Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Bleach and wood, revisited...

Question

Ok boys and girls. Lets play nice. Teacher taught us that 'sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me". Well, teacher was wrong. Much of the now infamous cedar and bleach thread was actually informative and a lot of it was entertaining and fun. A shame it turned mean and nasty...

Yaz, your entry on regurgitating beer all over your monitor and keyboard is the highlight of my writing career and will remain a fond memory!

Enough editorial comment, back to business. Yesterday afternoon I spent a lot of time web researching the lignin - bleach connection, specifically in the pulp processing, paper production industry. When I went to post, the thread had been pulled, and my efforts lost. I'll try and reconstruct my findings in this new thread.

-----------------------------------

First, some definitions. The inexpensive, pervasive strippers used on removing finishes from exterior wood, are sodium hydroxide based or in chemspeak, NaOH. Bleach is a generic name for sodium hypochlorite, or NaOCl.

Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is used in processing wood pulp into paper. Others have claimed, and I had assumed was true, is that bleach is used to remove or break the bond between the cellulose and lignin wood fibers early in the pulp process. My findings indicate that this assumption is not true.

Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is the third stage in an up to seven stage process in chemical pulp processing. The first stage (C or substituted CD Stage in the article) is a chlorination step, which is partially quoted below..

"The chlorine reacts with the lignin by:

- substitution

- oxidation

- addition

Oxidation includes reactions with both lignin and carbohydrates. Oxidation of the carbohydrates leads to a decreases cellulose viscosity and decreased pulp strength. Lignin is not removed to a large degree in this stage, and the pulp actually gets darker..."

Key words are "decreases cellulose viscosity and decreased pulp strength".

The second stage (Extraction Stage (E) in the article) involves our old friend, sodium hydroxide (NaOH), that we all use as strippers. Partial quotes from the article as follows:

"The E stage is extraction of degraded lignin compounds, ...", "Chemistry of alkaline extraction

Removal of chlorinated lignin. Chlorination appears to give three types of lignin fragments:...", and further on, "Chlorination and alkaline extraction will remove ~80% of the residual lignin, but the resultant pulp has low brightness due to a relative increase in chromophoric groups. The alkali displaces chlorine and makes the lignin soluble by the reactions such as:

Lignin-Cl + NaOH --------> Lignin-OH + NaCl"

See the NaOH above? That is chemspeak for sodium hydroxide.

The third stage (Hypoclorite Stage (H) in the article) involves sodium hypochlorite or bleach. A few partial quotes...."The H stage consists of bleaching usually with sodium hypochlorite solution (NaClO).", "Since the pH is high, lignin is continuously extracted as it is depolymerized."

I make no claim to being a chemist. Maybe a reader more knowledgeable in the discipline can refute, change, or enlighten us.

To surmise from my admitted limited expertise, I offer the following. Clorination compounds are used to break the cellulose - lignin bond, not bleach. Sodium hydroxide is then used to further breakdown and extract the degraded lignin from the mix. Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is then used to further extract lignin remaining in the mix, after the lignin has gone through two separate processes that has significantly altered its original composition. I emphasize, extract - not destroy, and at this point in the process the lignin in no way chemically like it is in wood.

The full article is found at:

http://www.wmich.edu/ppse/pekarovicova/160999b.html

Related information from other web sites as follows:

A relatively easy read on paper and pulping. Note the sodium hydroxide (NaOH) references. No mention of sodium hypochlorite (bleach, or NaOCl).

http://www.tappiphils.com/about_pulp_and_paper.asp

Some good information on sodium hydroxide and sodium hypochlorite can be found here:

http://www.chemicalland21.com/index.html

Finally, a quote from another web reference..."The paper industry uses the caustic effects of sodium hydroxide on organic materials. Sodium hydroxide breaks down the lignin in wood. Lignin is a binder that holds cellulose fibers together in wood. When the lignin is removed, the freed cellulose fibers can be formed into paper. The digestive effects of sodium hydroxide on organic materials is the principle behind such drain cleaners as Liquid Plumr, which is a concentrated aqueous solution of sodium hydroxide."

