Sign in to follow this  
Jhignutt

How much is involved with your typical residential powerwash

Question

Just was wondering what everyone includes in there typical housewash.

Do you clean the following or charge for each?

Precast Steps & Railings

Brick Steps

Deck Steps

Sidewalks

Concrete Pads

Splashblocks

Chimneys

Feel free to add to this posts.

27 answers to this question

Chimneys are always included. A customer would have to step up to the Platinum level for a housewash to have all the rest included. I might throw in a small stoop or a few steps. I try to sell all of this up front.

I always try to throw in something extra. Usually I like to do something in the front, where neighbors will see or notice. More exposure=more jobs. Give them a little more than they expected, and you'll see your return business as well as your referrals go up dramatically. my .02

Precast Steps & Railings = if it's on the front door.

Brick Steps = Yes.

Deck Steps = Only with deck. Sometimes I'll do them as a "demo" if I didn't get the deck work and I have a reason for including them (like they touch a sidewalk I just did)

Sidewalks = no.

Concrete Pads = ~3x3 door landing = yes. larger = now

Splashblocks = sometimes. If they are visible, obvious, and make an impact on the house look = yes. Just because = no.

Chimneys = yes.

Bottom line: If it's attached to the house and the job needs it to look right, yes. Unless it's large enough to constitute a seperate bid like a deck, 10x10 patio, etc. That almost always includes brick steps, and almost never includes sidewalks.

Precast Steps & Railings = if it's on the front door.

Brick Steps = Yes.

Deck Steps = Only with deck. Sometimes I'll do them as a "demo" if I didn't get the deck work and I have a reason for including them (like they touch a sidewalk I just did)

Sidewalks = no.

Concrete Pads = ~3x3 door landing = yes. larger = now

Splashblocks = sometimes. If they are visible, obvious, and make an impact on the house look = yes. Just because = no.

Chimneys = yes.

Bottom line: If it's attached to the house and the job needs it to look right, yes. Unless it's large enough to constitute a seperate bid like a deck, 10x10 patio, etc. That almost always includes brick steps, and almost never includes sidewalks.

Perfect guidline. This is exactly how I handle it.

Suppose the chimney is on a two or three story home in the middle of the house and you need to setup a ladder and get on the roof do you still do the chimney.

Yes. around here most roofs are walkable, it only takes an average of an extra 10 minutes to pull a ladder and bang it out. Of course you always want to factor in the little extra time into your bid for the house wash.

Just curious if anyone else has ever done a house wash and had to get on the roof to clean the other side which can't be seen, or accessed from the ground, and when you get up there its completly filthy because the other Jack a**'s who have cleaned the house in the past decided it wasn't worth the extra time to get on the roof and do the job right. I see this all the time, and it pisses me off. You can't find good help these days.

Suppose the chimney is on a two or three story home in the middle of the house and you need to setup a ladder and get on the roof do you still do the chimney.

I would set my estimate to include it (another reason quoting one-size-fits all pricing over the phone or on a website is a bad idea) If it was not visible from the ground, I would ask the owner if he would like to add it in for an extra cost.

Do you guys include gutters in the house wash price?

What is your technique on gutters... Spray with XJ, brush and rinse?

Matt

I will factor the price of cleaning gutters into the housewash price as well as front steps and walkway. I don't like my name to go on a housewash with bad curb appeal. My opinion is the homeowner will never tell that he was cutting cost by not wanting to pay extra for these options.

I mix my gutter cleaning solution in a bucket, apply with a extension brush, then rinse.

I will factor the price of cleaning gutters into the housewash price as well as front steps and walkway. I don't like my name to go on a housewash with bad curb appeal. My opinion is the homeowner will never tell that he was cutting cost by not wanting to pay extra for these options.

I mix my gutter cleaning solution in a bucket, apply with a extension brush, then rinse.

Same for me. Cleaning the gutters is included in all of my house wash estimates. Dirty gutters detract from an otherwise clean house.

Mike

Do you also include complete roof cleaning with the price of a housewash.

No, I do not include roof wash with the price of a housewash. I do not beleive most people would consider this as part of a house wash. I always try to sell this option unless the roof will need to be replaced in the near future.

I know some will argue the point of the roof being part of a housewash, but I do not. Just my .02 worth

:lglolly:

By not including the roof, wont that give the house bad curb appeal if the roof is all covered with mold and moss? I would guess if a homeowner decides he needs their house cleaned they will do all of the house and pay whatever it takes to do the entire house, but have any of you run in to the situation where they will not pay extra. Do you refuse to do the job so you wont get a bad name in the neigborhood or just do what is asked and get what you get.

By not including the roof, wont that give the house bad curb appeal if the roof is all covered with mold and moss? I would guess if a homeowner decides he needs their house cleaned they will do all of the house and pay whatever it takes to do the entire house, but have any of you run in to the situation where they will not pay extra. Do you refuse to do the job so you wont get a bad name in the neigborhood or just do what is asked and get what you get.

