Sign in to follow this  
rousec

Nitrogen Power

Has anyone ever considered using compressed nitrogen to pressurize your chemical tanks? I would think that this would be more efficient in delivering chemicals than using a diaphram pump. Is anyone aware of a commercial system that is available? The cost of setting up a tank and regulator would be minimal. You can get regulators that would limit the psi to max of 100 psi. The only problem I see would be attempting to get a plastic tank to seal against the pressure. I guess you could use a beer keg as a pressure vessel. What do you think???

I seem to remember some using the old style pepsi/coke syrup containers. They already have fittings on them and everything. I would think 100 psi would be enough to empty most containers.

I did some more research and FLOJET makes an air diaphram pump that will do up to 7 gpm @ 60 psi. By using this pump there would be no need to pressureize the tank. You could build this system for around $300.00.

Or in the alternative you could go to www.foamit.com and pay about $1200.00 for the same thing.

I did some more research and FLOJET makes an air diaphram pump that will do up to 7 gpm @ 60 psi. By using this pump there would be no need to pressureize the tank. You could build this system for around $300.00.

Or in the alternative you could go to www.foamit.com and pay about $1200.00 for the same thing.

I tried the flojet route...the one I got (4.5gpm) sucked. Shurflo rules.

What type of Flojet did you use? I was not aware that Shurflow made an air diaphram pump. If they do I would like to have the model number so that I could compare the spec's.

What type of Flojet did you use? I was not aware that Shurflow made an air diaphram pump. If they do I would like to have the model number so that I could compare the spec's.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were referring to...I assume now that an air diaphragm pump is a different animal that a typical shurflo?

THE FLOJET that I am looking at will do up to 7 gpm @ 60 psi continuous duty. The best deal that I found on the pump is $120.00 delivered. Add a bottle or nitrogen and a regulator and you have a very cheap alternative to having an electrical pump that will require either a generator or putting an additional load on your skids charging system. I know some think that this is a lot of effort, but I think that I would rather have to exchange a cylinder of nitrogen every couple of months rather than maintaining an electrical device, such as the pump and battery. Just a thought. I will post pictures when I get the system built.

Are you looking at the santoprene or viton diaphragm? Just make sure the rubber parts are compatible with the solution you're pumping. If $120 is for the santoprene, I think I can do better.

DESCRIPTION

FLOJET Industrial G-57 Series Pumps are designed for

general commercial and industrial applications. These

pumps are constructed from a selection of materials for

handling a broad range of chemicals.

Allowed fluids for

Santoprene ® materials:

Potable Water, Acids, Alkaline, Soaps, Alcohols, Ketones

Allowed fluids for Viton ® materials

Oils, Solvents, D-Limonene, Aromatic & Halogenated Hydrocarbons, Acids

Nitrogen works great for beer! And Korny kegs are cheap to come by. Although, unless you de-pressureize after use you will likely carbonate your chem solutions.

As far as chem vessels, very few containers not designed for pressure will hold up to 100psi. They may function at first test, but they'll be well beyond their safety rating and would not be safe to operate.

Not that you really need a lot of pressure. 14psi will get you 33ft of lift and from what I can tell, the xjet operates on ~ -3.4psi. I'd consider low pressure provided by plain old air. A cheap 5 gallon static tank starting at 100psi would still be at 4psi (~10ft lift)after emptying 100+ gallons of chem. Granted dead air space and air waste will significantly reduce the actually useable output, but unless you're using 25+ gallons/day of chems or operating at 15+ft lift I doubt it will affect you.

FWIW, I just bought a cheap ($30) compressor rated at 4cfm@45psi. That's enough power to provide 33ft of lift so long as you don't draw need more than 50 gals of chems/minute.

If you're serious about bottled gas, consider scuba gear. A standard 80cuft tank will push over 300 gallons of chems before falling below 14psi. And last time I checked, refills were about $5.00/ea.

SCBA and SCUBA tanks need to be pressure tested every 3 or 5 years. Those that fill breathing tanks will not fill them unless the tank is in current pressure test dates. Testers will not test SCUBA tanks unless the user has a current certification. These are US-DOT regulations. A new tank is about $600.00. Used tanks are available, but will probalbly need a pressure test. What will you use for a regulator and the adaptor from tank to regulatror?

A N tank is about $200.00 and a refill about $20 to $25.00. The regulator and hose will be about $165.00. N tanks are available on a rental basis. The last price I saw was about $5.00 per month.

A CO2 beverage tank is about $ 175 and the regulator is about $85.00. refills about $30.00 to $70.00. The CO2 may freeze under hi volumn flows.

I use N, but then we use N for fire extinguisher recharges.

Douglas Hicks

General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc