Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

How NOT to clean a deck

Question

79 answers to this question

....while I calm myself after seeing that sexy, topless photo of RogerG in his avatar:) (LOL).......

I guess I missed all that got edited, as usual. I too wish the 'edit' buttons would break, but it is not my yard.

Jarrod, regarding your assumed-correct way of restoring wood, I simply submit that you've learned that info from someone that has something to sell you. Your way works for you, great, but there are multiple ways to skin a rabbit. Now, if you could PROVE your way is best, then it would be something to listen to. But neither you nor I have enough money to properly test a theory and compare it against others.

I sandblast a lot of decks, and I can assure you the result is better than what you achieve with chems. I've done both ways....so you'll have to trust me on that one. Is it a better "method"?? No, probably not, but since the 'result' is better would it mean that a chemical restoration is sub-par???

My point: Be open to knew ideas and methods, and question your perceived-truths. Do you REALLY think hot water damages wood, or are you regurjitating (sp) something someone else has told/sold you? Do you REALLY think it is better for wood to be bathed in Naoh than 100deg. water??

You like that, huh? LOL :)

Jon, when you sandblast decks, are you literally using sand or some other media? I've seen the mess that cob leaves - how bad is sand? I can definitely see some pros to using a media blaster as opposed to chems.

Celeste

Celeste,

Usually corn or walnut......yep, terrible mess. Goes away in time, but is good for the grass, etc, and provides a good bed for plants. We try and blow it away as much as possible, but still gets everywhere. People complain about water coming in their house......at least water evaporates.

Congradulations to Ken Fenner for the best post of 2005, LOL :)

Jarrod, depends. The appearance is pitted, but allows for rediculous pentration and absorbtion. Buffs smooth easily though. I stain most of my decks with TWP, and it looks great on blasted wood.

Thing is, this isn't an efficient method for most. I only do it if the home is attached to a cabin and blasting would be easier than chem stripping. This is not a cost-effective solution (not that I've figured out), and the noise/dust creation would not be allowed near a subdivision full of decks.

I'll try and find a couple good pics later.

So, there are actual pits in the wood?

I use TWP too it is good stuff.

How long does it take to sand blast a 500 sq ft deck?

I walk away from above mentioned decks, so do many other contractors around here.

Jon I am with you, there are different ways to restore a deck.

I am not a wood guy but I do have the knowledge and experience to restore decks to a wonderful end product.

I mentioned SealMaxx not to say that their way was right, just different from what I was taught. Their end result is as good as any deck I have seen posted on this board. As far as their promises and claims go, that is another thread, we know what they claim is not possible.

This thread may end up being like the X-jet versus Downstreaming. They both have the same end results when done properly.Knowledge is very valuable and when you combine that with experience I personaly believe chems are not the only way to restore decks.

To bleach or not to bleach? Another topic people jump on and with proper knowledge and experience this is a great product.( bleach on wood is 100% wrong to some)

My point is, be careful bashing other companys methods unless you are 100% positive what they are doing is wrong.

Let's be clear, I never bashed anyone for sandblasting a deck. Until now, I've never heard of that process on decks. I DID say that using a rotary nozzle on a DECK was foolish and I stand by that. I never said that anything Jon did was bad. I hope this clears this up! So now the lynch mob can put out their torches and put away the tar & feathers.

Jarrod,

I felt the same way when the guy told me he roto-blasted wood, but then I saw his final results and they looked like mine if I chemmed, blasted, or sanded. I just don't go for the whole damaged-deck/doomsday scenario others portray when talking about someone using bleach, hot water, rotoblaster, etc. It is always good to be thinking about different methods IMO. I actually have made a conscious effort in the last six months to try and re-learn/re-think all of the things I do on subconscious level (practically) to figure out if there are better/more efficient/more practical ways of achieving results.

BTW, don't worry, nobody thinks you are bashing me/my methods. This board just happens to be hyper-sensitive to anything that can stir things up, since I suppose there are a lot of homeowners that peruse this site. So the mod's try and keep the reigns tight before things get away. I am also guilty of having a handful of edited posts:)

Let's be clear, I never bashed anyone for sandblasting a deck. Until now, I've never heard of that process on decks. I DID say that using a rotary nozzle on a DECK was foolish and I stand by that. I never said that anything Jon did was bad. I hope this clears this up! So now the lynch mob can put out their torches and put away the tar & feathers.

Jarrod,

Actually what you said that lit the torches was: "There is only 1 way to properly restore a deck - strip it, brighten it, & stain (seal) it."

And while I use the same method myself, I would have to disagree with the sentiment. I wouldn't recommend stripping a deck with a turbo nozzle, or playing pool with a broom handle. But for someone who has experience with those methods, they may produce excellent results.

I know that I certainly wouldn't bet against Steve Mizerack on a pool game if he was playing with a 2x4 and I had the finest queue made...

Jon, this is the first time I've been sent to the corner with my gum on my nose. Hopefully the last.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this - I don't think it is practical to roto a deck, then have to sand it and then stain it. Here's why - First, it's just too time consuming and I doubt that people would wanna pay for the extra work involved. Second - I don't wanna stuff the customer's eyes back into his skull when he sees what the roto tip did to his deck.(B4 it was sanded)

One of the first ? I get when bidding is "Your'e not gonna fur up my deck are ya?" We do a LOT of cedar here and you all know how soft that wood is!

Believe me, I'm not bragging when I say what I'm about to say, I'm merely explaining why I'm so stuck in my ways. - With my current process, I can strip & brighten a 700 sq ft deck with railings, spindles & stairs in an hour to 1:15 at the most. And the clock starts when I get out of the truck. Now, I'd say that's pretty good time. The results I get are very good too. Now, knowing this info, is there really a faster, better, easier way I should be doing this? I'm not being cocky, I really wanna know. All replies are welcome as I really want to find out if there is a better, faster, or easier way.

Personally, I was wondering where he got Pete's picture. :eek:

Petey is doing his best to live the quiet life in Tampa amongst the 'blue hairs.' When it comes to cleaning restaurants, nobody's better! I went over and hung out with him for a day last week and we hooked up with K.J. (Ken Schwarz) for lunch. Tried to get Wayne (WEW) in on the plan but he was out cleaning.

Thanks for the trip to the cigar shop and lunch, Petey! :lgmoneyey

Ps. His daughter is a precious little angel! (Obviously not his) LOL! J/K!