Sign in to follow this  
kyle

winter time work

Question

What does evryone do for work when its below freezing?

I live in northwest Illinois where it gets below zero.

What kind of work can you do. I assume staing decks and even house washing is out of the question.

Beth talked about washing boats that were cacked with ice.

Im sure this is few and far between.

I look forward to any respones.

34 answers to this question

The same thing I do in summer, concrete cleaning.

Winter in the West is not nearly half of what you people in the Mid West and East get, oh and you Southern people too!

You save all the money you make working Saturdays and Sundays in the summer (like a squirrel saves nuts), then you head for the Keys, where there are plenty of campgrounds if noone will take you in. The weather never gets too cold so you only need swim trunks, a dozen t-shirts and a couple of flip-flops and a bicycle with a lock. If you run low on money, food is no problem as long as you have a fishing pole. If you catch a bunch, you can sell it to one of the restaurants. Bartending is an option, but befriending one is even better as it is easier getting free drinks that way. If you know how to play an instrument and can sing (singing is optional) you can get a job at any one of the 200 bars, or work the streets (as long as you stay away from Duval and Front because that's my corner). At sunset you can perform at the pier (as long as you stay away from the ship walk path because that's my spot). There are about a dozen other ways to make money down there but I don't want to give away all my secrets.

If you decide to stay up north thru the winter, fleet washing is year round, as is flatwork, and new construction (masonry cleaning). Indoor work can be had if you have hood cleaning knowledge. Furniture refinishing can help you survive the winter (similar principle as deckwork, sort of). If painting is up your alley, it can get you thru the winter, although competition is fearce.

Part time jobs are always an option to help augment the slow periods.

Tony,

Key West is the remodeling capitol of the world. You do not hear the sounds of a pressure washer, but after a while the sound of the circular saw gets about as annoying.

Everett,

I've been known to crack a few.

Remember, it can be hazardous sitting under the coconut tree.

I love the keys idea, I grew up in Clearwater Fl. Key West has a lottt of people light in the loafers so I think I would try one of the middle keys Like Marathon or Islamarada :cool: But my wife would never let me spend my winter there witout her So I ll just stay in Missouri and keep working on my degree in the winter.

Guest rfitz

Here in St. Louis, we only have about 12 weeks of freezing weather,

If you play your cards right, and invest, save, you should be able to

coast those 12 or so weeks, and enjoy, take a trip, cruise etc..

Who wants to work 52 weeks a year ? Who Needs To ?

Rfitz,

Who wants to work period! I just want to rake the cash in and let others do the work!

Now that is living.

Oh never been to the Keys let alone the bug state:)

Windows and awnings seem to go hand in hand out West. if you offer one might as well learn the other and have an add on service year round.

come the first of year going to add awning care .have a friend who is chemical eng. has develop a chemical to stop the growth of mold and mildew so he says yet to try it. reason for wating till first of year fixing to have neck sugery. just as soon as ins.compay aproves it ,you know how workmans comp is. so everyone keep on posting on the boards.

Guest rfitz

I had a fusion last april, 2002 C5 C6 with a titanium plate put in,

also had rotator cuff tear, surgery june 2002 took about 1 year to get back to around 70% but recieved a huge award, a coke driver rear ended me doing 60 MPH

Well, we work in the winter, but it depends on the temperature, of course. Most of our winter work is our regular commercial customers, but, if it's going to be below freezing, we obviously don't want to freeze up their equipment, parking lots, etc. Nor do we want to chance freezing up our pumps and equipment getting to the job site. It always seems though, that we'll get some inside jobs where we can take our equipment, or some other sort of work comes in.

As far as awnings are concerned, we started doing these a few years ago, and it's a good part of business to get into. Not only do we clean and seal, we take them down, store them, and put them back up in the spring.

Sometimes in winter as long as its above freezing ill do poultry house wash downs(nastiest job on face of planet but its ok when you have nothing else to do). Also do some truck washing and new masonry as well as new home washing for my usual contractors. Its not spring or fall but it still pays the bills and keeps some money rolling. If temp dips below freezing I stay home and plan, do maintenance on all my gear. I learned along time ago to make sure and put enough away to get through 3 months or so of no or little work. I don't go into winter without a decent amount in the account to get through the tough the tough times.

