Sign in to follow this  
h2owizards

Surface Cleaner Questions

Can someone please set the record straight for me? I have heard and read that it is not wise to use a 20" or bigger with a small gpm(4) machine. On the other hand, I have read and heard that it is no big deal...just change tips to fit your machine. Some guys say they have used 30" with a 4gpm and had no problems....other than having to go a li'l slower. So, which is correct?

Also, do you guys/gals prefer the floaters or coasters?

I only do residentials so I wouldn't think I would need anything really big anyway but that could change down the road.

Is there a particular brand that you like best?

Who has best prices right now?

I have only done this biz in spurts but I am getting ready to go full time in a few weeks so I really appreciate everyone's input.

BTW, I just bought another machine that I am planning on using with the surface cleaner. It is a 3750/4gpm.

Thanks again,

Steve S.

I use a 24" Steel Eagle with a 4gpm hot machine. I love it, but frankly only because it is SOOO much better than waving the wand at my work all day. I have to move pretty slowly to avoid the dreaded swirlys. I'll be buying a larger machine as soon as possible.

I might have saved a nice chunk buying more GPM's from the start, but didn't have this valuable board as a resource then. If you already have the lower flow machine, it might well be better to get the smaller surfacer. I'm not positive as these are the only ones I've used.

I hope this comes near to an answer for you, and good luck!:)

I had a 27" that I used with my 4gpm machine. It worked, but you had to walk SLOOOW... If I had to do over again, I would have gotten a 16" and gotten more work done. I now use a 30" big guy witha 5.5 machine.

Thanks guys! I figured a 16 or 18" would suffice. I like the 4gpm machines for x-jetting. I can get a bettter ratio with them.

Thanks again.

Steve

You can get the same ratio with other machines,just have to get the right x-jet for it or use the proportioners.

Johny

Granted, I'm the newest of newbies... But I have a 4GPM 3700 PSI cold water unit that I have successfully run an eaglewash 16" floater on.

Admittedly I have less experience power washing than most of the folks here have running a nuclear reactor, but I was truly impressed with the results I got.

Matt

20 hp Honda engine, 5000 psi and 4gpm....What size and brand surface cleaner should I buy. I too made the mistake of not getting more gpm when making my initial purchase. Starting part time business.

Mi T,

With 20hp, why not upgrade the pump? I have used an 18" Whirl-a-way and a 20 Landa Water Jet with a 4000/4gpm cold and hot machines with good results. I have also used a 20" General "floater" with OK results. My 24" Steel Eagle was too big for the 4000/4 machine, but works great with my 3000/8pm. Heat always helps.

My personal opinion is that floaters are a pain - literally. I have had "issues" with my shoulder and trying to manhandle the floater was too tiring. I like wheels, and the bigger the better. The smaller wheels tend to get filled with debris and stick too often. Just my 2 cents