Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Truck prices

HOLY CRAP, have you seen the prices for new trucks:lgbugeyes . I just started looking for another work truck. Im looking for a new 2500. I looked at Dodges diesel & gas. I just want a stripped down work truck, Dodge doesnt really have a stripped down 2500. The Diesel they wany 35K, gas $30K Damn thats alot of money just for a work truck. Its a Hemi, the hell with Hemi just give me a strong 8 cylinder Hemi, Im not going to race at Daytona

I may just have to look for a used, really dont want a used truck. Be looking at Chevy's in next couple days

Man the money they want could choke a horse. Man Im going to have to up my prices on house washes 1000 sq ft or over house New Price $1800 under 1000 sq ft house $1700.00 and concrete $2.00 a sq ft, . That will help me pay for a new truck LOL:lgtear: :lgbonk: :bullistic

JL

Why don't you want to buy used?? Value tanks once it is off the lot, not to mention the fact that employees are going to be using it, even though employees are known for their meticulous maintenance of all things;)

You can get decent prices on Ford 7.3's, look for something around 2000-2002. Don't get a used 6.0, go older (and cheaper) on a 7.3. Or and older used Dodge 5.9 CUmmins. Personallly, I wouldn't get a Ford3/4 ton with the gas motor. The 5.4 gas is a good motor, but only for the 1/2tons.

Wanna know what I'd get if I were you?? Something like an Izuzu and mount all your eq. on the bed, or get an Izuzu/Mitsu box truck (better adv). Employees pulling trailers, IMO, is not a great idea. I don't know anyone that hasn't had problems with that sooner rather than later. Oh, if your eq. is small enough/takes up little enough room, rather than the Izuzu I'd do a 1 ton pickup with flatbed. Any combo has it's pros and cons.

I would buy used as well. Let someone else take the hit with immediate loss of value.

Like Jon said you can get a good used truck at a decent price. I will never buy another new vehicle again. Just my .02.

Mike

I prefer top buy new. I guess I am unusual, but it seems that everytime that I buy a used vehicle that I am spending more money than the payment to keep it running. So I buy a new truck that I like, drive it for a few tousand miles, (Okay, that last one had 170000 on it) then turn it over to employees. The only exception is if it is a specialized piece for a particular contract, then I will buy used, and just run with it.

Scott--

We (at least, I) am not talking about buying an 85' F350 for $2300, I'm talking about buying a used diesel with 100K on it for 15K-20K. Basically spending half of new price. Now, like you said, if you are using it personally, and it is a real "treat" for you to drive a new ride, be my guest. But for a vehicle for you emps to wreck, trash, and smoke in, I'd save a little. I've not looked into leasing, I know some guys think it is great for service biz, but I'm leary. I've got a guy here by me that sells nothing but 7.3L Ford Superduty's, usually has 10 or 20 to choose from....exactly what I like, four doors, 4x4, diesel, air, and all usually have 100K-200K on them.

I agree, your truck depreciates 50% the first 3-4 years. Let someone else pay that depreciation. Look around, Jeff. There are 2002 trucks that look like they just rolled off the lot with 50k miles on them. If you have to have new, lease it. That way you are still only paying the depreciation and you aren't stuck trying to sell a truck in 5 years when you want to upgrade.

I just bought a e-250 03 with 37,000 miles on it. When I started looking at ford dealers I was going to buy new.

They really have a nice contractor package with Racks and bins already installed. I think Weather Guard makes the racks. Cool setups!

But I was looking at the 06 and it looked exactly like an 03 they had. The 03 looked brand new. I mean spotless. I took it for a test drive and I was sold. It doesn't have the contractor package but it does have a cool cargo package that makes the van very quiet inside.

I ended up paying $14000 total for it at 7.1 % interest rate. My monthlies are really low plus I'm not worried about every little ding that might appear in the future. Trust me I wanted something very clean because I'm going to have it lettered pretty nice.

My point is keep an open mind! There really are some great used trucks out there for way less.

Dan

I agree, your truck depreciates 50% the first 3-4 years. Let someone else pay that depreciation. Look around, Jeff. There are 2002 trucks that look like they just rolled off the lot with 50k miles on them. If you have to have new, lease it. That way you are still only paying the depreciation and you aren't stuck trying to sell a truck in 5 years when you want to upgrade.

Ken's right.

www.Truckpaper.com

You all should sign-up. I've been in transportation almost all of my adult life, so I'm a bit of a freak about this. DO NOT BUY NEW RIGS! It is a vanity statement you can do without. Seriously.

Just like finding the right PW equipment or contractor, some research will help. Check out the new units, and then peruse the Truckpaper and online auctions. There is a raft of good, used iron out there. Find a dealer and a rig you like/are comfortable with and haggle. It is just business, so don't let your emotions enter the works.

Even if you aren't currently looking for a new ride, or mule, always be looking, so you know what is motivating the salefolks when the time comes, and so that you know what you are talking about. The truckpaper is a great way to figure out where the line between want and need lies. It also helps to find dealers you've never seen before.

It is a valuable tool, but the last few years I've noticed fewer posted prices. Ebay is helpful in finding the value/price break as well.

Hope this helps!:)

HOLY CRAP, have you seen the prices for new trucks:lgbugeyes . I just started looking for another work truck. Im looking for a new 2500. I looked at Dodges diesel & gas. I just want a stripped down work truck, Dodge doesnt really have a stripped down 2500. The Diesel they wany 35K, gas $30K Damn thats alot of money just for a work truck. Its a Hemi, the hell with Hemi just give me a strong 8 cylinder Hemi, Im not going to race at Daytona

I may just have to look for a used, really dont want a used truck. Be looking at Chevy's in next couple days

Man the money they want could choke a horse. Man Im going to have to up my prices on house washes 1000 sq ft or over house New Price $1800 under 1000 sq ft house $1700.00 and concrete $2.00 a sq ft, . That will help me pay for a new truck LOL:lgtear: :lgbonk: :bullistic

JL

let me know on them prices .ill be on your back lol

Received an ad from a local truck dealer Monday. Says truck prices for '07 models are going to go up $5000-$7000 because of new diesel emission laws. Better buy now Jeff

Received an ad from a local truck dealer Monday. Says truck prices for '07 models are going to go up $5000-$7000 because of new diesel emission laws. Better buy now Jeff

I wonder if that is true or if it is BS to just get you in the door and buy a truck now??

Mike

I hate the thought of buying used truck and something going wrong with it. I bought my 01 dodge new and never had a problem with it in 4 1/2 - 5 years. I dont know if I'll get 4 1/2 months without a problem with a used truck. Alot has to do with me not being very mechanical

I am going to look at used, because I refuse to pay 30K for a work truck and thats all I want it for. Pretty truck is later, Ive had them before.

Thanks for your opinions

JL

Jeff , if you need a good used work truck here are some pic's of a buddies truck he is selling. I just stopped today to take the pic's and put it on ebay or post on a few BB's. It's a 97 F350 4x4 with a 7.3 Power Stroke , 74k , tires are 50% , auto trans. He is only selling it because he doesn't drive it. It just sits in the garage. He just built a new house and wants to build a pole building for his tractor and other equipment. This truck is CLEAN he's asking $15,500

Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture016.jpg