Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Workers Comp rates

Whats everyone paying for Workers Comp and do you know the code your listed under?

Me & my insurance agent are having a battle with the carriers of South Carolina comp.

I dont have handy the actual codes comp goes by, but my agent used to list PW companies under a certain code# and the discription stated building maintenance, window washing etc etc and it cost a little over $5.00 per $100. Now I had a different agent carrier last year and I was paying just over $13.00 per $100 and I was listed under a different code, but the discription was "concrete construction" ???? but if you look further into the decription for Concrete Constuction it says building washing.

My newest agent who listed under the $5.00 rate was told to change that isnt for PWing of buildings and now he has to charge the higher rate & code. I spent some time in his office and he made a few calls and the agency that governs the codes said he has to go under the Concrete Construction one, its the only one that says building washing.

Now concrete construction is a much higher risk, alot of the discription states buildin of walls, pile driving etc etc much riskier than washing a condo.

Now the WC company I just left is doing the annual audit on me and the lady doing it called and asked me some basic questions, then she called back and asked why Im under the code for concrete construction and I stated that we dont think its right but thats what we've been told we have to go under and I told her if you look further into the description for that code you'll see it states building washing.

She said its a lot higher risk factor concrete construction and she said she was going to check into it further. She called yesterday and said the code was the only code that states building washing and she was told we are in the right & only code.

Now everybody agrees that PWing isnt concrete costruction but thats what I'm stuck with. The rate under that code varys depending if your in assigned risk or not but its from $12.51 to $13.88 per $100

My question is whats everybody else paying is it arounf $12-$14 or much lower???

I'm going to try to research it more but just dont have the time. Basically they dont have a code for just PWing and Im stuck paying what I'm paying and it sucks. I'm paying almost $5500 this year

JL

Jeff thats pretty cheap,in Florida I am under the same code as a painter.I pay about $16 dollars per hundred.So count your blessings and raise your rates to cover it.The $5 dollar per hundred is close to secretary rates here thats dirt cheap.Just be glad your not a roofer! I would keep quiet about all those high rises you do if they found out They might not cover you under that same code.

Jeff, 12.8 % here in GA for residential painting. You're right in the ball park. My friend in Dallas pays 40% for WC on his window cleaning business, hi rise.

I'm also surprised you were ever at 5%, seems way low. Just think, a 10% raise in your labor cost, which should only start at 30% or so, is just a 3 % raise in your gross price to cover it. Most just raise rates the 12% to cover the hassle, and push it more in their marketing....

Just don't forget to pay in regularly...

Jeff, consider yourself really lucky. I tried to get w/c here in Louisiana, not one single company will even write it. W/C here in Louisiana is some of the highest rates in the country. I have lost many thousands of $$$ because I don't have w/c. I lost several large $ jobs because I couldn't even get w/c on myself. Lawyers suck! General Contractors pay out the a$$ here in LA. My buddy told me that he pays like $28 - $32 / $100.

Jeff thats pretty cheap,in Florida I am under the same code as a painter.I pay about $16 dollars per hundred.So count your blessings and raise your rates to cover it.The $5 dollar per hundred is close to secretary rates here thats dirt cheap.Just be glad your not a roofer! I would keep quiet about all those high rises you do if they found out They might not cover you under that same code.

that's interesting, I callled the Florida Comp people to get an idea of what PWing fell under, and they told me it was under the concrete construction code, as well as a few others, but I can't remember what what they were now, but they were all construction codes.

Anyone seen any of the Deadlist Catch series on the Discovery Channel? Imagine what they pay in Workers Comp. Allthough, I guess when you bring in a half a million in crab in a weeks time, it doesn't really matter. I couldn't beleive what the deck hands made, one of the boats had a really good pull, and the deck hands share came out to around 27,000 a piece...for a weeks worth of work. Crazy, but I guess when you have to cross your fingers every time that you'll make it home in one piece, or make it home at all, it's well deserved.

I guess its about right then.

I used to be able to get a rider on my policy for the tall stuff, not as of last month, my agents working on something so I can keep doing them, if I want. I just passed on 3 bids for high rises because of it.

I got plenty of work to cover the cost of WC its just that my agent said it shouldnt be under concrete construction. Its just been a shock paying all the taxes & comp on 3 fulltime guys & myself. I pay what I have to and dont mind, just want to get the best rates

Insurance agents must be confused.I have had several tell me you fall under janitorial,I have had most tell me I fall under a painters code because there is not a code for pressure washing. I guess they consider a painter as being in the construction industry. Wow Ron 8% is still very cheap.

In florida we are under 3 codes. Roofing, sidewall cleaning and deck work.

Its a big clerical pain in the @$$.

$12 per 100 for the deck work

$22.50 per 100 for the washing of the building sides

$35 per 100 for the roof

You are audited at the end of the year and they ask what % of X was roofing and then they adjust... and so on.