Sign in to follow this  
Hydroservices

Another low-baler.

Question

I thought I would share this picture with all of you other professionals out there. This man and his $300 Home Depot special just beat me out on two of my bid proposals for residential work.

Not only did he low-ball my price but he did a terrible job. Now the customer who owns this house is asking me to redo the work for half the price. I said no thank you.

You would think that people would do their research occasionally before selecting someone for this type of work.

It just goes to show you that you get what you pay for.

post-1120-137772150164_thumb.jpg

39 answers to this question

There are too many houses here in Houston to worry about 1 there is another 1 around the corner just like it.

I wouldn't even think about going 1/2 price and yes you do get what you pay for. :cool:

Not only did he low-ball my price but he did a terrible job. Now the customer who owns this house is asking me to redo the work for half the price.

This is the one that KILLS me. A customer passes on your bid and pays bottom dollar, gets a crappy job, and then calls you back. Now they not only expects a discount because the wall is less dirty than before, but they STILL think the first bid price was more appropriate than yours.

I'm sorry, but a large percentage of the American public is just plain stupid...

Had a friend of mine who is in the lawn care biz. Decided he would try his hand at PW. Bid on a gas station, $350.00 to wash the building and entire parking lot. Now, not only is his bid ridiculous, but he owns no PW equipment whatsoever. Machine Rental $120, helper for the day $60, Hardware store degreaser, $30, calling me to bail him out and me making $200 in an hour just to wash around the pumps…priceless. He still had to stay and finish the rest of the lot...with a WAND!

He later ask me what I thought he should do. I told him to stick to cutting grass.

Rubber boots......$20

Aluminum extension ladder.....$210

Pressure washer......$350

Getting a picture of someone botching up a job, with a wedgie to boot.....

Priceless

I love some of the replies that you guys/gals leave.

As far as the “covert” picture taking goes, I was not in the bushes or anything. This house that he is washing is just across the street form where I live so I just decided to take it from my window.

Scott,

Evil minds think a like... The rubber boot comment was the first thign that came to mind when I saw the pic. Good thing thew guy didn't have a bigger machine, it would have tossed him from that ladder.

Scott

I hate to say it but people in general do not put a high price on our work,

residential or commercial, most think they could do it themselves, so if they have to hire it out, get it as cheap as possible..

Until the states start making certification and licensing a must for pressure washing companies to operate, I only see it getting worse..

I thought I would share this picture with all of you other professionals out there. This man and his $300 Home Depot special just beat me out on two of my bid proposals for residential work.

Not only did he low-ball my price but he did a terrible job. Now the customer who owns this house is asking me to redo the work for half the price. I said no thank you.

You would think that people would do their research occasionally before selecting someone for this type of work.

It just goes to show you that you get what you pay for.

looks like hes taking mortor out .and that pink bucket has to go

I'll probably catch a lot of heat over this one, but hear me out anyways...Theres nothing anyone can do about quote "lowballers" unquote in the industry. There will always be someone out looking to make a quick dollar. You can report one to the law for violations and then 3 more pop up around the corner. That approach will never work. Posting photos of him on a bulletin board he might even come to and read wont really work. What will? Who knows? Why not try going up to the guy and talking to him about what he's doing. Tell him how he might be able to do it better. Then tell him what he should be charging to do it and how he's losing money. That way he wont be such a strain on the industry and we all look better in the public eye. You will never be able to totally eliminate quote "lowballers" unquote, so lets try something else?I know some of you think I'm crazy for saying all this, but its just my opinion! :)

A lot of the fault is with the customers. If they are dumb enough to hire a lowballer, then let them reap the consequences. Maybe next time they'll think twice b4 doing that again.

Sadly, I agree with Mike's point reguarding never getting rid of lowballers. 2 years ago, I had a local "round table" meeting with all of these $99.00 deck clowns. I tried to show them how they were false advertising (in a nice way, of course) and doing sub par work. I also tried to show them how they could be doin' things better & easier. They didn't wanna hear it. There was about 20 of them there - since then, 18 have gone under. I'm still here. The other 2 still rip people off and still SUCK royally. Last year about 15 - 20 more $99.00 clowns started screwing up everyone's decks. That's ok with me, 1 year from now all of their "victims" will be calling me. I'm done with trying to help or get rid of these clowns. Now when I see one of them I laugh at them, after all, thats what we do when we see a clown - we laugh!

Up until July of this year you had to have a license in Oregon. It made no difference that I could tell. The ilegal/illegitimate companies just didn't put their name on the side of their trucks and ran no ads. There was always the threat of a $5,000 fine for operating w/out the license but never heard of anybody getting one. A customer would have to be educated enough to know that the PW'er was required to have one and then know who to complain too.

This house that he is washing is just across the street form where I live so I just decided to take it from my window.

Man thats like a slap in the face when your neighbors get someone else to do the job. I wouldnt touch that house after that no matter what he is paying. Price wars will always be around as long as there is competion. Myself as a consumer when I am getting something done like septic or something I will call a couple of contractors to get bids and I always pick the middle bid not the highest and not the lowest. Thats just business.

A lot of the fault is with the customers. If they are dumb enough to hire a lowballer, then let them reap the consequences. Maybe next time they'll think twice b4 doing that again.

Sadly, I agree with Mike's point reguarding never getting rid of lowballers. 2 years ago, I had a local "round table" meeting with all of these $99.00 deck clowns. I tried to show them how they were false advertising (in a nice way, of course) and doing sub par work. I also tried to show them how they could be doin' things better & easier. They didn't wanna hear it. There was about 20 of them there - since then, 18 have gone under. I'm still here. The other 2 still rip people off and still SUCK royally. Last year about 15 - 20 more $99.00 clowns started screwing up everyone's decks. That's ok with me, 1 year from now all of their "victims" will be calling me. I'm done with trying to help or get rid of these clowns. Now when I see one of them I laugh at them, after all, thats what we do when we see a clown - we laugh!

Its just about impossible to get rid of these lowballers or clowns as the above post classifies them. These type people will forever hurt us because they do such terrible work and they tend to scar the heck out of wood when doing decks. THis only hurts us because potential customers hear stories like this and they take the attitude that Powerwashers in general will cause problems with there decks etc. So we now lose business because of these lowballers. What a never ending story...........