Sign in to follow this  
Mike Stahmer

Estimate Sales Pitch and Strategy

Question

I was curious about others bid/sales strategies for giving estimates for wood care. What's your sales pitch if any? How do yo close? Do you call back after a week or so etc, etc!

Personally, I kind of feel the customer and shoot the sh&***t with them. Ask them about themselves and make them feel comfortable with me. While I'm measuring etc, I let them look at my binder portfolio of pics. I usually go into why there deck looks so bad and how I can professioanlly get it looking good and tell educate them on wood and my techniques sealers etc. My average is about %70 success. I was just curious about others techniques!

34 answers to this question

Pretty much the same for me... just look professional. If its a strip job I always give a demo, Lets them see how clean it will come. Brochures and color sticks for your products also go a long way. Just educate them about the process you use so they think you are the best person to go with.

Mike, that about sums it up. If I am doing an on-the-spot estimate it goes like this:

1) Show up on time, dressed properly.

2) Introduce myself with a smile, looking them in the eye. The first thing they get is a business card.

3) When we get to the deck I ask them some leading questions and listen to their answers so I can determine their expectations. Some of those are:

• Have you ever hired a deck restoration service? (I tell them about PressurePros background, insurance, references etc. I plant my first seed about custom color tinting)

• Do you have any children? (Do I need to sand where little hands will be)

- Be concerned and offer to go above and beyond for someone's children. It goes a long way towards trust.

• Have they ever tried to tackle the job themselves? This usually gets a great reaction where you can throw in "If you're like me, Mr Smith, you'd rather be spending time with your family on a weekend instead of slaving over a deck restoration. I know you're time is more important which is why I'm here. I can take away the maintenance issue so you and your family can just enjoy your deck without worry.

• My first closing statement.. Are we on a timeline, Mr Smith or would you be okay with putting your project into the first available time slot? The reason I ask is, I can save you a bit of money if we aren't trying to fit you in between other scheduled jobs.

4) Next piece of literature is a brochure explaining about wood care. I ask them to feel free to browse through it and also our 'before and after' picture portfolio while I take measurements.

5) When done measuring I ask if there is someplace we can sit down. I explain my findings and then propose a course of action. I try to use layman's terms while explaining the use of detergents over pressure, proper pH balance, deburring etc. My proposal is detailed with a breakdown of prep, sealing and materials with associated costs for each. I like the customer to see that $350 of their estimate is materials and that I am actually charging less for sealer than they would pay for a gallon of Cabot's at a paint store.

This is the pivotal point .....

I keep dialog open and begin to ask for the sale (never yes/no questions):

1) "Mr. Smith, what concerns do you have about having your deck restored? I want to be certain I address all of your questions"

2) "As I mentioned earlier, we us custom color tinting to match your deck to the rest of your property. Which of those before and after pictures really caught your eye?"

- "I agree with you Mr Smith, I am particularly proud of that job. It really came out nicely. That tint would look great on your deck and would match your siding"

3) I pull out my scheduling calendar. "Lets see when we can get out here and restore this deck to like new again. It looks like we are about 2 weeks out. I have Monday the 14th or Wednesday the 16th to begin. Which day is better for you?"

Sometimes I encounter an objection here such as: "I want to get another estimate". This is where 99% of salespeople falter. If you leave here, all you have done is educate the customer and allow a guy with stronger closing skills to come take the job. The key to overcoming objections is to keep the dialogue open.

My reply is, "Mr Smith, you certainly have the right to get another estimate but my concern is for your deck and for those little hands that can get splinters from improper cleaning technique. I know I wouldn't want to roll the dice when it comes to my kids' safety. Not everyone out there relies on low pressure and quality materials to get the job done. I can tell you what I offer is a premium service and it isn't for everyone. If you want your deck to look and feel like it was built yesterday I can do that for you. If you want your deck to look better, last longer and be something you enjoy, I can do that for you."

Then I shut up and wait for his next comment. It is an unexpected pause in the conversation and he knows he now has a decision to make. Hire this guy in front of him whom appears professional, knows his stuff, is confident in what he does and has pictures to back it up or, go through this whole process again with someone whom may not be as qualified.