I definately agree with having money put back to get you through the winter months with no problems. I personally keep enough cash on hand in a savings account, at all times, to operate for 3 months at least.

Wynn,

Where in Ga. are ya from???I had a fusion at C4/C5 in march 2002.I returned to work 2 times for a total of 6 weeks,spent 18months on comp before my employer decided to settle.I'm about 85 to 90 % now,but I still have days that I'm stiff.Do everything your Doc tells you to,and be sure to have him send you to therapy.Good luck.

i just got back from Key West,and Miami last week,the 3 hrs i spent on south beach in Miami was far better than the 6 days i spent in Key West.

i walked every inch of Duval St. and spent a lot of time in the various bars...i do not like the bar scene( at home or on vacation)....and didnt see much of that area that would be as popular as people boast.

$350-$530 a night for a run down hotel and $50 to park not to mention a 16 hour drive there and back.

Please tell me what i missed in Key West because i didnt like it...

Tim:

There's some great beaches and diving there, but I didn't like the touristy part of Key West. Bars and gift shops. You can find some cool stuff in some of the shops (like the Key West Wine Shop), but after the first few hours, there's nothing to do. Personally, I like Marathon much better, and if you like diving, Bahia Honda is awesome and just around the corner. I could definitely spend a week in Marathon, but not Key West.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Key West has changed drastically over the past 10 years and has become a full time tourist city. Tourism at one time was seasonal, so the locals had a chance to recouperate.

Yes, Hotels and Motels are outrageously priced at high season or special events (not cheap other times). Holiday Inn beachside has better prices and facilities along with the Hampton Inn a couple miles down the road. Home prices are outrageous also. A house sold 8 years ago for $300K is now priced over $1M.

Key West is not the best for beaches - all the sand there is imported from the Bahamas and Bimini. Lot of choral and rocks when the sand washes away. A lot of the land areas are man made. The best beach is at Bahia Honda (as far as I'm concerned). But there are 3 beaches - Higgs, Smathers and the one by Fort Taylor

If you don't like the bar scene and water activities, Key West is not for you. However, there are many interesting things in Key West, but you have to go off the beaten path to enjoy some of those. Duval is the beaten path.

Here are some tourist attractions:

- Hemmingways House

- The Fogarty House

- Audobon House & Garden

- The Curry Mansion

- The Southern Most House

- Southernmost Point

- Cigar makers shotgun houses

- San Carlos Institute

- Custom House

- Aquarium

- The Key West House

- Bahama Houses

- Casa Marina

- East Martello Tower

- West Martello Tower

- Mel Fishers museum (treasures from the Atocha)

- Sunset at the Pier (all the performers at Mallory Square)

- The lighthouse

- The Maritime museum

- City Cemetary

- Ols town

- Captain Tony's

- Sloppy Joe's

- Fort (Zachary) Taylor

- Off shore racing of Power Boats

- Fantasy Fest

- Cuban cigar makers (there is probably only 1 shop left in town)

- Gumbay festival

- Spring break

- Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville restaurant, bar and giftshop

- Great view from the top of the La Cancha (Holiday Inn Rooftop)

- Snorkeling, diving and sailing

- Deep sea fishing

- The Conch train

- Fort Jefferson at the Dry Tortugas

- Garrison Bight - charterboats display their days catch

- Shrimp boats at Carolina & Margaret streets

Key West has some great history

- Wrecking days (salvaging cargo)

- Sponging

- The overseas railroad (Flagler's train)

- Von Cosel - Story of Elena Hoyos (the doctor that revived his dead fiance)

- Shrimping (the huge pink shrimp find near Tortugas)

- Off shore fishing

- Cigar makers and the shotgun houses

- Homes (if you appreciate architecture)

- Rum running between Key West and Cuba

- Cemetary (one specific is the memorial to the battleship "Main")

For good food I would recommend:

- Cuban restaurants - there are at least 3 good family owned restaurants in town. (Cibonare, El Cacique, Le Lichonare. El Cibonay) - don't quote me on the spelling

- Search for the best Key Lime pie

- Search for the best Conch Chowder

Driving up and down the keys can also be fun.

- Check out the Key Deer on Big Pine.

- Bahia Honda - beach, snorkeling, diving, sailboarding

- The 7 mile bridge

- John Pennekamp National Park (great diving & snorkeling).

- Sugarloaf has a dolfin sanctuary next to the lodge/restaurant.