Sign in to follow this  
CB works

spot treating with oxalic question

Question

I did my first driveway this past weekend. The driveway was 20 years old and had never once been cleaned. Needless to say it was as black as night. With hot water, Whisper Wash Classic and no chems (bad drainage and the owner was concerned about his grass), the job looked great. There were a few light rust stains that were exposed after the mold was removed. The homeowner was so blown away by how bright his driveway was he didn’t even mention the rust. Knowing the rust stains should come off with some oxalic acid I want to go back and get them up. My question is, can I spot treat the light rust stains? I’m not sure that if the area I spot treat will change in color from the rest of the driveway. I don’t want to have to go back and do the whole thing again just for a small light rust stain. The other question I have is about the light spots in the concrete (see picture). The owner said that it was something he used while he was washing his car, and it dripped onto the driveway. Is that a bleached spot? Is there anything I can do about it? Any help would be great. Thanks,

Christian

post-1620-137772154138_thumb.jpg

24 answers to this question

Thanks guys!

Armor All?? I wonder if you could spray some of that stuff all over the driveway and make the whole thing that light, Wouldn't that be cool.

Roger,

Is there a place around here that I could get some SafeRestore, or is that something I need to order. Being that the rust spots are far from the grass would I have to worry about burning it if I rinse well?

Christian

I don't know where you can get it down there. You want burn the grass, by the time the chems reach the grass they will be diluted. You can soak the ground that you think the runoff will go, that will help also.

Roger

Thanks for the info, That site has just what I was looking for. I also want to pick up some NMD80 from there for a new construction brick job I have lined up for next week. The only problem is is that there's lots of copper flashing on the house. Does anyone know an easy way to protect the copper other than tapeing and covering it with plastic, or am I just going to have to pay my dues on this one?

Christian

speaking of safe restore and copper. I have been asked if I can clean the green run off of copper awnings at a strip mall. The green is on the concrete and runs down the side of the brick. Is any one familiar with this.

If you spot clean with Oxalic, plan on getting lighter patches much like the white spots in that picture. Those spots are an Armor All like product and I have yet to get it out, or hear of someone who has.

I've been told it is tire dressing. I've run into it every once in a while, and the stuff doesn't come up. I'm sure there ARE things that will get it up, but are likely cost-prohibitive. The stuff is waterproof too. Much more noticeable when wet.

SafeRestore will remove the green runoff from the copper awning. I'm not sure about the brick, but we have used it on a driveway and it removed it completely. We used it full strength, two applications with about 10 min. dwell each application.

On concrete I would never just spot clean with Oxalic. It just leaves to light of spots and the rest of the driveway will look bad. Never had a problem with Ox hurting grass unless you spill it straight, then just dilute it.

I Xjet ox on and like the pictures below it takes 5 minutes to apply, about a 5 gallon mix tops, its a great money maker and the customer is always amazed

I get Ox for $42 a 55 lb bag of powder and mix it it 4lbs to a 5 with warm water. Less than 5 bucks in chem and i charge for a driveway like below $35-$50 just for the rust removal and about $80 for the cleaning

I love Ox I use hundreds of lbs of it a year, They say it can make you sterile breathing it, tell that to my pregnant wife LOL

I've been told it is tire dressing. I've run into it every once in a while, and the stuff doesn't come up. I'm sure there ARE things that will get it up, but are likely cost-prohibitive. The stuff is waterproof too. Much more noticeable when wet.

I went back to go and take a look at the driveway today, and now that its completely dry, you’re right, you don’t even notice the spots.

On concrete I would never just spot clean with Oxalic. It just leaves to light of spots and the rest of the driveway will look bad. Never had a problem with Ox hurting grass unless you spill it straight, then just dilute it.