What would you do?

I'll try to post more objections and overcoming them as this post grows. I would also love to hear how you guys get past the usual homeowner "stalls"

jeez, I feel like hiring Ken to come do my deck!! Great info, as usual. Very well thought out.

....My question is (Ken), what percentage of people that you hard-close like this call to cancel?? What I've noticed for myself is that when I go for the jugular and close on the spot, I have a higher rate of call backs, "we've decided we want to take a little while longer to think about this,". Are you having them sign a contract?? When I get the callback (we've decided to think more....) it is still quite easy to keep them closed, but then your back is against the wall and you have far higher to climb to please them, and I've found sometimes you cannot. They feel guilty about their purchase.

You always have to address buyer's remorse at the end of your sale no matter what you are selling. Make them excited that they hired you. Make them anticipate the results with eagerness.

"Okay, Mr Smith, I'm happy to have you on board as a customer. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I put attention to detail into every job I perform. After the 14th you'll be able to look out your window and see the beauty of restored wood and know that it will last you longer by having us take care of it for you."

I have never had anyone call back to outright cancel a job. In print it seems like a hard sell but there is a bunch of small talk and joking in between the lines. Sales is a bit of an art. I have learned a lot from some excellent mentors. There are still times when someone will surprise you and you will flounder. But by utilizing what I was taught, I have a very good close ratio.

The customer does sign a commitment/contract at the time of sale but I would never bind someone to it.

I am starting to wonder about my approach to estimates. I had a call the other day and a lady wanted an estimate on a pretty big job that included a fence,deck and screen porch in a high end neighborhood.It was late in the day and I was in the area.I knew if I did not stop by soon a hand full of others would be here before me. My schedule was full the enxt day so I went ahead to her house pulling my trailer, mud on my face and tired as heck.I appoligized

for my appearence and she replied if I was clean then I wasnt working. Another company pulled up with their logo on their polo shirt as I typically do on estimates as I was leaving. Two days later I have the job?

I will hire Ken to! Your closing points are great! I would like to here more on that. I have never really closed like that. I usually at " think about it and give me a call". My new strategey will to close it like you! Very nice! I hope this thread will help people out! The most importmant part of wood care is getting the job! Usually when I faulter, it's at the end, I have been taking the approach of " I hope theyunderstand how good I am and realize what I can do for there deck and how better my services are". I need to stop assuming that and get an agreement right there!

Rodney. One way to prepare for that last minute estimate is to carry a change of clothes and a hat with you. I have changed in the truck or restroom somewhere. I don't wash in my sales clothes or they wouldn't last 1 day but I ma prepared to give an estimate pretty much anythime.

Must be something about the dirt in the Carolinas :) Roger has landed more than one estimate because he showed up dirty! It is helpful to let these folks know that you've worked them into your schedule; that they are important enough to you that they don't necessarily have to wait for you to get all spiffed up. It's not a technique we apply to all estimates - I do think that most all of us would prefer to have our best appearance, but in this business, there is nothing wrong with showing people that you are a worker.

Celeste

Just curious, but having done and giving the perseption that you all do decks alot, why measure, my thought is you should already know what to charge or do you do that as a professional thing to make customer think.

It is difficult to just look at a deck and tell what sq footage you have, how much stain you need, how much chemical, and most importantly how much time. Plus, you need something to base your prices on. A concrete company doesnt go to quote a job just by looking at it and not figureing out how much materials they will need, neither should we. I was burned a few times just looking, then i formulated a very detailed estimate formula that takes into account sq footage, height, steps, railings, chemicals needed, stain needed, and any other costs. Now my prices are always right on target. It also lets the customer know exactly where every cent is going. I have pretty much close to 100% closing rate and I think it definitely goes by technique and professionalism.

