Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Nasty nasty grout

Okay guys - the grout in our bathroom floor has gone beyond gross. I did a clean on it last year with something specialized (of course don't have the name or bottle anymore) I've tried the bleach route but it's just not getting as white as I'd like it too. What is your opinion on using oxalic acid on the bathroom floor......since it works so nicely on sidewalks, etc. I'm wondering if it will brighten the grout up so I can seal it and keep it that way?

Celeste

I actually do have one of those little "steam buggy" things and it didn't do the trick either. This grout is probably the same grout that was put in in 1929 and it's likely never been properly sealed. I'm afraid that it's gross through and through - I'm just really not interested in taking it all out and redoing it completely.

Celeste

Okay guys - the grout in our bathroom floor has gone beyond gross. I did a clean on it last year with something specialized (of course don't have the name or bottle anymore) I've tried the bleach route but it's just not getting as white as I'd like it too. What is your opinion on using oxalic acid on the bathroom floor......since it works so nicely on sidewalks, etc. I'm wondering if it will brighten the grout up so I can seal it and keep it that way?

Celeste

I would be more worried about the acid eating up the tile.

there's always regrouting ...:eek:

Although, I suppose if I totally ruin them, there's always the overlay work I'm doing!

Celeste

You talking about doing the acid wash looking concrete?

Like the house i posted a while back with the outdoor kitchen...??

The whole house has a black rustic stained concrete..

No, I actually put down a thin cementous product and tape in patterns to stain. I'm not using acids for staining existing concrete surfaces for the most part, too unpredictable - I would acid stain my system if I wanted that effect.

Celeste

No, I actually put down a thin cementous product and tape in patterns to stain. I'm not using acids for staining existing concrete surfaces for the most part, too unpredictable - I would acid stain my system if I wanted that effect.

Celeste

I gotcha ;)

good luck and hope you can keep from regrouting :cool:

Pick up a grout removal tool, some new grout and grout sealer at HD and you will get better results.

All you need to do is scrape the grout out of the lines (yes it is messy but I think after doing that concrete art stuff on your mantle, this one should be right up your alley Celeste) and refill... Its really easy and you will be able to seal it this time around making future cleaning easy and less time consuming.

Rod~

I used the Zep brand grout cleaner from HD on one of my accounts regularly and it worked very well. I cleaned the bathroom tile grout every 3 weeks and it always looked clean. Just apply a thin line of cleaner along the grout line, clean in a 3'x3' tile area at a time and wipe down the tile after each pass, use a brush to scrub between the lines, mop 3 or 4 times with clean water and a sponge mop when finished.

Hi Celeste,

I hope this doesn't sound dumb on this forum but... try this.... It may just save you alot of work. I have done this with SUPER results, except that my tile is from the 60's not the 20's. But for 3.00 bucks it's worth a shot.

Clorox makes these liquid filled pens that work perfect for in between tiles.

Just squeeze out the liquid while following the existing grout lines.

After a few minutes the lines are white as chalk.

http://www.thisoldgrout.com/

I have used this product which much success. Clean with a high alkaline cleaner, let sit and brush with a stiff bristle brush. steam helps after brushing. After drying, brush this stuff in with a toothbrush and wipe excess. Seals and colors at the same time. you can get any color from any manufacturers grout color chart. 20 bucks for a bottle will do a lot of grout.

You can get similar product at lowes, but they only carry a few colors.

Been doing vinyl,ceramic, brick, saltina, etc. for many years and what I find works for home situations where you have unstained/unsealed type grout that is not filled with grime just use citric acid in a spray bottle mixed as strong as the water will take.(somewheres aroud 1/3 powder to water). Spray it on and soak for minutes to hours and then do a quik scrub. Usually be like brand new. Will get brighter over a few days as well. Nothing safer than citric acid.

On food establishments where the grime gets thick black and hard as a rock use CLR first mixed real strong and soak for 15 to 30 minutes than autoscrub it up. You can boost it with Oxalic or Citric.(that's what it has in it). The key is that ya need the all important surfactants in such situation to break through the oils and dirt which act just like a seal. The citric will just sit on it otherwise and do almost nothing. Have to be real careful if grout is stained. In fact make a disclosure that some of the stain may bleed out during the process. I have never seen a situation where it keeps bleeding during regular care though and it always looks even after I'm done.

I'm going to just overlay it - I need to practice and it's going to be a great sales tool.......

As for the regrouting......I failed to mention that these are teeny little 1" tiles and the floor is about 6 - 10 !

Celeste