insurance worth at that time?

There are many more possibilties and scenarios where you would need inusrance. The main thing is to do it right from the beggining and set yourslef up as being a legitiamte business owner. Get the insurance even if it is not required in your state.

dont really want to spend more thatn $800.00 on PW. Do i really need insurance for this business, not sure on that one.

While you may be able to save money by buying a small cold water machine for 800.00 to get started (nothing wrong with that) the one thing you DONT want to do is work without insurance. It will cost you less then 500.00 a year for 300,000 in liability insurance which is far less then the amount it will cost you if you didnt have it and something bad happened.

There are several companies on this bbs that will disagree with me and say "I started with a machine that cost less than $800" but I'm going to be the "baddie" here and tell you up front - if you want to be in the business seriously and last until next year, you're not going to do it with $800 of equipment. Something will die of exhaustion - either your machine or you. There are accessories that are almost mandatory to allow you to compete as a successful pressure washer and if those are falling into your budget, there's not enough money there. Your insurance is absolutely a necessity....why risk everything you own or wish to own by not being insured? In this sue-happy society we live in, you can't be too prepared. Also, given the state you're doing business in, you need to be well informed on the EPA and know how to handle your waste water issues.

Use the search feature up top and start researching chemicals, equipment, etc... This is not an inexpensive business to get into and although it's not rocket science, there is chemistry, physics, mechanics, accounting, marketing and then good basic common sense.

I'm sorry if I've come off as the voice of doom or sort of bitchy but hopefully I've pointed out somethings that you really need to think about and address. This is a real profession, just like electricians or mechanics and requires commitment of more than just one day's pay to get going.

Celeste

We started with a used, refurbished, cold water unit. We kept putting money back in to the biz until we could afford better. It is important to set yourself up smart - hose reels, ladder rack, extension poles, x-jet, and surface cleaner. It is important because you will suffer the operator fatigue Celeste mentions. It is very important to be insured, and to set up your business properly. Talk to an accountant to determine the structure that is best for you.

Beth

I agree with Celeste and Beth. Most of us have triple your mentioned budget tied up in accessories alone. No offense but you need to look at what a half hearted setup would cost you:

Machine $800 (it's going to be a low gpm model, translated as SLOWWW)

It may come with 50' of hose, but that's not nearly enough for a housewash, add $130 for another hundred feet.

Opps no garden hose, if you don't use contractor hose you will regret it as it tangles. Add another $75 for 75 feet of that.

Now you need hose reels, add another $250.

X-Jet or hi flow downstreamer setup with SS quick couplers $120

How are you going to generate business? Add another $600 for a quickie marketing campaign including some flyers and business cards.

You say you're starting a company. You mean you are going to ride around and wash things though. Because a company needs to be registered, licensed, setup with the state and federal gov't accruing legal and accounting fees. Add another $1000 (probably a conservative number because I know operating in CA is tougher)

Insurance is a non sequitore. You can be like the rest of the fly by nighters we are trying to eliminate and go without it. If you're for real, add another $1200

Housewashes often require a 6 foot gun. You will want all quick couplers. You will need a few nozzle sizes, O-rings, various detergents, an extension wand and truck brush and a few more ods and ends like a respirator and saftey goggles and a 30 foot ladder. Add another $700.

You're at almost five thousand and trust me, there are a ton of other things like Shur Flo pumps, Surface Cleaners, etc. Wait you're in CA so you need a water reclaimation system! That's gonna cost more than your entire setup.

With all due respect, Greaser, maybe you just didn't realize what was involved, you aren't even in the ballpark if you start talking about operating without insurance. You may think I am a real jerk-off but I try to put guys with that mentality out of business every day. There might be a reason there aren't many guys operating around you. Check your local licensing requirements and when you truly understand what it costs to run a successful business everyone here will trip over themselves to help you out.

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah

Hey Why Not Try To Help Him Out Guys.