Rodney--

The reason you got that job is because IT WORKS. I do 90% of my sales in shorts and a Tshirt (read: dirty, holes, caulk, stain) and work boots. I've had customers die laughing at clothes I've been wearing. But.....the reason I do it is because I am more comfortable in that attire, as opposed to a nice outfit. I sell better. And I tell them before I come, that I am just walking off a job, I hope they don't mind (they don't). "I can come over in the next hour, but the thing is, I'll be leaving straight from a job, and I've got on the clothes to prove it (laugh)". So you show up looking like a bum, and blow them away with your intelligence, charisma, character, background, results, and referrals. I close the vast majority of my jobs, and I don't even have a polo shirt with a logo on it. Things work for different people. Like Donald Trump's hair.

Where we are (DC Area) if it is a scheduled appointment, clean is what they get and they pretty much expect it. If it is fit in during the work day, then they get us as we are. Both seem to work. One thing I'll say, is that when they see us clean then meet us when we work, they get a real chuckle out of how different we look. It's always a fun conversation when you tell them the shirt was washed last night....

Beth

For commercial bids, I always wear clean cloths. For residential, I try to schedule it where I can arive in clean cloths, but somtimes conveinience takes priorty. I as well, always prepare them on the phone that I will be a bit dirty, and most really could care less, and they actually seem to appreciate a working man image.

Like Jon, I also prefer to dress comfortable and casual on most estimates. I generally will wear jeans and a tee shirt, but clean if possible. I think I do a much better job at selling my services when I'm comfortable, and I also think my casual appearence puts the customer more at ease. They see me as a professional regarless of whether I wear a polo, hair gel, gold chain, and a half a bottle of cologne to help close the sale.

Monday I made a quote call after a funeral. I don't think they ever had someone that dressed up for a service call. It was a very different responce from " joe public".

I use to have a MGB mint condition. The only time I could drive it was after work on quote calls. Got some weird reactions when I would pull up. They felt better that I looked dirty in a nice car.

My sister had an MGB many many years ago...during her college years. Gosh...I want to say that was the late 60's early 70's... in any event, cute little car, but hers was a hard top, not a rag top. I always loved riding in it.

Beth

I sold cars for a year and I know how to sell I just dont like selling cars god aweful hours. The thing about selling is you have to make them see it, feel it, and own it in your sells pitch. If you dont sell the job and I mean sell it dont just go up there and measure and give them a price. Anybody can do that you have to bulls t with them. While selling cars I have spent a hole day with a single customer selling them a particular car. The point is dont be in a hurry to get somewere else this is how you make money and selling is 50% of the job cleaning is the other 50%. The famous line from my car selling days was LOVE THE ONE YOUR WITH. One more thing to remember in selling is to listen listen listen people love for you to put them up on a pedistal. Give them there 15 minutes of fame and it will pay you more money in the long run.

I closed a $3,500.00 deck last year in my dirty work clothes. I warned her b4 I came and she said she didn't care how I looked. The funny thing was when I got to her house I looked at my reflection in her door window and my face was covered in MUD! Even worse, I had already rung the doorbell! When she answered the door she laughed hysterically at me. Who would have thought mud would be a ice breaker & a closer! I think I'm gonna keep a fresh jar of mud in my truck for the big jobs.

Anyways, the info on closing here is very good for face to face, but, most of the time when I do bids, the cust. is not home. How many of you do follow up calls, and if so, how do you handle them?

Where we are (DC Area) if it is a scheduled appointment, clean is what they get and they pretty much expect it. If it is fit in during the work day, then they get us as we are. Both seem to work. One thing I'll say, is that when they see us clean then meet us when we work, they get a real chuckle out of how different we look. It's always a fun conversation when you tell them the shirt was washed last night....

Beth

Yep. I had a customer that I quoted clean (1hr quote/BS session), and worked as #2 of the day later in the week. The lady kept saying, "Philip said you would do this", "Philip said you wouldn't do that" (not really nagging, just making sure the worker bee's followed up on sales guys comittments). After 2-3 times, I pulled off my hat and said "Mrs. Jones, I am Philip...."

She was very embarassed. Her husband teased her unmercifully about it the rest of the day (big job)