Sign in to follow this  
Mike Stahmer

Estimate Sales Pitch and Strategy

Question

I was curious about others bid/sales strategies for giving estimates for wood care. What's your sales pitch if any? How do yo close? Do you call back after a week or so etc, etc!

Personally, I kind of feel the customer and shoot the sh&***t with them. Ask them about themselves and make them feel comfortable with me. While I'm measuring etc, I let them look at my binder portfolio of pics. I usually go into why there deck looks so bad and how I can professioanlly get it looking good and tell educate them on wood and my techniques sealers etc. My average is about %70 success. I was just curious about others techniques!

34 answers to this question

Jonathan Chiplock,

I respectfully disagree. At this point, you've given this guy a free hour of your time, and for that, you've earned a "touch base" call to see if there is anything you can answer for them, and if they've made a decision to have you do their deck. There is a limit, IMO......if I did an estimate for a deck on a Monday, I might call at 4:00pm Friday afternoon and say, "I thought about our meeting on Monday and........blah......about to go into the weekend, thought you might wanna go ahead and get this scheduled so next weekend you can grill out on a beautiful, cedar-toned deck just like the one you saw on Bailey Rd. It's Friday, whattda say, you ready to get this done???"

....Another thing, people FORGET to call you. I've had many jobs that I called back and said they'd been meaning to call, but 1)forgot, 2) lost number, 3) etc. If you are concerned they'll be rude on a callback, they won't. Not after a face-to-face. I understand your hesitation; you don't want to force yourself on them. But you'll find out 90% of the time they don't mind you contacting them, and most will be happy.

I generally stay away from follow ups simply because i hate to pressure the potential customer. I feel that I have made my sales pitch and if he wants my work he will call. Hounding the guy isnt going to help.

Positively not true. Statistics show that 60% of follow ups are converted. You leaving too much money out there.

I try to do my estimates in the early evening and Sundays. If I cannot meet with the homeowners or in a case where I cannot close the deal, I call back and say, "Mr Smith, Ken Fenner, Pressure Pros. I just wanted to give you a courtesy call and see if you had any questions I could answer for you".

Again, it's about dialog. You know how many times I have heard, "Hi Ken, I'm actually glad you called.."

Listen to Phil Rea's A Close For Every Situation here http://www.marketsharp.com/experts/audio/

You southern guys will love him. There are many recodings on that page that everyone should listen to if you want to make more money this year.

Positively not true. Statistics show that 60% of follow ups are converted. You leaving too much money out there.

I try to do my estimates in the early evening and Sundays. If I cannot meet with the homeowners or in a case where I cannot close the deal, I call back and say, "Mr Smith, Ken Fenner, Pressure Pros. I just wanted to give you a courtesy call and see if you had any questions I could answer for you".

Again, it's about dialog. You know how many times I have heard, "Hi Ken, I'm actually glad you called.."

Dead on. I close a good number of jobs MONTHS later. If they say "not now, wait till spring/payday/next month" I call them back at that time. And if I get a feel that a customer wants it done and there are other situational issues, I may f/u once a month for months.

People are busy. They have many things to on their plate, and sometimes it's a blessing to have the items f/u on you, rather than vice-versa.

I generally stay away from follow ups simply because i hate to pressure the potential customer. I feel that I have made my sales pitch and if he wants my work he will call. Hounding the guy isnt going to help.

Jonathan, I think you misunderstood my ?. - I was asking if you guys do follow up calls on bids left at the customer's home without meeting the customer.

BTW - I always do follow up calls. I have earned the right to do so. Because I -

Paid for the ad

Answered the phone

Qualified the customer over the phone

Answered their questions over the phone

Addressed their concerns over the phone

Shared my valuable knowledge over the phone

Drove to their home

Measured their deck

Inspected their deck

Wrote up a detailed proposal

Left them with a bunch of useful info backed by a lot of thought & experience.

I always make follow up phone calls. when I call I also leave the conversation open where I have a reason to call back again. If some says that are not ready ask when you can call back to check on them. If they say two weeks, call back in two weeks and remind them that they told you to call back in two weeks, it's part of doing what you say you are going to do.

something else that I try to remember is to "always ask for the order"-zig ziglar. he called it AAFTO.

After 2-3 times, I pulled off my hat and said "Mrs. Jones, I am Philip...."

That brings back memories! We have had that too. Puts a smile on your face when it happens every time. :groovy3:

Beth