If I Were You I Would Look At Leasing Equipment, If You Are Really Interested In Getting In The Business. You Can Lease Equipment Starting At $1000. You Can Also Get Everything That You Need And Not Spend A Fortune. You Could Start With Bare Necessities And Probably Not Have Anymore Than $5000 In Your Equipment. Some Insurance Companies Will Let You Finance The Insurance Which You Could Handle Your Down Payment With A Portion Of The $800, Take Part Of The 800 And Get Biz License And Biz Cards A Few Chemicals, And Gas. I Think If You Are Creative With Financing You Could Start Something With $800. The First Job I Did Was With A Borrowed Machine And I Made $3000 On It(SPENT MY CASH ON INSURANCE AND CHEMS). I Put All Of That Money Right Back Into The Biz. I Am Sure That There Are Other Success Stories Where Others Have Started With Little Or No Money. I Wish You Luck And Recommend That You Read What You Can Off Of This Board, As You Will Learn From Others Mistakes.

Hey Why Not Try To Help Him Out Guys.

I believe that's exactly what ther're trying to do, as are you. I think the guy's prospective in what a good start up requires was a bit less than thought out. A wake up call was definitely in order.

I'd look around for some used equipment in a package deal, trailer, machines, most things you'll need. If you look around, there's plenty available, because a lot of guys get into the business, then find out they can't make a go of it, and sell off cheaply.

Greaser,

We are about 2 hours North from you. Things are starting to slow down a tad bit for us as it relates to the power washing and I would anticipate that I will have some free time next month.

If you care to make a trip up to the Bay Area, I will spend a day with you and help you along with a marketing plan and try to point you in the right direction as it relates to equipment.

Let me know your thoughts!

I really appreciate all the positive feedback on buying a pressure washer and about the insurance. I think I will spend the extra money and get a PW with 4 GPM and defiantly get the insurance. Pressure Pro you really need to lay off the coffee and relax. All i was asking is about the pressure washer, insurance and maybe some tips. I already new i was going to have to spend extra money on surface cleaner, chemicals, M-5, wands ext ext.... I have my business license in the works, I understand the laws in my area, I have thought this out so with all do respect Pressure Pro chill out a little and stick to the questions asked.

I'd take Newlook up on his offer, learn from the experienced. Leasing is a great idea. Steve Rowlett could get you everything you need 4 gpm machine xjet and all the other odds and ends and could put it on a lease program for short monthly payments.

Greaser,

The folks here are simply trying to help you. Please understand that we all respect your desire to become self employed. Keep asking questions...

Beth

p.s. I would contact Carlos about that day of training if I were you...

Greaser, I am one that happens to believe someone can start out with smaller equipment or used equipment as long as you know it takes you longer to get something clean. I started out part time with smaller equipment and so did 80% of the other companies out there and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Just remember to have insurance and try to use professional products, take your time and do it right, learn as much as you can from others and upgrade your equipment as soon as you can as it will pay itself back for sure in time.

One thing you'll have to understand is there is alot of guys out there that go out and do jobs with no insurance, they dont know concrete from wood and they charge 30% of what a professional company would charge and do nothing but damage property. Companies like this give the industry a bad name and thats where the passion of others who want to see you do better comes from.

I know you want to do it the right way and this is the place to come to if you do want to do it the right way, keep asking questions. I'm still asking questions everyday myself. Good luck with your new adventure!

PressurePro,

....Shame on you for speaking the truth!!:

Grease,

....you'll profit an amount equal to what you can put out, which with an $800 investment will be little. So you'll either burn out or cash out, one or the other. I'm not saying you cannot be the guy that starts out carrying a machine in the trunk of his car and make it. I was that guy. But that was ten years ago, when this biz was in it's infancy. I'd equate what you attempting to starting a lawn biz with an 18" push mower and trimming with clippers. Unless you are 12 yrs old and can pull off sypathy business, you won't get much work. Before you get too upset at folks on here for telling you like it is, keep in mind that we may just be saving you $800 of hard earned $ and a boatload of headaches.

