Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

Big oops! What should I do?

Question

I embarrased to say that I shot a nozzle through vinyl siding not once but twice today. I have a new machine. I have done this before with my old machine but it never left a hole in the siding. Told the guy that I will fix it or have it fixed and the other house was my inlaws so I know they will be ok as long as I fix it. I never hung siding so my question is; Can I remove and replace a piece of siding without removing others? Also I am worried that I will not find the exact match. Has anyone ran in to this problem before and can give me some advice? I have always made sure that I am not pointed at a window when I squeeze the trigger but always at the house that way if the nozzle comes off it will not be lost. I guess now I will just shoot it away from the house and take the lost.

21 answers to this question

It is not to tough to replace a broken piece. You will need to get a couple of special tools to do it. Do a google search on it and you will find step by step instuctions. Your biggest challenge will be to match the color. For example, clay by one manufacture is not exaclty clay by another. However, once you find the manufacturer, you should be good.

My question is why is the nozzle shooting off ? I've never had one come off. Are you checking to make sure it's seated all the way in ? I'm guessing you are using quick connects.

I think most of us have lost one at one time or another. The collar on the q/c isn't out and locked around the tip. Always check it when changing tips. If you can see the spring or ball bearings on the q/c, you aren't locked and ready to pull the trigger.

Yes, you can change one piece of siding if you need to, I hung siding for a couple of years when I was younger, get a zip tool and it makes it easier. New vinyl won't match perfectly with old vinyl even if it's the same color, due to sun fading.

Done that plenty of times, but not hitting the house. As a rule, and now as habit, I always engage the gun away from the house or anything else that can be damaged. Actually, I do it more becuase of the pressure burst when I first hit the trigger. Funny how it always seems to happen to the tip I don't have a replacement for on the truck. :rolleyes:

Find an inconspicuous place on the house. Remove a piece of siding and replace it with the new one. Take the old weathered siding and replace the damaged piece.

Shooting the tip across the yard is a familiar thing.When changing a tip, I point it away from everything and now have gotten in the habit of pointing it down to the ground so I can find the tip. It happen the other day.And for those that are familiar with shooting a tip what else gets shot out of the quick connect. Yep the oring and me with out a replacement that day. Aint that a B!+<#.

Find an inconspicuous place on the house. Remove a piece of siding and replace it with the new one. Take the old weathered siding and replace the damaged piece.

I think you saw the same episode of that home repair show on PBS

This Old House....:D

Among my crew, they have lost a number of tips and o'rings. I have shot out a couple in my earlier days and got into the habit of double checking that the collar is locked. It will rotate if it is.

What amazes me is that the tip broke through the vinyl.

Dayum!

Rod!~

Patrick

how have you been. Is you buisness starting to take off. If you are ready for some clients let me know. I have had to turn down a couple of jobs locally that were needed asap due to houses going on the market.I have been busy and just could not get to them.I have a feeling with the green stuff kick'n in this weekend it may slow down for a week or so.

hard to explain how to replace siding in words but here it goes. Cut the damaged piece in half the linear way, with the new piece, cut the locking lip off the top, slide it in place and you have to use pin nails to secure it. Like someone stated earlier, do a search. hope this will help. if not, give me a call as i have done some siding. 715-308-4941.

I think you saw the same episode of that home repair show on PBS

This Old House....:D

I missed that one, but that was one of my shows so I must have inherited some of that "New Yankee" spirit!

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I lucked out on the first house because they had the builders sheet with the siding companies name and product number for the siding. I just need to get a hold of them and get a new piece. Installation looks fairly easy with a zip tool. The house is only a few years old so there shouldnt be any fading. My inlaws house is going to be a different story because their house is 20+ years old and I assume there is fading. I will figure something out. It was good to hear some responses so quickly. Thanks.

Just make sure when you install the new piece of siding that you don't sink the nails to tightly. That siding has to have the ability to expand and contract. There are two directions that the siding can be too tight. If you pull up on the nail strip too tight when installing, or sink the nail in too far the siding can't move. Sink the nail in, in the center of the elongated holes, and leave the head away from the vinyl 1/8". Once you have completely installed it, and snapped the top piece in to the new piece, you should still be able to slide the siding left/right pretty easily. Too tight and it'll buckle in high summer heat.

Matt

Don't cut the piece linearly and face nail it, it will look obvious. There is a siding removal tool that will allow you to "pop" the bottom lip of the piece of siding out of the groove of the piece above it. Take the nails out of the piece you are removing and pop it loose from the piece below it. Replace it, nail like Able Hands said, and use the palm of your hand to secure the grooves back together.