Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Floyd fans

Question

You know who you are.

David Gilmour,the guitarist for Pink Floyd is going to release his 3rd solo albumn in over 15 years. He is also going to be touring the U.S. for around 6 (already sold out shows) and Canada. What does this have to do with our business......... absolutely nothing. I just wanted to share the info with anyone who has ever been a Floyd fan. I cannot emphasize how great an artist this guy is. His playing is completely genious. None of us will ever be able to see the Floyd again in this life ( or will we), so this is the next best thing.

I have seen him perform and trust me, if you have never heard his material aside from the Floyd it is unreal. He is up there with the greats in my book

Satriani, Vai, Chet Atkins, Eric Johnson (from my hometown, Austin, Tx.), Steve How. I have admired these guys all my life and tried to snag a few of their licks along the way. The cd will be released on March 6th, and yes I am one of those blokes that will be there when the store opens.

Again, you ask, what does this have to do with our business? Slap on the ipod while you are doing a cleaning and just see if your day doesn't go a little better. I can hardly wait.:lgsideway

42 answers to this question

Adrian

I'm lookign to go to the Pink Floyd Laser light show this month here in Houston..:cool:

I've seen Roger Waters a few times and what a great show!!

I saw the Live 8 video feed from london for reunion / final performance of Pink Floyd and they were tighter than ever. Dark Side of the moon still sells over 800 albumns a week even after 20 years and has been on the billboard charts for over 741 weeks in the top 100. Roger waters is a genius and Gilmour is a master on the guitar. The Laser shows are quit a treat to the eye and ear as well. That genre of music is not quit as popular as I would like to be here in the "dirty south" and great news like this is almost always at the last minute.

I think the record store opens at 9:00 so I will be there at 8:00. lol.

"There is no dark side of the moon really,...... as a matter of fact it's all dark"

I recorded "THE WALL" in Hi DEF and man it's better than ever especially in Dolby Digital it ROCKS!!

I think i was having a few flashbacks when i watched it...:cool:

MY fav.Roger Waters solo album is Pros and cons of Hitchhiking....I blew my fuse on my PPI amp in my car a few years back listening to that cd...:D

I have a few Floyd concert AVI's i dlded from the net....Are you on high speed internet Adrian?

I'll share them with you but they are some big files! Wish you were here...Shine on Crazy Diamonds...I also have the whole Pulse concert from 1994 in MPEG...

I have Live at the 8 on AVI also ...

Got to love Floyd, I remember popping in an 8 track just cruising around with my buddies listening to Floyd. I saw them in Foxboro stadium years later and it was like being a kid again. They rock & relax at the same time.

Floyd puts on the best show. No drugs required!!! lol. The light show in itself is sensory overload. Yeah, Shane, you can try and send them to my email on my signature at the bottom. I have Pulse on video(practically memorized). If that will work.I do have cable. You may have to send one at a time. I have a video of gilmour solo tour back from the last century with Snoey white on backing guitar and chris Slade on drums (ac/dc drummer) and a host of other's from the brit circle. 2 hours of RULE!!!!!

If that email address does'nt work for the files then PM me and I can give you a email addy that may hold a larger file. I may also give you a shout about sprayer systems. (thinking I may and push deck work a little harder this year). In the mean time... I found a site that managed to snag a vid of the PF reunion at live 8. Only one video though. Originally there were 3 songs in the set, but AOL pulled the vids and now you can only buy the entire broadcast. Here's the link, i have not found a way to actually download it to burn to cd but make sure you have cookies turned on in case this gets pulled off the web. I'm pretty sure it's unuthorised at this point....

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/002217.html

Ok cool i'm trying to send them now from my hotmail account..thanks for the link..:cool:

Yeah call me anytime about the sprayer i'll help ya build one no prob..

Dark Side of the moon still sells over 800 albumns a week even after 20 years and has been on the billboard charts for over 741 weeks in the top 100.

Over 30 years (1973). I've been a huge Pink Floyd fan just about my whole life, although I was a little to young to see the band live, and still a little to young to have gone to some of their diffenent solo missions in the later years.