I Xjet ox on and like the pictures below it takes 5 minutes to apply, about a 5 gallon mix tops, its a great money maker and the customer is always amazed

I get Ox for $42 a 55 lb bag of powder and mix it it 4lbs to a 5 with warm water. Less than 5 bucks in chem and i charge for a driveway like below $35-$50 just for the rust removal and about $80 for the cleaning

I love Ox I use hundreds of lbs of it a year, They say it can make you sterile breathing it, tell that to my pregnant wife LOL

I’ve definitely decided against spot treating with the oxalic. Being that the rust spot seems to have come from a car that had been parked there for a while, and the stains are very light, I have ordered some Safe Restore and want to give it a try on the spot it’s self. It’s a good thing these folks are friends of my parents and they are letting me experiment on their driveway. If it looks funny when I’m done I did go by JBS today and picked me up a 50lb bag.

The main reason I got the oxalic for now is to remove this huge rust stain off of this house where the A/C unit has been dripping onto the ground and splashing onto the siding causing a nasty dark red spot there. He said he has been trying to get the spot out for years and he couldn’t find anything that would work. Hopefully I can show up with the ox and be a hero!!

As far as going sterile, I have my little three year old guy that keeps me really busy and my wife and I have just found out 2 weeks ago that there's another one on the way. So I don’t think it would be such a bad thing if something like that was to happen. It would be a lot cheaper than a vasectomy.lol

On the tire dressing spots try some Jasco "Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover." Wet the concrete first, put on some product and lightly work it in the concrete with a #1 steel wool. Make sure to rinse off the product before it dries.

I've had some excellent results in reversing the stains.

Yup, no question 2 is it. With two kids, pay check job, and new pressure washing endeavor. I would explode if I had a 3rd.

Hey, I live off of Forestbrook. I haven't seen your trailer parked for what seems like months now. Man you must be busy.

Congratulations on your success,

Christian

Craig,

Thanks for the info. Depending on the price, I want to give that stuff a try. I'm sure that this home owner isn' the only one around here with these stains on his driveway. How often do you run into this problem?

Yup, no question 2 is it. With two kids, pay check job, and new pressure washing endeavor. I would explode if I had a 3rd.

Hey, I live off of Forestbrook. I haven't seen your trailer parked for what seems like months now. Man you must be busy.

Congratulations on your success,

Christian

We'll be neighbors soon, Im building a house off Forestbrook, planters creek.

Biz is good

If you need any info or help you can call me days 446-5931

We'll be neighbors soon, Im building a house off Forestbrook, planters creek.

Biz is good

If you need any info or help you can call me days 446-5931

Hey neighbor, Thanks alot for the offer. I'm sure I will be calling you soon.

The fine folks over at Carolina Prowash (Thanks Roger and Celeste) have been holding my hand lately. I love the wood work they do. It's just that the more I learn, the more questions I have. And Heaven knows they are too busy to be fielding all the questions I am going to have over the next....well, who knows how long. But knowing them, they would make the time (really nice people).

Thanks again,

Christian

Hey neighbor, Thanks alot for the offer. I'm sure I will be calling you soon.

The fine folks over at Carolina Prowash (Thanks Roger and Celeste) have been holding my hand lately. I love the wood work they do. It's just that the more I learn, the more questions I have. And Heaven knows they are too busy to be fielding all the questions I am going to have over the next....well, who knows how long. But knowing them, they would make the time (really nice people).

Thanks again,

Christian

I dont know wood like Roger & Celeste but I know some and as for PWing I know enough to help you if you need it and I might be able to give you a hand and throw you some residential work if you'd like. Call me Monday I have about 6 homes to do, driveways and a couple small condo buildings if your around we could show you a thing or 2

JL

I dont know wood like Roger & Celeste but I know some and as for PWing I know enough to help you if you need it and I might be able to give you a hand and throw you some residential work if you'd like. Call me Monday I have about 6 homes to do, driveways and a couple small condo buildings if your around we could show you a thing or 2

JL

Too cool,

What time do you guys start? I will go in super early at my other job so I can get with you guys when you start, or soon after.

Too cool,

What time do you guys start? I will go in super early at my other job so I can get with you guys when you start, or soon after.

Call me around 7am, we have a 1/2 a roof to do 1st thing in the morning also, guys will be hear at 7am and we'll be cleaning shortly after that. I live right at 544 & 17 bypass

446-5931

JL