Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

experimental roof wand

Experimental roof wand refined. bought some different plumbing and decreased the weight to about 4 ounces. I used all nylon fittings on this one, and I also found that adjusting the tips with a slight angle (top side tips a little inward, like an up side down V) seems to cover a little better.

post-497-137772154723_thumb.jpg

Experimental roof wand refined. bought some different plumbing and decreased the weight to about 4 ounces. I used all nylon fittings on this one, and I also found that adjusting the tips with a slight angle (top side tips a little inward, like an up side down V) seems to cover a little better.

Looks good! Now it just needs a name! How about a "Powell Wand"? :eek:

heres my roller pump set up. I have it mounted on 1x4s so I can move it in and out. As for flow, I keep it just above idle, with the bypass wide open. With a 1/16th barb on a nozzle QC i can get to the peak of a high one story roof. I use a 40013 nozzle for when im up on the roof and need a wide angle spray. A soap tip works well too.

also, every time i use it, after rinsing, I put a couple ounces of 30W oil in the intake to lube the rollers.

post-4622-137772154861_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772154889_thumb.jpg

heres my roller pump set up. I have it mounted on 1x4s so I can move it in and out. As for flow, I keep it just above idle, with the bypass wide open. With a 1/16th barb on a nozzle QC i can get to the peak of a high one story roof. I use a 40013 nozzle for when im up on the roof and need a wide angle spray. A soap tip works well too.

also, every time i use it, after rinsing, I put a couple ounces of 30W oil in the intake to lube the rollers.

I am so glad I don't use the roller pump set-up anymore it started out OK but turned into a nightmare.I started using 1 a month and I flushed and lubricated after every use.Then I found another pump but it turned out to be worse and more expensive than the roller pump. Finally after several hours doing research and calling JOHN BLUE in Alabama.They told me of a pump they were prototyping that they think would meet my needs.They were right.It is a diaphragm pump.The housing is made from a hastelloy material,the diaphragm is a viton material that chlorine will not deteriorate.That was OVER A YEAR ago and this thing is still kickin like Van Damm with no problems what so ever. I was privledged to test this pump for them.I talked to them today and have cleaned OVER 500 roofs with it and no problems.attachment.php?attachmentid=2629&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1143374994attachment.php?attachmentid=2630&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1143374994attachment.php?attachmentid=2631&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1143374994

thats a great pump, but the cost is outragous! If your doing that many per month, its oubviously worth the cost, but for those of us who do a fraction of that, the roller pump suffices. I plan on upgrading if I get to a certain level.

Here is what we have a MC-16 Comet/Unico pump. Its not to bad.

What are the specs on that pump, and what did it cost you?

thats a great pump, but the cost is outragous! If your doing that many per month, its oubviously worth the cost, but for those of us who do a fraction of that, the roller pump suffices. I plan on upgrading if I get to a certain level.

That's kind of where I'm at...After spending the money on a new machine and trailer, along with all the accessories that go along with it, I'm having a hard time justifying that kind of money at this point. The roller pump worked great today, did a 3500 sf roof in about 20 minutes..using the shurflo would have taken me closer to an hour given how heavy the algae was on parts of it. What a HUGE difference!

Hello Mike, Did you use the Roller pump to apply chems and rinse or just rinse? What kind of gpm and pressure do you think you have with it? I was thinking of the same thing for rinsing large concrete areas that take forever with a pressure washer. Do you have any pics? Do you run it at idle or did you get the gear reducer to rev up the engine? Thanks.

Hello Mike, Did you use the Roller pump to apply chems and rinse or just rinse? What kind of gpm and pressure do you think you have with it? I was thinking of the same thing for rinsing large concrete areas that take forever with a pressure washer. Do you have any pics? Do you run it at idle or did you get the gear reducer to rev up the engine? Thanks.

I used it to apply and to rinse. I'm getting about 4gpm and 150psi out of it, and that is almost too much flow. I applied from the roof on this one, since it was a rather large and complicated roof, so would have taken a lot longer trying to shoot from the ground or a ladder, and the pitch was pretty easy.

This wouldn't give you any more flow for rinsing, and less psi, but there ARE roller pumps that put out quite a bit higher flow, but not sure how that'd work as far as water supply goes.

There doesn't seem to be any difference in flow and pressure whether I run at idle speed or full speed, so I ran it at idle speed.

Hello Mike, When you were rinsing this house did the roller pump put out enough pressure to rinse good or did it need more pressure? I am wondering if I just got a bigger orifice nozzle for my 5.6gpm 3000psi machine so I could rinse roofs better and reduce my pressure so the water is not atomized so much and more is directed onto the surface at reduced pressure. I was thinking on a size 12 or larger but do not know what size that the water would start coming out at a flow that would be worthless. Anybody try this before? This way it would be safe to rinse asphalt shingles without worrying about blasting off the granules. Any comments? Thanks.

I am wondering if there is a place that sells a 36" or 48" water broom for use with pressure washers so you can clean a wider path like when rinsing roofs. Does anybody know of a site that sells these? Thanks.

Hello Mike, When you were rinsing this house did the roller pump put out enough pressure to rinse good or did it need more pressure? I am wondering if I just got a bigger orifice nozzle for my 5.6gpm 3000psi machine so I could rinse roofs better and reduce my pressure so the water is not atomized so much and more is directed onto the surface at reduced pressure. I was thinking on a size 12 or larger but do not know what size that the water would start coming out at a flow that would be worthless. Anybody try this before? This way it would be safe to rinse asphalt shingles without worrying about blasting off the granules. Any comments? Thanks.

We don't use any pressure to rinse, but yes, the pump put out enough flow to rinse with. Normally I'd rinse from the ground with a garden hose. Before I was shown this method, I'd rinse from the roof with a #25 tip on a 5.5gpm machine, so I was using very little pressure. The point to rinsing is to remove the chlorine, not to blast any algae off the roof, so you need volume, not pressure.

Thanks Mike,

I am going to set up something similar and try it out. Is your roller pump the cast iron, or the better quality pumps? I am going to set up a pressure relief valve so when I am not spraying it will bypass to the tank. Are you using the "Phelps Wand" out of pvc or regular wand? Thanks for the help and info.

Thanks Mike,

I am going to set up something similar and try it out. Is your roller pump the cast iron, or the better quality pumps? I am going to set up a pressure relief valve so when I am not spraying it will bypass to the tank. Are you using the "Phelps Wand" out of pvc or regular wand? Thanks for the help and info.

The pump that came with this setup is cast iron, but when/if it fails will be replaced with one of the higher quality pumps made for harsher chems.

I use a bootleg homemade phelps wand.

Never seen your stuff Jon, I imagine long gone now