My brother and I were introduced to Pink via my dad who was huge fan back in the day. When we were little, somtimes my dad would have some of his buddies over on the weekend, and they would crank Dark Side of the Moon, and I'll tell you, when your 5 and 6 years old, and the intro to Time, when the clocks go off, blares down the hall way when your already somewhat afraid of the dark and strange noises, that's somthing you don't forget. Those are the memories I appreciate now, if it wasn't scary, I wouldn't remember it.

Excellent, I will check email in bit and give it time to load. Also may give a shout sat eve or sun eve. Doing trucks and copters during the day.

Thanks man.

oh yeah I meant to mention that I have a bootleg of a floyd show where the play entire wish you were here albumn before it was even released and the songs sound completely different from the recording. Very unrefined but a keeper nonetheless. It is from 1973. transferred from cassette recorder to cd. Analog to digi never comes out very good but I got it!!

I'm sure evryone knows by now about "The Dark Side Of The Rainbow" where you sync the albumn, Dark Side of the Moon with the movie the wizard of oz. It is unreal. ......also that there is a line of appearal that is DSotM. I got a pair of sleeper wear for Christmas. I'm not fanatical, not me, no never!!!

I'm sure evryone knows by now about "The Dark Side Of The Rainbow" where you sync the albumn, Dark Side of the Moon with the movie the wizard of oz. It is unreal. ......also that there is a line of appearal that is DSotM. I got a pair of sleeper wear for Christmas. I'm not fanatical, not me, no never!!!

Yep seen the WIZ a few times with Floyd playing it was too cool!!

Adrian i need to burn a DVD off my TIVO of THE Wall in Hi Def and mail it to you.:cool:

Shane, I got the Venice downloaded.... Thanks very much, I am going to burn this afternoon to a dvd. I can also copy a cd of the Pre- Wish You Were Here Show from '73 and get it your way. I remember when the Venice video came out way back when ( hmmm things were a little foggy back then) I complletely forgot that Rachel Fury was one of the back up singers. She is an awesome singer and also was on the Gilmour solo tour ( which I still need to get transferred from VHS format)

Had to comment some more after looking at that site. Why is it that the majority of people become more conservative as they age, but the 'artistic' types become more liberal. Im sure most of them started that way, and a lot of their music reflects a liberal worlview. I absolutely love Floyds music, along with Springsteen, the Dead, even the Dixie chicks music I like.

But with fame they get a bigger platform and feel either the need or demand for them to speak out. I just wish they (including the hollywood types,) would understand that their music is what we like, not their often uninformed opinion. Just because they have the stage and everyone's watching them doesn't give them the license to speak out. Just play the damn music!

Gilmour's 2nd albumn is called "About face" and it is worth searching for.

The 3rd albumn will be available on march 6th.

As far as platforms go, I can't totally agree with you Jon. Alot of musical artist' use a musical platform because they are not the right type of spokesperson for a vocal push of that topic, so they sing about it.

Their art may happen to coincide with a particular topic of widespread concern so they use it for a vehicle to help others. I have been involved with many many events focused on a certain topics that my band has fit into. Example,

Habitat for humanity down to personal freinds who have lost everything to a fire in their home. I certainly would not affiliate myself or my band with the KKK rallies or The B.E.T. network because our art would not have anything to do with their platform. But I would certainly dedicate my time and art towards something like Farm Aid or Live 8 because if used to the fullest degree, could benefit the ones who are really in need. Plus I would have the setlist reflect the topic, verses singing about the time I got so drunk in Mexico......

I do agree however that a particular platform should not be interrupted or misused by mundaine opinions or beliefs of the individual, taking away from the original premise. The Floyd have always been political, and have always performed art to raise awareness to the understanding of THEIR reflections, but not once have I ever heard them interrupt a performance to shout out slogans about saving the New Zealand 3 toed pygmie leopard. If used correctly, these platforms can actually do what they are designed to do.