I too agree that one can start out with small equipement. I started with a Home Depot 2700 psi 3 gallon per minute machine, 100 feetof haren hos and 50 feet of pressure washing hose.

I took the mony from my first job and paid off the Cash credit card advance I used to put a down payment on my insurance. Sure, it took a long time to do the house, more than 8 hours. I did a great job and spent the majority of my free time marketing, because I had no jobs to do... The marketing started to pay off s the phone started to ring... As the cash started to roll in, I continued to invest in better equipment and spent time and money marketing.

The 8 hour house in now a 1 hour job. The 400.00 deck job progressed to th 8000.00 barn staining project. Greaser, you can do this, I did it. Read the boards, invest your money wisely.

You can see some of my equipment at http://pwscleaning.com/our_equipment1.htm.

Call me and I will help you out with marketing. A lot of people helped me along the way, I will gladly pass it along.

Very few people start this business with a lot of money....

PS: I know Carlos from Newlook... Your best investment in the business would be to spend a day working with him!!!

Pressure Washer I owe you a apology, I understand that you were trying to tell me the facts on PW. You just came on too strong made me fell like a kid was starting a business. I respect the answer you gave and took into thought, it made me look at the big picture in PW. I still really want to pursue this PW business, last night I spent a couples of hours reading on the forum learned a lot of good things, but I still think I need that hands on training.

Carlos I hope your offer is still there to work with you, I think it would be great to learn from a pro and learn the fundamentals on PW. I live in the south bay in Los Gatos. I would be more than happy to meet you somewhere.

My reply earlier wasn't to offend anyone, those were not my intentions and if i did I apologies. Thanks everyone for your help.

Wow - you're gonna fit into this family just fine :) You've just displayed that you have what it takes to make it, ie, the nerve to ask the questions, the stomach to take the hard answers and the intestinal fortitude to forge ahead! Someone that wasn't cut out for this would have just gone away -

Welcome to the Grime Scene Family! Hope to see a lot more of you around here!:lgangel:

Celeste

Speaking for myself personally, sometimes it is a little touchy to me when I think of someone entering the business without proper equipment or training, and helping to perpetuate the idea among the public that this trade is not a true profession, or even that a high school kid can go to HD, buy stuff and call himself a power washer.

But as I reflect back, my first equipment came from HD, and I hardly knew what I was doing, and made mistakes along the way. Fortunately, I started part time, and quickly realized that I needed to heavily invest in upgrading my equipment, and most important, needed to really learn what I was doing.

Ten years ago, there were two other power washers listed in my local phone book. Today, there are about ten. How many will last, how many will shake out, I don't know.

But I do know that if people did their research and found these forums, their chances of success would have to greatly increase.

Self employment certainly brings me a lot of freedom and pleasure, but at the same time has brought me headaches I originally never dreamed of. It is prudent to spend as much up front time as possible to increase chances of success.

Taking advantage of a labor for learning relationship with an established contractor is about as good as it gets, because you can't learn this stuff from reading a book, watching a video, or even reading these forums. Hands on expereince absolutely rocks!

Greaserca, A note from Wyoming. Pay attention to the information in the forums because it is worth a small fortune. I started a part-time business this summer with used equipment. I have an accountant, insurance and my permits. I have set up some monthly accounts and am doing ok for a part-time job. The experence and information in this forum was what helped me take the first step. Take the feedback with a grain of salt, take what you feel might help you and file the rest. As far as equipment goes, remember the guys that started Cabela's sporting goods started out selling two hand tied flies with an ad in an outdoor mag. Good luck, Kem

i wish i would have found these boards before i started it would have made life a bit easier. Working with carlos you will be able to learn a lot. Good luck to you and sorry if I offended anyone. I was just thinking along the lines of trying to help him get started with what he has to work with.