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/CHEMWEEK/Cl2&NaOH/Cl2&NaOH.html

Responsible responses are welcomed.

5 answers to this question

I just got back from Staples. I had to replace my keyboard, so please keep your sense of humor in check.............NOT................lol....

Any way,....My interpratation...The article is saying that the chlorine is the real culprit in wood degradation because it is used to weaken the pulp? And the sodium hydroxide (or stripper) extracts (or removes) the now weakened lignin?... Not the sodium hypochlorite (bleach)? I've read the article twice and thats what I'm getting from it..............My questions to anyone are,... whats the dfference between pulp and lignin,.. And,... Aren't chlorine and bleach pretty much the same thing?.........Am I showing my lack of formal education here?..........YAZ

Stephen Andrews

POWER WASHING

HOME & PROPERTY

CARE & MAINTENANCE

They are both strong oxidizing agents but not the same chemical.

The sudonym - Bleach is a sodium hypochlorite solution in water.

Chlorine is also known as Bertholate and Dichlorine which starts as a gas.

A combination of chemicals utilizes chlorine to make bleach.

Bleach means literally 'to whiten or remove color'.

Rod!~

Hey Yaz,

Sorry about the keyboard. Spilled Heineken's have ruined two of mine and a cable modem over the years.

Your interpretation is similar to mine, with one exception. From what I can understand, chlorine is used to make bleach, but is not in bleach. The description and formula in the first article is...

"Sodium hypochlorite, which is now used since it leads to less scaling, is made from chlorine as follows: Cl2 + 2 NaOH --------> NaOCl + NaCl + H2O"

In other words chlorine (Cl subscript 2) plus 2 NaOH (sodium hydroxide?, I'm not sure) on the left side of the equation produces (the -------> symbol) sodium hypochlorite (bleach or NaOCl), sodium cloride (I think that is what NaCl is) and water (H subscript 2 O). Cloride (Cl) is not chlorine (Cl subscript 2) which I believe can only exist as a gas. I will readily admit that I'm out of my league here concerning chemistry.

Pulp is basically ground up wood, (heartwood and/or softwood) from a tree, probably without bark, and moistened, probably with water. The word "slurry" may be appropriate or how about "moistened cellulose fibers".

Cellulose is the mass of cells in the wood, lignin is the organic compound that binds the cells together. As far as I know...

It would be very helpful if a chemist would look over the citations I provided and give us an informed laymen level interpretation.

Until corrected, I contend that a bleach mix for cleaning wood does not "destroy" lignin, or in other words, separates the cellular structure of the wood. Sodium hydroxide (ie: stripper) possibly does some damage, and chlorine is a killer.

I will not even begin to pretend I understand the chemistry, I will only speak of real world experience. The bleach changes the characterisitcs of the way the wood accepts color. I have had a couple of situations where I used a percarb product to strip a very worn sealer. In one spot, underneath an overhanging tree there was heavy mold growth. I mistakenly cleaned only that area with bleach (diluted to maybe 2%). That area showed up very prominently after sealing. The sealer used was Deckscapes, semi-trans, oil, Cedar Bark tint. Three months later not only did that area still appear differently toned it was also markedly faded. The entire deck was treated with oxalic after I did the spot treatment. I chalked it up to user error after reading so much about bleach being used by some of the good deck resto guys here..

Forward to last season. I decided to give it a try again. Older pressure treated (CCA) lumber. Did the entire deck in bleach about 4% dilution. Sealer was Sikkens SRD. The best word I can describe the finish is "blotchy". Uneven absorption.

I am not quoting science but instinct. Bleach imparts unnatural whitening to the wood. Is it any more or less harmful to the wood? I don't know. Both camps have valid arguements. I think it comes down to learning technique. Though I cannot figure out what I could have done wrong (maybe I should not have neutralized the bleach?) I have to figure I did something incorrectly. Another train of thought is the type of finish applied determines the final results after using bleach to "clean" a deck..