Again, I am not completely disagreeing with you on the topic, in fact I am leaning towards a parrallel agreement. Think about this, David Gilmour sold one of his homes for 6.5 million $$. He did not keep one penny of that money for himself. He gave it all to charity. God Bless Him for that. And you will have to do some pretty extensive research to verify that. He was a silent hero in this case. The fact that Floyd ( all of the original members except Syd) got back together for one final performance proves that they are definately concerned for the benefit of others (because if you know Floyd like I do, then you know that they have had several personal conflicts with each other, longstanding). They knew that it would collectively draw attention to that particular platform of charity just because they are Pink Floyd. They were not in it for the money (.... and yes, these bands do get paid for their service at these charity events despite what you hear). They just buried the hatchet for the cause.

But to abuse the time slot with in your face beliefs and convictions is misuse of the platform is not my cup of tea. I understand completely what you are referancing, and thank God not all artist are like that esp the Floyd. Most really care and donate time and money toward the cause. I certainly don't agree with every platform out there but I defend their right to have it.

You certainly won't find Megedeth at a lilith fair tour. And then again alot of performers out their are just plain stupid to push their platform beyond it's perimeters. In the end their point is defeated and the general populus missed the point anyways because it is so clouded with the hit and run mentality and stupidity of the misuse.

If only Jimi Hendrix was alive today he may be singing and playng tunes to the effect of how dangerous drugs are. We all have to live and grow and become aware of the world around us. But some just don't get. They would have you believe the way they do.

I am with you Jon on the fact that we should just be able to enjoy the tunes without being pie faced with particular views. We should all take the Gilmour approach with our 6.5 million mansions. I am very sure that his accountants were very shakey at his decision to give it all away.

I have always adhered to a proverb that says a wise man stands in a corner when a fool is in the middle of the room with his mouth wide open.

God Save the Queen, God bless the leaders of our country and

LONG LIVE PINK FLOYD!!!

I dont mind the music being their stage for their veiws. its when they use their fame to espouse them. One of my favorite shows is a local alternative radio station that has 60's music on saturdays. They often run protest songs, anti war songs, etc. I love them. Dont agree with what they say, but love the songs and music.

If they do a show to benefit habitat, more power to them. But when you go to a concert to hear the music, and they use that forum to bash Bush, the war in Iraq and this country in general, thats going to far!

I just wanted to share a link I found that has some videos of the LIVE 8 performance of Pink Floyd. This will probably be the last recorded live performance of PF. Just wanted to share how great they sound after all this time. Hope everyone is staying busy and making happy customers.

here's the link.....

http://www.youtube.com/w/Breathe?v=ZznyDZU5hnY&search=Pink%20Floyd%20Live%20Eight%20Money

Well today is the day I have been waiting for , for a long, long time.

It's the release day of David Gilmour's new solo albumn. I doubt that there will be a line or anything like that to get into the record store ( considering ATL is the dirty south..... land of hip hop ughhh!) but I am sure I will be one of only a few who actually know who this icon of a guitarist is, in this town. I have seen the daily vid's that have been posted on his site and the daily sound bites of the releases & it amazes me the zeal & flare this gentleman still posesses at age 61. It sounds as if there is a bit of floyd feel and signature to the recordings but it is all Gilmour without question. All of his concerts in North America, Canada, and the U.K. are sold out, with no expected added shows at this point. I can't say that I blame him for not performing in ATL, because there is just no demand for his stylings in these parts. What a shame, as I would be there like a teenage girl fainting at an Elvis concert. I have seen him performseveral times and he is truely one of a kind.

On another note..... Joe Satriani has a release coming out today as well called "Super Collosal" another brilliant guitarist (instrumentalist). If you have not heard of this gentleman, then do yourself a favor and pick up anything he has ever recorded. You won't be disappointed. Openeing up the "Joe" shows is my hometown hero ( Austin, Tx) Eric Johnson (5 Grammy's). What a priveledge it has been to see these greats as many times as I have.

As a guitarists myself I have been humbled and even considered using all of my seventeen guitars for firewood after seeing these guys. They truely have been an inspiration to my playing over the past 2 decades. What would our lives be without music. Some don't even realize that music sells movies. commercials and just simply helps us ( me esp.) get through the day.