I'm glad someone gets it (no disrespect to the guys that include brushing I just think its silly not to upcharge for it) You can get gutters 70% clean without brushing so they will not detract from a housewash but a dirty roof can make the whole job look like crap.

I'm glad someone gets it (no disrespect to the guys that include brushing I just think its silly not to upcharge for it) You can get gutters 70% clean without brushing so they will not detract from a housewash but a dirty roof can make the whole job look like crap.

Sure a dirty roof can detract away from an otherwise clean house, but the given fact is, that it's fairly easy to tack on gutter cleaning to your house wash bid without a noticable inflation of price, but with roof cleaning, this is not possible. Also, some folks don't like the idea of having their roof cleaned no matter how much you explain the benifits or procedures, where as, most everybody is in favor of having their gutters cleaned. I've never cleaned the exterior of someones gutters only to finish and have them upset that the gutters shine like new, on the contrary, they more often than not comment on how new they look. Why give them the option to turn down based on price? The only exception to this is if you a very large house with gutters running the entire perimeter (espeically two strory houses).

The only point I'm making is, why give them the option. As long as you thourghly explain how you plan to clean them, and list it on the estimate sheet along with the other house wash details, most will feel like their getting a bonus service for N/C. Besides, it's been my experience on certain occasions that when I try to itemize every little option and detail with a seperate price, it can tend agaravate the prospective customer.

Lance I can see how including it like you do and making the customer aware that is a premium service and that you do not charge for it can be a selling point. I guess I am stuborn because I like to stay competetive with lowballer guys and by offering a silver "wash on wash off" plan customers don't look at me like I am nuts when I tell them a complete house wash is going to cost them $$$$

If the gutters look clean the rest of the house will look like a million bucks.Even though the house is clean ;the first things they notice are the gutters .Theres nothing worse then the customer asking you are the gutters as clean as ya can get them.

For $99.00 we wash the whole house (any size), the garage, deck, driveway, laundry, family pet, Kool Aid stains off yer kid's faces (limit 3), gutters, & the roof. We charge extra for the mail box. Hey ya gotta draw the line somewheres!

For $99.00 we wash the whole house (any size), the garage, deck, driveway, laundry, family pet, Kool Aid stains off yer kid's faces (limit 3), gutters, & the roof. We charge extra for the mail box. Hey ya gotta draw the line somewheres!

Kids and pets... you lowballer!!!!Those are premium services...you know it and should be charging for it.

I actually have an great kid and pet wash recipe but it took me years to fine tune so I won't share it here. There is a "mother in-law" turbo wash that some people request but I don't mess with family matters lol

Seriously I've never washed a house without doing the gutters. Curb appeal is one of the main reasons people get there houses washed.

There are allot of guys around here that do PWing without much knowledge. Numerious times customers have told me that the last few times they had there house powerwashed the previous company said black streaks on gutters can only be lighted but not removed.

I once thought that was true, years ago until I ordered my first 5 gallon bucket of "Gutter Zap". I use a different product now but when I disovered GZ I was able to do what apparently very few companies in my area could. One of the main reasons I grew in this business.

Most customer want there house to look really clean so I don't nickle and dime them to death. I explain what will be done and how it will be done.

Of course I won't include a huge cement driveway or deck wash without giving a seperate price for that. But front walkways, patios etc. are part of the price.

I'm located in South Brunswick NJ and usually get between 295-445 for a house wash.

Does that sound about right from you other East Coast guys?

Dan

Seriously, I get from 250 to 500 here. Gutters are included (soap, brush & wash) Everything else is extra.

Mother in law turbo wash - HILARIOUS!!!! :lgsideway

Seriously, I get from 250 to 500 here. Gutters are included (soap, brush & wash) Everything else is extra.

I think this has a lot to do with the area and conventions regarding "dealing" in your locale. At $250-500, of course gutters are included. At $165 avg price, they are an add-on/upsell. I typically charge 50% of the wash price for gutter brushing, so a basic 2 story vinyl w/ gutters is $240'ish. Now, try and sell the $240 as a package (i.e. not line-item) and you'll lose too many bids to the $119 crowd. It just seems that 2x is just to wide a spread for the homeowner to grasp unless they feel they are getting alot of additional services that are not included in the basic package. Sell $165 premium care against their $119 and you can usually close the deal and 50% of the time you can upsell the gutter cleaning also. Include it and you're selling a housewash at 2x the price and only tossing in a free gutter cleaning. And since gutters are "free", they certainly doesn't hold enough value to warrant 2x the price.

And I'll bet you that same $99 that I can find that deal advertised withing the next 24 hours.

Speaking of lowballers and silos, I have probably lost a bid for 2 silos 80ft tall and 100ft in circumference. I gave a reasonable bid, but there is a competing bid in at less than 1/5 of mine. I'd rather not say exactly how much openly, but suffice it to say that their bid was less than the lift rental alone...