Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

How NOT to clean a deck

Question

79 answers to this question

Rich - It's cool. It's hard to joke on these boards because people can't see your body language or facial expression. I wish we could post our facial expressions with each post, would that be cool or what?! LOL

Anyways, I hear ya about the sikkins jobs, as soon as I hear the "S" in sikkins, I wanna hang up the phone! LOL.

Sad story - In summer 05 I went to a customer's home to look at their deck and they told me it was coated with Sikkins. They said it kinda shamefully too. After I said I unfortunately could'nt help them, they then said I was the 10th person that week that told them that.

Its interesting to hear people in general talking about how they avoid jobs with prior applications of Sikkens on them. Coming from our perspective where we actually apply and maintain this product as an option in our service, we don't mind the challenge.

The one thing I have noticed is that some people will splurge and get the full Sikkens 3 coat type service then let it go despite the reminder cards we send out for timely maintenance.

I cant blame people for taking on the easier jobs, its easy money obviously.

Although we do like a challenge, with regards to a specific coating, we will definitely step away from paint stripping. The reason being the composition of the strippers needed to be effective. I personally don't like being exposed to them, the debris or the fact that it all goes into the ground below the deck.

Some may argue the fact that all strippers are bad in this way but may I make a distinction here. The Sodium Hydroxide/Metasilicate strippers can be converted by neutralization to harmless salts. The M.E.K. based strippers for paint can present an ongoing hazard for re-exposure and ground water contamination as they do not break down into basic elements once the wash is complete. Instead they evaporate over time creating a toxic environment potentially harmful to anyone where these neurologically detrimental chemicals were used.

These days I will admit cob blasting is becoming a more environmentally appealing alternative for those with children and a growing awareness of creating and maintaining a safe place to live in.

Rod!~