And yes...... all my amplifiers go to 11.

I hope everyone has a great week ahead and thanks for letting me use this space for my fanatical whims.

Thx Neil, cool info, I do not have serius setup and have not researched the station. I have heard about it, just never listened.

I did however find out that I am not the only Gilmour fan through this thread and I think that is so cool.

I was the first in line to get the cd on this past Tues. Met a few other fans as well from the city I live in. Cool to know that I am not the only one.

I really hate to sound so fanatical about this guy, but he is just a genious.

#1 on the UK charts for new releases in the first week and I'm sure he will be up high when the US charts are compiled. It has been an extremely rough week for me and I am very glad to have purchased the cd as I am so very tight with my $$$$.

I had a 15mm kidney stone removed from my body on Fri and it was no cakewalk and am still in alot of pain aside from the vicodin and other meds the Dr. put me on. But I truely am glad I got the cd before hand as that's all I have been listening to up to the surgery. Yes 15mm is very large. I still cringe at all the blood and after effects.

As crazy as this sounds, that 61 year old musician has made the recoup alot easier for me. Music and PW is my life. What a combo huh? But I will be jamming to it until the laser burns through the cd.

12.00 dollars was well worth the price as tight as I am and along with the cd packaging is another single cd of the radio single "on an island". But that is only distributed in a limited #. Get a copy if you guys are interested in that sort of music. It is very mature and not spacey like floyd music is and it is well worth the purchase.

The stones are not what they used to be, Robert Plant is not what he used to be, Springstein and Daltry are not what they used to be but Gilmour is still shining like he never took any time off. If I am dating myself, that's cool, I don't mind. But like I said, this cd is a work of art. I will go to my grave being a rocker. Maybe I will sell my kidney stone on Ebay like Captain Kirk did.

Then I can use the $$$ to learn how to become a real PWer.

Thanks for the babble time, it's probably the vicodin just kickin in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/davidgilmour/index.shtml

go to "see concert now", it won't be up forever. There are some very special guest' in the show as well. Rick Wright ( keyboardist for Floyd) and Guy Pratt ( he replaced Waters as bass player for Floyd). Turn your cookies on your pc on so you can view it and possibly record to dvd if you have the software.

BBC rules!!

Hope everyone has a great week ahead.

Adrian,

I'm glad to see someone else include Chet Atkins when they talk of great guitarists. I'm not a fan of country music in any way, but he is awesome. I'm a player too!

Chet has spawned several great great guitarist like Eric Johnson, John Petrucci of Dream Theater, Andy Timmons,and james Burton, Brian Setzer, Larry Carlton and Mike Stern . Not to mention the signature Tennesean Gibson (Sp?) guitar that is still one the top sellers in the Gibson line. He offered many different styles of playing. I saw him when I was very young and to this day is the only guitarist that I have seen play 2 different songs simultainiously on one ax. It blew me away then and to think of it now still blows me away. His jazz instructional video is one of the rarities of the times. He was one of the headliners at Les Paul's 80th birthday party and he stole the show.

Ever hear of a little town called O'Fallon, Mo.? I have some family there.

Adrian -

Here in Asheville we have lots of live music venues, however one truly amazing venue is The Orange Peel. www.theorangepeel.net Friday night Reagan and I saw George Thorogood and The Destroyers. We've been looking forward to this show for months! He's a bad*** legend and just rocks it hard. An unbelievable show! I couldn't believe how good he is live.

Hey Jeff...he's in Myrtle Beach tonight at House of Blues!

cheers,

/neil

Gotta rattlesnake skin for a necktie.........

Jorge rules man, saw him in Austin years ago and that show still stands out as one of the best slide guitarist to date.

Eric Sardinas is real great slider as well. Steve Vai dicovered him and sign him to his Favored Nations label.... the rest is history.

Man I am glad that there are other guitar enthusiasts on this board.

Kind of always been leary of bringing it up as they are so stereo typed as druggies and bad boys and *** fiends. lol.